Update

fishmanpa
fishmanpa Member Posts: 1,227 Member

Hi Folks,

Yesterday, May 29th, was 5 weeks post treatment and the best I've felt in a very long time :)  I've had a few small steps backward here and again but I've definitely turned the corner and there are more steps forward than backward these days.

I went back to work part time (11-3pm) late last week and it's great to have some normalcy back in my life. The distraction is definitely welcome. I'm blessed that I enjoy my work and I really missed it. My boss and everyone else is very glad I'm back. 

While I still get most of my nutrition through the PEG, I started mixing in soft foods a little over a week ago and solid foods over the Memorial Day weekend (Believe it or not.... pigs in a blanket with macaroni salad, wonton soup and pad thai from the Thai place I love, fish in mushroom sauce with rice and pizza!) and I'm able to swallow my meds again :) For whatever reason I never lost my taste buds during treatments (Maybe they had seperation anxiety?). Some things are a little "off" but I'd say I have better than 95% of my taste. Sweets and cold stuff hurt like hell though (So I can taste ice cream but it hurts too much to eat it!... I bet you can taste the irony in that! ~lol~). Saliva is a goner for the most part but I'm beginning to have small periods of time where I seem to have a little saliva production. I lost 60 pounds since last fall before my heart attack (35 from the beginning of treatment). I'm downright skinny now! I haven't weighed this (167) since high school. I hope to get back to the gym and put on some muscle as I lost most of it during treatment. On the positive side, due to the weight loss, I no longer have to take my BP med. My bloodwork is excellent and in fact, this is the first time since I can remember that my cholesterol and triglycerides are normal :)

The side effects from the surgery are still troubling as my left shoulder has been greatly compromised. It's VERY weak and I'm not seeing much progress. The muscles in my neck are still pretty stiff but the stretching exercises help. I'm doing well with swallowing and my jaw although there is still an area in the back of my throat where they did a biopsy (and left a large divot) where food tends to get caught. Water is absolutely necessary while eating to help it go down. My throat feels fine but my mouth and tongue are still very sore and there's swelling to deal with as well. I'm still on pain meds but using smaller doses spread farther apart. Fatigue is the biggest issue but as I heal, I'm beginning to sleep better at nights (finally able to sleep in my bed!) and sleep is vital to recovery. 

I have a long way to go and it's been and will be very challenging, but overall, considering what I just went through and how I felt 5 weeks ago, I'm doing well.

Thank you all for your support, encouragement and knowledge. This site truly is and will continue to be a blessing and positive factor in helping Marcia and I navigate this journey we call cancer (Or in my case "Jack"). 

"T"

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    update "T"

Hi “T”,

I love saying that.

You have come a long way, but still have a tendency to double post.  You know that is an advanced sign of “excited healing” and foretells how great you will do.

I also feel like I have a divot (I call it a ledge) where food hides out for up to an hour after eating.

I don’t mean to pry (too much), but how is the voice?  Mine is better every day and I hope your is also.

Best,

Matt

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member
    Great news "T"

"T"

Glad your pushing forward. I had to do about 7 months of physical therapy to get my left shoulder back. I lost 92 pounds and alot was muscle up in my shoulders. Pee Wee Herman probably could have kicked my butt. My Therapist was just a petite little thing, she worked my neck beacuse of swelling from the neck dissection along with the shoulder issue. Many times she was so rough I thought she was trying to touch her fingers together from one side of my neck to the other. But, at no time was I about to show that this petite woman was hurting me so I just layed back and took it. So, in the event you go to physical therapy when you meet her tell her you want it rough then duck.

All kidding aside, I am glad your healing well and makeing your way to the new norm. Tell Marcia..........Good Job.........She deserves alot of credit.

Jeff

• TracyLynn72
    TracyLynn72 Member Posts: 839
    Encouraged!

Congrats!  It's great reading such wonderful news, it's so encouraging!  I hope each and every day is better and better!  Thanks for helping us newbies feel better about things. 

• fishmanpa
    fishmanpa Member Posts: 1,227 Member
    CivilMatt said:

update "T"

Hi “T”,

I love saying that.

You have come a long way, but still have a tendency to double post.  You know that is an advanced sign of “excited healing” and foretells how great you will do.

I also feel like I have a divot (I call it a ledge) where food hides out for up to an hour after eating.

I don’t mean to pry (too much), but how is the voice?  Mine is better every day and I hope your is also.

Best,

Matt

The Voice

Matt,

I pretty much lost my voice the end of treatment but now it's fine. Strong and steady. I haven't tried singing yet. The swelling in my mouth affects my speech a little but that will get better. I have a gig in July (wedding) so I'll know soon enough how I'll be :)

The double posting thing I can't figure out. It's like I have tourettes of the fingers! 

"T"

• HelenBack
    HelenBack Member Posts: 87 Member
    Wonderful!

Thanks for the update! Sounds like it's going well. I can't believe you get to have taste! I think my husband would trade his good shoulder for your taster. 

Pizza? Whaaaat? 

And really, really cool you get to get off of the BP meds! Amazing!

Keep it up,

Helen

• jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    I am so happy for you T

I pray that your voice will be perfect for the wedding gig and your recovery continues in a fast and speedy way.

Blessings

Debbie

• Chris and Marianne
    Chris and Marianne Member Posts: 25
    yeah T

T,

So happy to hear of your progress. Your attitude sounds great too. Keep up the good work.

Chris & Marianne

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Cool Deal..

Sounds like you are coming along exEEEElent.

JG