Stage IV colon cancer - metastasis to liver -new

Hi I am new here to the site.. My mother was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer that had to many metastasis to the liver.. She has a large tumor in her cecum, it is a very aggessive cancer, on October 15, 2012. I moved my parents out here in Oregon so they would get the best care , with me watching over they arrived 1 month later, with mom needing to start chemo asap. She was doing really good on the folfox with avastin, her CEA went from 2969 down to 69 with the 8 treatments , but the 8th one landed her in the hospital for a week and they had her take a break for the last 6 weeks..... since then she has falling more and more.... she does not move more then when she has to ... Is that normal in the advance stages of colon cancer? I tell her she needs to get out more, but I am not sure if I am pushing her to hard.. It seems the harder I push the more she fails or lands in the hsopital..

I guess I turned here , because my family has no idea what my dad and I go through to keep her here with us , every day is a battle for her and us...I am hoping to find some answers in , if pushing her is the thing to do....any suggestions??? Just trying to keep her fighting the fight. Thanks for listen, prayers and hopes to you all fighting this fight , all of you are my heros...

Tina

Comments

• jasminsaba
    jasminsaba Member Posts: 157 Member
    Hi ...

Hello Tina - I am sorry you find yourself in this situation. My question is this: is your mom not moving around and active due to depression or physical discomfort? If she is feeling fatigued due to her treatments, then it might only add to her frustration if you continue to push ... also, she really may be in physical distress which prevents her from doing routine activities ... ask her what is going on?

If her lack of mobility is due to depression ... then that's something you should definitely address with a professional.

Being active is good - but there is no point in pushing for possible benefit if it is imposing immediate physical and emotional despair.

Talk to your mother --- ask her what is going on. She is the only one who can tell you.

• jasminsaba
    jasminsaba Member Posts: 157 Member
    Hi ...

Hello Tina - I am sorry you find yourself in this situation. My question is this: is your mom not moving around and active due to depression or physical discomfort? If she is feeling fatigued due to her treatments, then it might only add to her frustration if you continue to push ... also, she really may be in physical distress which prevents her from doing routine activities ... ask her what is going on?

If her lack of mobility is due to depression ... then that's something you should definitely address with a professional.

Being active is good - but there is no point in pushing for possible benefit if it is imposing immediate physical and emotional despair.

Talk to your mother --- ask her what is going on. She is the only one who can tell you.

• hopeandcure
    hopeandcure Member Posts: 7

Hi ...

Thanks

Thanks Jamsmin, 

Mom just went to the hospital last night becausese she has fluid collecting in her abdomen.... But looks amazing today... Yes I have felt really guilty about making her do things, but I just wanted her to feel good so she could have quality over quanitity.  I know that the toxins can make you real sick.. Thanks again and I will keep you all posted.

Tina