Yet another PEG question for y'all

Since this board is WAY more informative than anyone or anything else...I need to ask yet another PEG question.

Peggy and I have gotten along pretty well.  She saved me and I'm forever grateful for a rad oncologist who stepped in and ordered it for me.  I am having one issue.  It's no secret that I want this thing out, but it's seriously causing me pain tonight.  It's burning right where it goes into my belly and it a little red looking.  I ate strawberries and now it's burning and (gross) the tube is turning pink with the (gross) remnants of the strawberries.  I have food float around through there sometimes after eating.  It never has burned before, just looks freaky and is gross.  haha  I'm calling the nurse in the morning to see what she has to say.  Thought I'd see if y'all had any insights for me...

Comments

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Is the clamp shut?

my clamp was forever coming open, and when it did, food would start backing up the tube.  For the red "sore" stuff around the entrance, my Onc had me get some 3 Way Ointment (antibacterial)....it took the hurt almost instantly....plus it kinda lubes the area, so that makes it feel better, too.

p

• yensid683
    yensid683 Member Posts: 349
    sore stoma

could be a minor infection, so topical bacitracin could work, or it's just plain irritated.  My RO nurse recommended something called 'calmoseptin'.  A thick cream that reminded me of the desitin diaper rash stuff we used on our kids so long ago.  I only needed to use it a couple of times, but is made it feel so much better.

As for back up in the tube, make sure the clamp is closed and is closer to the stoma.  I found that if I wasn't careful about keeping that clamp closed I'd get quite a back up in the tube and it would smell like a dorm room the morning after a first drunk experience. 

Talking with the nurse is a good idea, it could always be something odd but it sounds like local irritation.

• TracyLynn72
    TracyLynn72 Member Posts: 839
    No clamp

Mine doesn't have a clamp.  Just a "stopper" in the part where I put the syringe.  Everything I eat comes trickling through but once I flush it with water it's gone again.  The pink strawberry stuff is hanging around.  I'm calling the nurse to see what she says :)

• fishmanpa
    fishmanpa Member Posts: 1,227 Member
    Minor infection

Hi Tracy,

I typically get a build up of gooky "stuff" I clean up around the opening twice a day and at least once a week I get a little soreness and redness around the opening. So, in addition to cleaning, I take a q-tip and put an anti bacterial gel around the area. Clears it right up!

"T"

• MarineE5
    MarineE5 Member Posts: 1,030 Member

No clamp

Mine doesn't have a clamp.  Just a "stopper" in the part where I put the syringe.  Everything I eat comes trickling through but once I flush it with water it's gone again.  The pink strawberry stuff is hanging around.  I'm calling the nurse to see what she says :)

Tracy,

I had the same type of Peg Tube that you speak of. It had a little stopper that folded into the tube after Flushing/Feeding. One day, it popped open after I was done feeding and of course we all know the results. For a simple solution, I then found a small rubber band. After flushing or feeding, I would push in the cap/stopper and then fold the stopper along with about 2 inches of the tube over itself like you would a garden hose that doesn't have a nozzle on it to stop the flow of water. I would then wrap the rubber band over the now folded, crimped tube and I never had anymore leakage.

Yes, there will be back wash into the tube after feeding/ eating. Soreness, I did have irritation about once a week like "T" also. Basically did what was mentioned already, Q-tip cleaning and some creams. I found that it was just easier to take a shower twice a day to allow the water to clean the area as well.

My Best to You and Everyone Here

• phrannie51
    MarineE5 said:

Tracy,

I had the same type of Peg Tube that you speak of. It had a little stopper that folded into the tube after Flushing/Feeding. One day, it popped open after I was done feeding and of course we all know the results. For a simple solution, I then found a small rubber band. After flushing or feeding, I would push in the cap/stopper and then fold the stopper along with about 2 inches of the tube over itself like you would a garden hose that doesn't have a nozzle on it to stop the flow of water. I would then wrap the rubber band over the now folded, crimped tube and I never had anymore leakage.

Yes, there will be back wash into the tube after feeding/ eating. Soreness, I did have irritation about once a week like "T" also. Basically did what was mentioned already, Q-tip cleaning and some creams. I found that it was just easier to take a shower twice a day to allow the water to clean the area as well.

My Best to You and Everyone Here

LOL...I'm so ignorant....

I honestly didn't know they made feeding tubes without clamps....so my first thought was they didn't put one on yours for some reason.....and thought how unhandly that would be!!

Now I know....not all Peggy's have clamps.....ha!

p

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member

I honestly didn't know they made feeding tubes without clamps....so my first thought was they didn't put one on yours for some reason.....and thought how unhandly that would be!!

p

thinking same

Even though I did not have the pleaure of living with PEGgy, I was thinking I'd be getting me a hose clamp asap and clamping right where it exposes itself to the world. There are those small pnich hose clamps that would work fine to keep all exposed part of the tube free and clear.  something like this.

