stent question

My mother had surgery for USPC 2 weeks ago (clear PET scan; after surgery doc said stage 1, then said, "Well, technically stage 2 since pathologist saw microscopic cells in cervix"...all else was "clear"...nothing in lymph, abdomen, omentum, and so on). She is preparing for sandwich therapy, and the home health nurse mentioned today that an "order for a stent" has been placed. Can anyone tell me what the stent is for? I assume that this is different from a port??? I'm open to ANY info...about chemo or anything else. This info is for me; I'll leave it to the medical folks to inform her, or she can decide to join this forum, if she chooses. Thank you so much! 

Comments

• txtrisha55
    txtrisha55 Member Posts: 693 Member
    I think it is basically the same thing.

It is a vehicle that is placed under the skin with a tube going into a main blood vein in order to have a way to get drugs and take blood out without having to find a vein each time.  It will be a great tool for the nurses to have and it will save her veins in the long run.  I had a medical port in for 1.5 years until they finally removed it in Jan.  It helped a lot. Prayers for you and your mom. trisha

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    As Trish indicated, the

As Trish indicated, the medical port saves the veins.  It is good.  I had mine in for six (6) years.  I only used it for chemo for six months, but they left it in as a precaution.  My best to you and your mom.

Kathy

• Peskin
    Peskin Member Posts: 3

It is a vehicle that is placed under the skin with a tube going into a main blood vein in order to have a way to get drugs and take blood out without having to find a vein each time.  It will be a great tool for the nurses to have and it will save her veins in the long run.  I had a medical port in for 1.5 years until they finally removed it in Jan.  It helped a lot. Prayers for you and your mom. trisha

Thanks, Trish

Thank you so much for answering my question about a stent. And what an adorable photo! -Rebecca

• Peskin
    Peskin Member Posts: 3
    Kaleena said:

As Trish indicated, the

As Trish indicated, the medical port saves the veins.  It is good.  I had mine in for six (6) years.  I only used it for chemo for six months, but they left it in as a precaution.  My best to you and your mom.

Kathy

Thanks, Kathy

Much thanks, Kathy!

• txtrisha55
    txtrisha55 Member Posts: 693 Member

Bard Access Systems

This is the name of the brand and style of port they put in me. 

http://www.bardaccess.com/port-powerport.php?section=Overview

It makes it easy to access for chemo treatments and saves the veins.

Good luck to your Mom. trish

• Sara Zipora
    Sara Zipora Member Posts: 231
    Don't mean to be complicated

But are we talking about a venal port, a type of upside down, smooth coke bottle cap, that attaches internally to vein so that chemo and blood tests and sometimes blood transfusions can be given through port and not through body of vein.

or....a Stent

are they talking of a Stent, when used in the hrart it is an aluminium, I think, woven tuve which allow blood to flow thru it and unblock blocked veins or arteries.

Recently I was referred to a Urologist, and onco urologist, as scar tissue from radiation that apped lesions and tumors have been pushing on my ureter a pipe joining the kidney and bladder. they recommended a stent to allow better flow of urine to bladder.

Here theStent is la straw like thing that is placed in ureter , picle that joins kidney to ureter to help kidne drain. Some hthat'll be implanted like tampon  into body, either from south or north sometimes writh with a piece, 

Anyway check out whys and where gofers of Stent vs, Port.

Sara