Cryoablation for kidney cancer

2»

Comments

• doekostelac
    doekostelac Member Posts: 6
    Revd331 said:

Cryoablation

Like several others on this site, I just had a cryoablation procedure For a 4.3 cm kidney mass. I carefully selected the doctor who I thought had the most experience in this area. I asked for all the side effects that could occur. But a large lump, described by others as the size of an eggplant, was never mentioned until after the fact when I was told this happens in about 5% of the time. I was told it could have been nerve damage, that COULD go away in about a month. If not I would probably need to do exercises to strengthen the muscles that have been made weak from the nerve damage. I'm not certain this makes any sense to me. Also, I don't see where any doctor gives a definitive response to this particular issue.

swelling after Cryoablation

I had my procedure on April 14th, 2017.  As soon as I got home from my procedure, I noticed my right abdomen was very swollen.  To date (June 11, 2017) it has not gone down at all.  I also have nerve damage pain right above my pelvic bone that goes up over my right hip and then down my right butt check.  My hope is to find someone's response that says it does eventually go away.  Can you tell me if you still have swelling and nerve damage pain?  My Doctor seems to be clueless on any of these side effects.

• doekostelac
    Popnot said:

Kidney cryo

I'm still have the swelling after 3 mos.Does anyone have any ideas about what is causing this swelling?all all my Dr.says is he thinks it is alose of musel and to use  some kind of wrap until the musel begin to work again.well that tells me that he has no idea what is causing this terrible swelling.Does anyone have any idea whars causing this.I think I might see my attorney in hope that the hospital we take this matter a little more serious.

Has it gotten any better?

I also have swelling on my right abdomen after cryoablation on my right kidney.  Has the swelling gone down at all?  

• doekostelac
    JennyDay said:

Cryo-bubble

Hi All, 

I had cryoablation done on my left kidney in May 2016. The morning after surgery I had a huge swollen buldge on the left front side of my abdomin. I was in a lot of pain for weeks. When the initial swelling went down approx a month later there was no more pain just a buldge about the size of a tennis ball in my side. I have had a CT scan and MRI and they show no scarring, no fluid nothing. The doctors have no idea what it is. It is now September and it is still here and does not want to budge. It feels like a balloon inside me. Which leads me to beleive that it is air or gas. I see that some of you had these symtoms. Did you figure out what it is? Thank you,

Any resolve to your issue yet

JennyDay,

I have had the same issue with swelling.  I am just shy of 2 months post procedure and my swelling has not gone down at all.   Just wondering if you ever received a firm answer from the doctor on what could cause this issue and if there is any medication to help?

• doekostelac
    edited June 2017 #25
    Blondee said:

I am experiencing the very

I am experiencing the very same thing after 10 days post op. Did you ever get a resolution? What was it? Any info greatly appreciated... Hope you are doing better by now. Thank you.

Update please

I am having the same problem.  Any explainations from your doctor and any relief from the swelling and the nerve pain?

• doekostelac
    roye1951 said:

cryoablation

Hello-

So happy to find this site.  I had cryoablation on right kidney after papillary renal cell cancer diagnosis.  Surgery was 12-18-14.  I am numb, have swelling and pain/discomfort.  I can do very little without fatigue and pain.  I'm very concerned and hope this goes away with time.

Ali

Swelling and Pain After Cryoablation

Hello there.  I do hope and pray that you are good as new by now.  It has been some times since your procedure and I was hoping that you are back to normal.

Did a DR ever explain the swelling and/or the pain?  My Dr. seems to be clueless.

• Abunai
    Abunai Member Posts: 173 Member
    Well, heck

It's a bit scary seeing all of these posts.

My cryoablation was a bit different in that it wasn't directly to my kidney. I had bone Mets in my femur and pelvis that presented a risk of fracture. Although I never felt any pain in that hip, the scans did show a pretty nasty picture.

My docs sold me on an operation in which they'd freeze and remove the mets,  install supportive rods all over and rebuild the bone with some sort of medical grade concrete. It was meant to improve my "quality of life".

I'm nearly six weeks post-op and I still have excruciating nerve pain in my foot, below the hip that was operated on.

I'm on the maximum dose of gabapentin that they'll give me, but that only takes the edge off the pain for a couple of hours. I been waking up from the pain at five in the morning and sweating through it until eight when I can take my next dose.

Not quite a quality of life enhancement.

Obviously, there was some sort of nerve damage done. I've been complaining about it since I woke up from the surgery but the docs don't seem to be concerned.

I'm scheduled to get a couple more mets in the same area cryoablated this Friday. Not sure what I'm going to do.

• ryetired
    ryetired Member Posts: 3
    how long before the pain went

how long before the pain went away?

• ryetired
    ryetired Member Posts: 3

swelling after Cryoablation

I had my procedure on April 14th, 2017.  As soon as I got home from my procedure, I noticed my right abdomen was very swollen.  To date (June 11, 2017) it has not gone down at all.  I also have nerve damage pain right above my pelvic bone that goes up over my right hip and then down my right butt check.  My hope is to find someone's response that says it does eventually go away.  Can you tell me if you still have swelling and nerve damage pain?  My Doctor seems to be clueless on any of these side effects.

pain

How long before you felt better?

