oxi

Options
kennyt
kennyt Member Posts: 110

How important is the oxi in the chemo mix?

Comments

  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    Oxi

    that drug is the main ingredient in the Folfox combo...considered a 1st line drug...platinum based...

  • kennyt
    kennyt Member Posts: 110
    Options
    Sundanceh said:

    Oxi

    that drug is the main ingredient in the Folfox combo...considered a 1st line drug...platinum based...

    so would that be the most

    so would that be the most important drug in the xelox avastin mix? i'm just curious after my first infusion I had minimal side effects hopefully that continues

  • lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options
    kennyt said:

    so would that be the most

    so would that be the most important drug in the xelox avastin mix? i'm just curious after my first infusion I had minimal side effects hopefully that continues

    Hey Kenny,

    I have to double check but what I read was that the cancer fighting drug is still the Xeloda (5-FU). Oxalyplatin makes the 5-FU stay in the cell longer, increasing its efficiency. 

    Folfox hit me a little harder then Xeloda. Nothing in my fingers or toes, but I'm a little more shaky, my voice was a little horsey for a couple of hours and I got those zings in my jaw when started eating. These effects are accumulative, so we have to watch out for the next few times.

    Laz

  • BusterBrown
    BusterBrown Member Posts: 221 Member
    Options
     
    When I was dx'd in 2004

     

    When I was dx'd in 2004 with crc and liver mets my Onc put me on Folfox. After 3/4 doses I had a CT and the 3 spots on my liver were gone. For me, Folfox has worked well. Fast forward to 2013, I'm on Folfox again to combat some more liver mets. After my 4th dose, Folfox has made a dramatic improvment.  

    To answer your question, it's been very important to me...

     

    Buster

  • kennyt
    kennyt Member Posts: 110
    Options

     
    When I was dx'd in 2004

     

    When I was dx'd in 2004 with crc and liver mets my Onc put me on Folfox. After 3/4 doses I had a CT and the 3 spots on my liver were gone. For me, Folfox has worked well. Fast forward to 2013, I'm on Folfox again to combat some more liver mets. After my 4th dose, Folfox has made a dramatic improvment.  

    To answer your question, it's been very important to me...

     

    Buster

    thanks

    Laz, I had minor finger stuff and the room temp drinks lasted about 3-4 days

  • Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Options
    Side effects...

    they can be accumulative. As usual, it all depends on the individual. 

    The jaw zingy thing went away real quick as did the throat constriction when drinking cold liquids.  The cold sensitivity went away quickly too but all of these were replaced by equally or worse side effects; Thrush and fatigue being the worst.  I lost my hair too.

    I should be having my first post treatment CT scan in the next couple of weeks, and hopefully I can report as BusterBrown, and say that it worked for me. 

    Good luck as you continue this journey. 

  • kennyt
    kennyt Member Posts: 110
    Options
    Trubrit said:

    Side effects...

    they can be accumulative. As usual, it all depends on the individual. 

    The jaw zingy thing went away real quick as did the throat constriction when drinking cold liquids.  The cold sensitivity went away quickly too but all of these were replaced by equally or worse side effects; Thrush and fatigue being the worst.  I lost my hair too.

    I should be having my first post treatment CT scan in the next couple of weeks, and hopefully I can report as BusterBrown, and say that it worked for me. 

    Good luck as you continue this journey. 

    side effects

    I'm holding out for minimal side effects for us all. good luck with your ct

  • db8ne1
    db8ne1 Member Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Oxi

    As stated in a previous post, oxi helps the 5FU to be more effective.  That said, it's a lot more toxic than the 5FU.  So, you have to weigh the benefits with the potential long term (possibly permanent side effects). 

    I suggest keeping a log of side effects and discussing with your oncologist prior to every round.  Some people tolerate the oxi well and can handle it well for the full 12 rounds.  I saw a post from 1 member here who had a horrible reaction during round 1 and her doc cut the oxi completely from her regimen.  I've seen many more posts from people who had very few side effects and worked full time throughout.   My 1st 3 rounds produced horrible side effects (pain being the worst).  Affter round 3 my legs would go out on me, my hands cramped closed, as did my lips - among other side effects.  So, Round 4 the onc cut the oxi back by 25%.  That helped.  I just had round 7 this past Wednesday - so I'm good with only getting 75% of my recommended dosage of oxi and hoping I can stay that way to the end.

    That said, everyone is different.  You may just breeze through the rounds.  I pray you do!

    Best,

    Jenni

  • kennyt
    kennyt Member Posts: 110
    Options
    lp1964 said:

    Hey Kenny,

    I have to double check but what I read was that the cancer fighting drug is still the Xeloda (5-FU). Oxalyplatin makes the 5-FU stay in the cell longer, increasing its efficiency. 

    Folfox hit me a little harder then Xeloda. Nothing in my fingers or toes, but I'm a little more shaky, my voice was a little horsey for a couple of hours and I got those zings in my jaw when started eating. These effects are accumulative, so we have to watch out for the next few times.

    Laz

    laz after

    my second infusion the fingers and toe are very tingly I hope this subsides hard to even use a pencil

  • lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options
    kennyt said:

    laz after

    my second infusion the fingers and toe are very tingly I hope this subsides hard to even use a pencil

    I'm sorry...

    ...Kenny. I'm getting my second dose next Monday and that's very concerning. As you know I'm a dentist holding fine instruments and making fine movements with my hands. I'll talk to my doctor, maybe we could reduce the dose a little.

    Lets hang in there man. I wish you a quick recovery.

    Laz

  • MaryCarol5
    MaryCarol5 Member Posts: 102
    Options
    mine was cut

    I am one of those rare ones that had a horrible reaction to the oxy- so bad in fact that it scared my onc.  I will not revisit it unless the cancer returns. 

    I hope that noone else has such a hard time and can tolerate it long enough to increase their chances of NED!

    MC