Angelina Jolie Has Undergone A Preventive Double Mastectomy - Any Thoughts?

Options
2»

Comments

• Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    jojo2 said:

Angelina

I think your family history is huge in these decisions. If your mom died of any cancer, huge impact. I had ILC and had dense breast tissue also. No lump just enlarged pores under breast and thicker skin, noted at my physical. The only test that detects ILC well is a thermogram, according to my surgeon. He said my mass was atleast 4 yrs old with 2 mammograms missing it. My Mom had different cancer in each breast so there was no question that I would do a BMX. I was right too, because my clear right breast had ILC insitu. All cancer clinics give discharge counseling with lists of test you need, how often and S/S to look for for recurrence. All seeking this surgery would be counseled on its' advisability. AJ did what she felt she had to do to avoid an almost sure eventual diagnosis. No one objects to people filling their faces with botox, enlarging their breasts or changing their appearance. This surgery is an attempt to save yourself from a awful disease. I'm all for a well informed personal decision, with no judgement. jojo2

It's great to see so many

It's great to see so many opinions and thoughts on this subject.  It makes us all wonderful individuals! 

Even if my Mother or someone else in my family had bc, I wouldn't have had this done.  I would be dilligent in mammos, ultrasounds, MRI's and self exam though. 

The simple fact is that Angeline did this because she wanted to, because it would give her peace of mind and make her feel that she had taken the appropriate measure to lower her risk of bc.  I think we all agree that we are happy if it gives that to her.  Peace of mind is priceless! 

I am also agreeing that I hope others do realize that a double mastectomy does not  make you free of ever being diagnosed with bc.  It is an unfortunate fact, but, a fact. 

I wish Angelina a long and healthy long life.  Like someone else wrote, if it does bring more attention to bc, then I am very glad that she went public. 

Lex

• Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Alexis F said:

It's great to see so many

It's great to see so many opinions and thoughts on this subject.  It makes us all wonderful individuals! 

Even if my Mother or someone else in my family had bc, I wouldn't have had this done.  I would be dilligent in mammos, ultrasounds, MRI's and self exam though. 

The simple fact is that Angeline did this because she wanted to, because it would give her peace of mind and make her feel that she had taken the appropriate measure to lower her risk of bc.  I think we all agree that we are happy if it gives that to her.  Peace of mind is priceless! 

I am also agreeing that I hope others do realize that a double mastectomy does not  make you free of ever being diagnosed with bc.  It is an unfortunate fact, but, a fact. 

I wish Angelina a long and healthy long life.  Like someone else wrote, if it does bring more attention to bc, then I am very glad that she went public. 

Lex

Just wishing her the best

Just wishing her the best life possible and the healthiest one!   Ofcourse, I wish that for all of us!

Hugs, Kylez

• NJMom10
    NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
    Options
    I don't completely understand this decision

When I was diagnosed in 2010, my surgeon said that studies had come out showing that lumpectomy surgery and radiation was just as effective as masectomy. I chose lumpectomy and radiation on her advice. Then I began hearing about stars, Christina Applegate, Wanda Sykes, Guiliana Rancic and Angelina Jolie who chose double masectomy. I can understand if you have tested positive for the BRCA gene because your risk is so much higher, but I don't understand it if you are not at that higher risk. That said, I respect any woman's decision to do whatever she feels is neccessary to keep her alive for herself and her family. No criticism here.

• NJMom10
    NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
    Options

When I was diagnosed in 2010, my surgeon said that studies had come out showing that lumpectomy surgery and radiation was just as effective as masectomy. I chose lumpectomy and radiation on her advice. Then I began hearing about stars, Christina Applegate, Wanda Sykes, Guiliana Rancic and Angelina Jolie who chose double masectomy. I can understand if you have tested positive for the BRCA gene because your risk is so much higher, but I don't understand it if you are not at that higher risk. That said, I respect any woman's decision to do whatever she feels is neccessary to keep her alive for herself and her family. No criticism here.

• Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I addressed the BC

I adressed the BC in my other post but not the ovarian cancer.I think she should have that done. The reasons is I know a couple people it hit and it was hard to dx.One had a partial hysterectomy. Years later I saw in teh paper she passed away.I ran into her daughter and asked how? Female cancer.I said NO your mom had female surgery.Yes but mom didn't have her ovaries removed.

The other lady was going to the doctor and emergency room with bad stomach pains. Must not have run tests but she was put on meds for colitis. Still pain.Months later  she went back to the doctor and it was found she had ovarian cancer.She only lived 6 months but  she was dx wrong and treated for something she didn't have. I think that can happen more times than we know.Ovarian cancer is usually already advanced before found. 

I had a hysterectomy years ago.I opted(after much thought) to take it all out.In the beginning I thought save the ovaries but after the lady I knew died I had to make the  decision to remove them.I feel it's the right one. Feels so good knowing nothing is there to get cancer. No ovaries, uterus and cervix.  

I think Angelina in time will make that decision.A Hysterectomy.

Lynn Smith

• BunnyJane
    BunnyJane Member Posts: 213
    Options

I addressed the BC

I adressed the BC in my other post but not the ovarian cancer.I think she should have that done. The reasons is I know a couple people it hit and it was hard to dx.One had a partial hysterectomy. Years later I saw in teh paper she passed away.I ran into her daughter and asked how? Female cancer.I said NO your mom had female surgery.Yes but mom didn't have her ovaries removed.

The other lady was going to the doctor and emergency room with bad stomach pains. Must not have run tests but she was put on meds for colitis. Still pain.Months later  she went back to the doctor and it was found she had ovarian cancer.She only lived 6 months but  she was dx wrong and treated for something she didn't have. I think that can happen more times than we know.Ovarian cancer is usually already advanced before found. 

I had a hysterectomy years ago.I opted(after much thought) to take it all out.In the beginning I thought save the ovaries but after the lady I knew died I had to make the  decision to remove them.I feel it's the right one. Feels so good knowing nothing is there to get cancer. No ovaries, uterus and cervix.  

I think Angelina in time will make that decision.A Hysterectomy.

Lynn Smith

As many of you have

expressed, I think that this is a difficult decision, but when you have a long/strong cancer lineage in your family as I have in mine, the decision was made easier.  My Grandmother and her four sisters were BC statistics and my Mother and Aunt both had ovarian cancer.  Even though I was BRCA1/2 negative, my medical oncologist recommended that I have a bilateral mastectomy.  I have no regrets.  I also had a total hysterectomy (before BC) to reduce the ovarian cancer risk.

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

Rague, that is what I worry

Rague, that is what I worry about as I've even read that on here from pink sisters.  I don't know if their oncologist and plastic surgeons aren't making them aware of the fact that they still have breast tissue left and can still get breast cancer.  All of us have made our choices in what surgery we have done, if in fact we have a choice.  Many on here did not have a choice, they had to have a mastectomy.  Her mom died of ovarian cancer so I hope she does look into a hysterectomy, relieving that fear. 

Angelina's surgery has certainly heightened the attention of breast cancer and for that, I am grateful.  There should have been a cure years ago and why there still isn't frustrates me.  My wish would be no man or woman would ever be diagnosed ever again!

I also wish they would have everyone get mammo's earlier, at least a base line at 30.  So many young women now are being diagnosed. 

Jan

It always surprises how many

It always surprises how many say their Drs have told them that 'all cancer is gone'.   Are these 'drs' really saying that or is that what some decide to hear? I was never told that at all!  My surgeoon did say that thanks to my neo-adjuvant A/C had gotten 'clean' margins so he was able to get all that he could see/find but that does not mean that all cancer was gone and I was 'cured'.   Never told that at all.

