Help - Anyone know anything about sewing lycra?

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member

I need a swimsuit!  Can not find a suitable one that fits.  Basically at my age, what I want is a takini but all I've found are all too big.  So today I was in the fabric store and patterns were on sale for $0.99 so the thought hit me make one (40+ years ago I made a lot of bikinis for me) so the thought hit me - make one!  I bought the 3 patterns I liked but wasn't sure which I liked best ((they ranged from $16.50 - $19.50 each reg. price)  I found some lycra I liked a lot, swimsuit lining and sew in bra.  Was feeling good until some 'pebble' behind me in line decided to tell me that I was so stupid to "try to sew lycra".

It's been so long since I used lycra so hoping I can get some input - PLEASE!

Winyan - Thee Power Within

Susan

Comments

• to overlock or not to overlock...

If you have one terrific, if not, it's still very doable with the correct stitch or stitches.  

This site has some great tips: 

http://my-little-nook.blogspot.com/2011/06/tips-for-sewing-lycra.html

I'd like to add a couple of things that have served me well over the years.

• You'll want a new needle, machine needles get blunt.
    • Place masking tape over your seamlines before pinning, this helps with foot slippage, prevents snagging, and inadvertently stretching as you sew.  Don't worry, you'll tear it away later. 

And by all means...try some practice stitches.

Enjoy the process and remember, we want pictures!

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

to overlock or not to overlock...

If you have one terrific, if not, it's still very doable with the correct stitch or stitches.  

This site has some great tips: 

http://my-little-nook.blogspot.com/2011/06/tips-for-sewing-lycra.html

I'd like to add a couple of things that have served me well over the years.

• You'll want a new needle, machine needles get blunt.
    • Place masking tape over your seamlines before pinning, this helps with foot slippage, prevents snagging, and inadvertently stretching as you sew.  Don't worry, you'll tear it away later. 

And by all means...try some practice stitches.

Enjoy the process and remember, we want pictures!

Do you have a serger?

Zoom zoom.  Just be careful because it will trim the seam at the same time it sews.  For the topstitching around the neck arms and legs, a zig zag (either minimal or a lot - your choice) will provide "give" on the curves and stretch.  You can also do the seams on a regular machine.  Again a slight zig zag will allow the seam to stretch with the stretch of the lycra. 

Good luck.  The throught of sewing my own swim suit used to seem like a good idea.  You're a brave woman . .  

Suzanne

• flatpikr
    flatpikr Member Posts: 11
    Sewing activewear

There is a good reference book called "Sewing Activewear" that has a section on swimsuits.  It's available at Amazon for about $10.  It's part of the Singer Sewing Reference Library series.   Good luck!