The other thought would be to insert a small valve. Twist to open and twist to shutoff. That woud also keep everything from passing and cut the smells assuming the smell is coming from the tube. something like this

don

• phrannie51
    donfoo said:

thinking same

Even though I did not have the pleaure of living with PEGgy, I was thinking I'd be getting me a hose clamp asap and clamping right where it exposes itself to the world. There are those small pnich hose clamps that would work fine to keep all exposed part of the tube free and clear.  something like this.

The other thought would be to insert a small valve. Twist to open and twist to shutoff. That woud also keep everything from passing and cut the smells assuming the smell is coming from the tube. something like this

don

Wow Don....that

first one you linked might be just the ticket....

p

• ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    fishmanpa said:

Minor infection

Hi Tracy,

I typically get a build up of gooky "stuff" I clean up around the opening twice a day and at least once a week I get a little soreness and redness around the opening. So, in addition to cleaning, I take a q-tip and put an anti bacterial gel around the area. Clears it right up!

"T"

acid will cause burning

Your stomach contents is an acid which is always going to hurt coming out of whatever hole you give it access to.  This and infection will keep it hurting on an ongoing basis. Ask the nurse how to adjust the bumper if it has one. Best to not keep that rubber bumper on the skin all day long, move it up a 1/4 inch if you can so you can clean and put gauze, and antiseptics/lubricants under every day or several times per day as necessary. Mine had a bumper on either side of the stomach wall, like two donuts with a tube going through each one, Those donuts move or at least you can spin the outside one around the tube and move it up or down. Use a wide Ace bandage to keep it neatly tucked away and the stopper in place. A strawberry stain on the tube is no big deal, just flush the tube clean. Watch out for door knobs and such when not tucked away.

• CajunEagle
    CajunEagle Member Posts: 408
    ratface said:

acid will cause burning

Your stomach contents is an acid which is always going to hurt coming out of whatever hole you give it access to.  This and infection will keep it hurting on an ongoing basis. Ask the nurse how to adjust the bumper if it has one. Best to not keep that rubber bumper on the skin all day long, move it up a 1/4 inch if you can so you can clean and put gauze, and antiseptics/lubricants under every day or several times per day as necessary. Mine had a bumper on either side of the stomach wall, like two donuts with a tube going through each one, Those donuts move or at least you can spin the outside one around the tube and move it up or down. Use a wide Ace bandage to keep it neatly tucked away and the stopper in place. A strawberry stain on the tube is no big deal, just flush the tube clean. Watch out for door knobs and such when not tucked away.

Depends on how brave one is, but

when my PEG tube would get looking like something was growing in it, .......(I know this sounds strange)......I would "pinch it off", and after popping the cap off, I would insert a wooden pointed skewer stick down inside the tube and it did a great job of cleaning the crud out of it.  I had my tube for 14 months, and it started to get pretty bad looking towards the end.  Being that it was getting worse and worse, it became highly motivating for me to re-learn how to eat and swallow.  Peggy and I were getting tired of our affair.

Larry

• TracyLynn72
    My nurse

wasn't in today :(  It's still burning (which it has never done this whole time I've had it..) and it's basically just annoying me today.  I feel a little more hunched over due to the burn/stinging feeling, but I'll get up with her in the morning.  I always clean it very well and it's never bothered me until last night (except for the tape rash).  Thank you all for your help...again!! :)

• TracyLynn72

p

Not ignorant!!

I didn't know they had Peggys WITH clamps!!  Haha!!!!  We learn something every single day!!!!

• robswife87
    robswife87 Member Posts: 209

My nurse

wasn't in today :(  It's still burning (which it has never done this whole time I've had it..) and it's basically just annoying me today.  I feel a little more hunched over due to the burn/stinging feeling, but I'll get up with her in the morning.  I always clean it very well and it's never bothered me until last night (except for the tape rash).  Thank you all for your help...again!! :)

Bumper against Skin?

Does it have a bumper against the skin tight where it goes in. Robs got a little tight and we just had to loosed in off the skin about 1/4 and clean it real good and then use a drain sponge for a day just so nothing touched it and it would be good as new

• TracyLynn72
    The order is in...

to take Peggy out in the morning!  They said it looked very irritated but NOT  infected.  Since I'm eating so well and I've maintained my weight (up 1/2 lb) for over a month...they are going to take it out at 9am tomorrow!  Woohoo!!

• fishmanpa
    fishmanpa Member Posts: 1,227 Member

The order is in...

to take Peggy out in the morning!  They said it looked very irritated but NOT  infected.  Since I'm eating so well and I've maintained my weight (up 1/2 lb) for over a month...they are going to take it out at 9am tomorrow!  Woohoo!!

Pretty Peggy O

Great news!

Peggy O was a song I remember from my childhood. It's on the very first album I ever owned and one that influenced me in my music career. The album was Wednesday Morning 3am by Simon and Garfunkel.

In this case Peggy not the pretty girl in the song and I bet you're glad to be rid of her!

"T"

• CherieLW
    CherieLW Member Posts: 472

No clamp

My dad's does this as well. 

My dad's does this as well.  I thought the nurse said it was not a concern.  No hurt in double checking.  Hope it's no big!

• robswife87
    robswife87 Member Posts: 209

The order is in...

Great News

Once you hear her pop out, it is another celebration in taking your life back from the "evil one"

Sandy