Dumb question: If my cancerous (presumably diseased) kidney is gone, do I have kidney disease?

Comments

• todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448 Member
    Djinnie said:

Missed on Scan

Hi Texas, I know it is easy to miss something on a scan, and it often happens. However in my case they were supposed to be checking the right kidney for a tumour recurrence. The MRI which I had later showed the tumour smack bang on the old site. I was very angry at the time, but there is little point in fretting over it, you just have to deal with it. I consider myself lucky that they found it, albeit belatedly.

Djinnie x

Radiologists

I wonder if radiologists can be held accountable for malpractice? I know it doesn't help, really. But still, it sounds like malpractice.

Todd

• TillieSOK
    TillieSOK Member Posts: 252
    anmazon said:

Scary, Nu?

Fuggeddabout lions, tigers and bears, we've got Annie, Alex and Tillie!

Annie

And we are here to stay!

Laughing  And we are here to stay!

• anmazon
    anmazon Member Posts: 144
    TillieSOK said:

And we are here to stay!

Laughing  And we are here to stay!

Yeah!

Innocent Yeah!!!

• Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    todd121 said:

Radiologists

I wonder if radiologists can be held accountable for malpractice? I know it doesn't help, really. But still, it sounds like malpractice.

Todd

Malpractice

Of course they can - in principle - but being able to make anything stick is a different matter entirely! 

Moreover, of course, there's a limit to what we should demand, in our own best interests - we don't want to set the bar of personal liability so high that we put prospects off from entering a crucially important medical field, or alternatively make them so frightened of litigation as to inhibit them in expressing their judgements.

I think that our best defence lies in having a well set up system with enough back up to allow adequate double-checking, ideally in the context of the MDT approach - multi-disciplinary teams, giving each case very thorough consideration.

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    anmazon said:

butt ugly

Tillie, you are a beautiful soul, and,  I am certain, a beautiful person, but I think everyone is butt ugly when they cry (and none so much as I).

I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't laugh.

Annie

late to the party

But all the talk about chilli dogs got to me. So I heated up some pizza. I have excellent blood work so until something shows an issue, I live like I have a thousand years to go. I would go crazy counting calories, watching carbs and fats etc. Those weren't the factors that got me into this mess.

• anmazon
    foxhd said:

late to the party

But all the talk about chilli dogs got to me. So I heated up some pizza. I have excellent blood work so until something shows an issue, I live like I have a thousand years to go. I would go crazy counting calories, watching carbs and fats etc. Those weren't the factors that got me into this mess.

Fox, I love your 'tude

And I hope to someday reach that point, but in the meantime, I'm jumping at shadows and scared spitless of about everything.

Except for the night of the Perro caliente con Chile.

Annie

• anmazon
    Deodorant Info from My Doc

Finally asked my doc about deodorant. I thought this was interesting.  Definitely not going "French" though.

Concerns about antiperspirants and kidney disease were first raised many years ago, when dialysis patients were given a drug called aluminum hydroxide to help control high phosphorus levels in their blood. Because their kidneys weren't functioning properly, their bodies couldn't remove the aluminum fast enough, and it began accumulating. Scientists noticed that dialysis patients who had these high aluminum levels were more likely to develop dementia.

As a result, the FDA requires antiperspirant labels to carry a warning that reads, "Ask a doctor before use if you have kidney disease." Yet this warning is only meant for people whose kidneys are functioning at 30% or less.

In reality, it's almost impossible to absorb enough aluminum through the skin to harm the kidneys. "Unless you eat your stick or spray it into your mouth (DEFINITELY DON”T DO THIS), your body can't absorb that much aluminum," says nephrologist Leslie Spry, MD, FACP, spokesperson for the National Kidney Foundation.

Since there are probably many alternatives (or you could simply go “French”), I would probably make a change.

JD

• garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647
    anmazon said:

Deodorant Info from My Doc

Finally asked my doc about deodorant. I thought this was interesting.  Definitely not going "French" though.

Concerns about antiperspirants and kidney disease were first raised many years ago, when dialysis patients were given a drug called aluminum hydroxide to help control high phosphorus levels in their blood. Because their kidneys weren't functioning properly, their bodies couldn't remove the aluminum fast enough, and it began accumulating. Scientists noticed that dialysis patients who had these high aluminum levels were more likely to develop dementia.

As a result, the FDA requires antiperspirant labels to carry a warning that reads, "Ask a doctor before use if you have kidney disease." Yet this warning is only meant for people whose kidneys are functioning at 30% or less.

In reality, it's almost impossible to absorb enough aluminum through the skin to harm the kidneys. "Unless you eat your stick or spray it into your mouth (DEFINITELY DON”T DO THIS), your body can't absorb that much aluminum," says nephrologist Leslie Spry, MD, FACP, spokesperson for the National Kidney Foundation.

Since there are probably many alternatives (or you could simply go “French”), I would probably make a change.

JD

New deodorant...

I got this new stick deodorant today.  The instructions said remove cap and push up bottom.

I can barely walk, but my farts smell awesome.

• MDCinSC
    MDCinSC Member Posts: 574
    garym said:

New deodorant...

I got this new stick deodorant today.  The instructions said remove cap and push up bottom.

Speaking of dementia!

Tongue Out

• GSRon
    GSRon Member Posts: 1,303 Member
    MDCinSC said:

Speaking of dementia!

Tongue Out

Speaking of

Or dillusions of grandeur, big time...!!  :)

• anmazon
    aaaaagh!

That stinks!

Annie

• Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945 Member
    garym said:

New deodorant...

Deodorant

You had what they call a Mum Bum Gary:-) I hesitate to ask what you are using on you armpits!!

Djinnie x

• garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647
    Djinnie said:

Deodorant

You had what they call a Mum Bum Gary:-) I hesitate to ask what you are using on you armpits!!

Djinnie x

It could only be...

Preparation H

• Djinnie
    garym said:

It could only be...

Preparation H

I am just glad that

I am just glad that toothpaste has not entered the equation!! 

Djinnie x

• anmazon
    ....so someone sent me this information about toothpaste...

Innocent

• anmazon

Innocent

• Djinnie
    anmazon said:

Innocent

Was it the tale about the

Was it the tale about the old man who confused his toothpaste with preparation H?....and cured his hemmorrhoids with Colgate? 

• anmazon
    Toothpaste

Yeah, then he pushed his deodorant up his bottom...

And then it got really ugly.

Annie

• TillieSOK
    TillieSOK Member Posts: 252
    garym said:

New deodorant...

(No subject)

Laughing

• Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    anmazon said:

Toothpaste

Yeah, then he pushed his deodorant up his bottom...

And then it got really ugly.

Annie

Sick humour

Huh!!  and Gary and I get called 'the bad boys'!