Diet help? Soy has estrogen?

Whitneyburk
Whitneyburk Member Posts: 4

Does anyone know of a website or book that has info on diet while battleing breast cancer? I found the John Hopkins one online but it has soybeans listed as a cancer fighting food but other people tell me soy has lots of estrogen. My cancer is estrogen receptor positive, so do I need to cut soy out of my diet as well? When I try to search info online I end up getting too much info about my prognosis and then my head starts to spin with negative thoughts and I just don't need to do that to myself. I thought some of you may have found a useful website or book  that contains detailed information. One with recipes or meal ideas would be an added bonus!

Thanks!!!

Whitney

Comments

• RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Hi Whitney

Soy is a no no for Estrogen Receptor Breast Cancer like you and I.  Actually if you google Food for Estrogen Poss Cancers the good foods are listed.  Many Supplements are not a good thing either.  There will be a lot of ladies who will pass on specific information and websityou to you here I am certain..  There is also a list of foods thought to help the function of Tamoxifen, that was interesting though do wonder if all these things are proven.  Just common sense really.  I think I just googled foods and Tamoxifen and up it popped.  Know what you mean though, your head goes into a spin.

• cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    breastcancer.org has some

breastcancer.org has some good forums for diet and the like.

Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment

Alternative Medicine

and Healthy Recipes for Everyday Living

I hope those can help you out,too.

• jojo2
    jojo2 Member Posts: 28
    "There are three classes of

"There are three classes of phyoestrogens:

• Isoflavonoids, found in legumes, with soybeans being the major dietary source of this compound.
    • Lignans, found in cereal bran, beans, fruits and vegetables, with flaxseed having the highest amount.
    • Coumestan, found in peas, pinto and lima beans, with alfalfa and clover sprouts having the highest amounts."

Wild yam, by the way, is not related to sweet potatoes or yams that we often eat in the United States. The root of the wild yam is used to make supplements that some women take to treat menopausal symptoms or osteoporosis, but there's no evidence that it's effective. Always talk to your health care provider before taking any supplement. You should definitely avoid taking phytoestrogen-based supplements, such as soy isoflavones or black cohosh. Also, reduce your intake of soy products (e.g., tofu, miso, tempeh, soymilk), flaxseed, alfalfa and clover to keep your phytoestrogen intake close to the United States average, which is considered quite low.

This quote is from healthywomen.org for a short guide. On my exit nutrition counselling I was told I could eat these foods in moderation. I disagree and avoid them completely. jojo2

• DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

Hi Whitney

Soy is a no no for Estrogen Receptor Breast Cancer like you and I.  Actually if you google Food for Estrogen Poss Cancers the good foods are listed.  Many Supplements are not a good thing either.  There will be a lot of ladies who will pass on specific information and websityou to you here I am certain..  There is also a list of foods thought to help the function of Tamoxifen, that was interesting though do wonder if all these things are proven.  Just common sense really.  I think I just googled foods and Tamoxifen and up it popped.  Know what you mean though, your head goes into a spin.

I was told by my onco not to

I was told by my onco not to have any soy since I am estrogen positive.  But he also said that it is impossible to not get some soy as it is hidden in a lot of foods.  Just be cautious and do your best.

The ACS used to have something about nutrition and a few recipes too.  Check that out.

Google is a good place to start to find menus or cookbooks.  Let us know what you find.

• cathyp
    cathyp Member Posts: 376 Member
    I recently changed my diet to

I recently changed my diet to plant based and had a consult with a MSKCC nutritionist.  I asked about soy (I was ER+) and she stated that 3 servings per week of a natural soy product is ok, soy beans, tofu.  

If you are not following a specific diet and eat packaged and procesed foods, you will be amazed once you read the labels.  Soy seems to be in everything.  This is the processed soy to avoid. 

What is confusing is some products like soy and flax seed could ward off BC.  Then, after our dx's we need to avoid these.  Doesn't seem to make sense hence the confusion! 

Cathy