• doekostelac
    abdomenal swelling after cryablation

Had my procedure April 14, 2017.  As of today Sept 20, 2017, the nerve pain has slowly gotten better although I still have some on my right hip.  The abdomenal swelling is still there but it may be getting a little better.  My primary care physician thinks that it is nerve damage and scheduled a test called an EMG with a neuroligist to verify.  Nothing can be done if it is nerve damage except hope that it eventually goes away. 

• Iceball 007
    Iceball 007 Member Posts: 4
    procedure scheduled

My cryoablation scheduled in 6 days. Was having mild flank pain and stinky urine so thought was another small kidney stone so My tumor 2.1 cm on 1st  CT scan was an incidental finding as they were hunting for a stone. tumor was confirmed 2.7 on ultrasound and 2nd contrasted CT scan was around 3 cm.  I am the third person in my immediate family to get cancer. Brother died at age 36 from stomach and esophageal cancer and mother at age 64 with pancreatic after having survived breast CA twice. I am taking the least invasive route and God willing this will take care of it. What I would like to know from anyone who posted is what is the recovery time. I have requested leave of absince from my work for 7 days not including weekends so about 12 days total. What kinda of pain might I experience. I have had a total knee in the past (ouch ouch out 5 weeks) with this little tumor I am expecting minimal pain from the procedure. Did everyone get adequate pain control? What was the back to work time for most of you? 

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    As stated above

Iceball,

Even though this procedure was named after me I don't have the answer. Let us know as Google did not give any real answers.

Icemantoo

• Iceball 007
    icemantoo said:

As stated above

Iceball,

Even though this procedure was named after me I don't have the answer. Let us know as Google did not give any real answers.

Icemantoo

Thanks icemantoo

Leaving work for pre-procedure appointment. Thanks icemantoo this thing has me a little nervous.

• Iceball 007
    procedure done and clear cell

Hey Iceman. Update procedure done biopsy said clear cell FN grade 2. follow up CT in March. Have not seen Oncologist but might go. Just learned my father may have lung CA, So that would mean My mother had cancer (Breast and pancreatic) my brother had CA (stomach n esophageal) and me with my kidney now ? my father. Unsure why my family is so cancer ridden but refuse to throw in any towel or give up. Supposedly this cryoablation took care of it but because of my family history I will do my best to stay on those follow ups CT scans and will probably request a referral to oncology. Hope you all are well.

• Debra dunn
    Debra dunn Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2021 #35

abdomenal swelling after cryablation

Had my procedure April 14, 2017.  As of today Sept 20, 2017, the nerve pain has slowly gotten better although I still have some on my right hip.  The abdomenal swelling is still there but it may be getting a little better.  My primary care physician thinks that it is nerve damage and scheduled a test called an EMG with a neuroligist to verify.  Nothing can be done if it is nerve damage except hope that it eventually goes away. 

Did your swelling ever go

Did your swelling ever go away?

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    edited April 2021 #36

Did your swelling ever go

Did your swelling ever go away?

Hi Debra

Welcome, Debra!

I'm glad you found us and posted a question.  I would encourage you to start a new thread and post some of your history with the question.  I'm hopeful you receive good feedback and information that will help you.  I had a partial rather than cryo, so I can't be much help.

Again, welcome!

Stub

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 237 Member

procedure done and clear cell

Hey Iceman. Update procedure done biopsy said clear cell FN grade 2. follow up CT in March. Have not seen Oncologist but might go. Just learned my father may have lung CA, So that would mean My mother had cancer (Breast and pancreatic) my brother had CA (stomach n esophageal) and me with my kidney now ? my father. Unsure why my family is so cancer ridden but refuse to throw in any towel or give up. Supposedly this cryoablation took care of it but because of my family history I will do my best to stay on those follow ups CT scans and will probably request a referral to oncology. Hope you all are well.

Icebal 007, have you had, or

Icebal 007, have you had, or are you planning to have, genetic testing? Not that it always means something. My dad had kidney cancer, my mom and a paternal aunt had breast cancer, my paternal grandmother and my dad had a lot of fairly low-grade skin cancers, my maternal grandmother had uterine cancer. I've had breast, kidney, uterine, and low-grade skin cancers. My genetic testing showed no connection on any of them. Some of us are just crap magnets. But they're all cancers I HAD, not have. I get my scans and other check-ups and get on with living. For me, dwelling on it is as life-consuming as any disease.

• Stillsexyat52
    Stillsexyat52 Member Posts: 1 *

I had the procedure done in April of this year an I'm still numb an feel the exact same way u do. Did they make a mistake? I was told I should have feelings back by now. I go for my CT scan on the 19th an I will be sure to see what's going on. I may have to get another opinion. I believe if they messed up they are not going to to truthful. I appreciate them trying to help me but I don't need anything else going wrong. Sometimes I get pain outta the blue in that area. An it's not the back where the procedure was done. It's my right side from my kidney to my waste an in front on the lower part of my stomach on the right side. Everything on my right-side is numb. If u every had frost bite an got numb an start to feel funny when the feeling comes back? It feeling like that but the feeling never comes back. If u feel an itch u can forget it cus it's like you're not scratching an it drives me nuts! I need help as well

• carwar
    carwar Member Posts: 1 *

Had procedure done 12/2/2022 on right kidney..next morning large swelling and pain around hip into lower abdomen..Dr says probably hit a nerve..and it's going to be that way for a while. Scan says they got it all 2.2 malignant tumor...second chance at this bad boy. Didn't like some of the reports in this thread on the outcome..