I was not given any 'time frame' but I'm IBC so odds not good.  When I hit a year post DX, I was told that they really didn't expect me to make it a year - DX was Aug 2009 and as far as I know today I am still NED (of course, that can always change).  Being IBC - I had very few 'choices' to make - had to be fought hard and fast.

It always surprises me that being 'out in the boonies' what fantastic care I've had in private care and with VA.

We all need to ask questions and not just 'hear' what we want to.

• Rague
    Options

Rague, that is what I worry

Rague, that is what I worry about as I've even read that on here from pink sisters.  I don't know if their oncologist and plastic surgeons aren't making them aware of the fact that they still have breast tissue left and can still get breast cancer.  All of us have made our choices in what surgery we have done, if in fact we have a choice.  Many on here did not have a choice, they had to have a mastectomy.  Her mom died of ovarian cancer so I hope she does look into a hysterectomy, relieving that fear. 

Angelina's surgery has certainly heightened the attention of breast cancer and for that, I am grateful.  There should have been a cure years ago and why there still isn't frustrates me.  My wish would be no man or woman would ever be diagnosed ever again!

I also wish they would have everyone get mammo's earlier, at least a base line at 30.  So many young women now are being diagnosed. 

Jan

It always surprises how many say their Drs have told them that 'all cancer is gone'.   Are these 'drs' really saying that or is that what some decide to hear? I was never told that at all!  My surgeoon did say that thanks to my neo-adjuvant A/C had gotten 'clean' margins so he was able to get all that he could see/find but that does not mean that all cancer was gone and I was 'cured'.   Never told that at all.

I was not given any 'time frame' but I'm IBC so odds not good.  When I hit a year post DX, I was told that they really didn't expect me to make it a year - DX was Aug 2009 and as far as I know today I am still NED (of course, that can always change).  Being IBC - I had very few 'choices' to make - had to be fought hard and fast.

It always surprises me that being 'out in the boonies' what fantastic care I've had in private care and with VA.

• Treecy1106
    Treecy1106 Member Posts: 144
    Options
    Smart and fearless

Angelina did what was right for her!!! FOr that reason I applaud her decision. I wanted to have all of my breast tissue removed years ago because of having cycstic breasts and contantly getting them drained with a lot of pain!!!!

My Doctor refused! So I kept getting mammos and ultrasounds every 6 months for 12 years and guess what????? NOthing showed....and then one day I told my Doctor to check this tiny little lump I felt by my underwire and POOF it was Breast Cancer. I had just had a mammo and ulttrasound the day before and nothing showed well guess what??? I had four tumors in my left breast 2.6 2.1 1.8 and .7.

Two were cancerous.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? 

I had a bilateral mastectomy ...MY choice! Why?? Because no test showed anything. The MRI with the dye saw the 4 IDC TNBC tumors but guess what...the MRI didnt show the ILC in the right breast. I found out about that after they took the tissue out!

These tests are not 100% accurate. I also think that the radiation from Mammos cause cancer as well. All that squeezing that you have to hold your breath...I mean come on do you think that is safe???????

Know your body....take your Vitamin D3....get alkaline......and so much more to know....just stay away from sugar and GMO's!!!

SOY...wheat...glutten....and dairy not good for the body!!!. Everything is moderation. Drink plenty of water that has a high ph like Iceland water for example.

Good luck and stay healthy xoxoxo

Patrice

• hope4thebest
    hope4thebest Member Posts: 108
    Options
    jamiegww said:

Nice that she could afford it.

With breast cancer in one breast, I would have liked to get my other breast removed but my insurance wouldn't cover it.  She goes and gets both breast removed without even having cancer yet!  She just better not ever refer to herself as a breast cancer survivor unless she actually develops the disease.  I imagine she won't have to worry about getting a bad plastic surgeon and ending up with uneven breast either.

Financial factor

I was lucky and my insurance covered my double mastectomy/reconstruction even though they only found the cancer in the left breast.  I was prepared to pay for half, but did not have to go there.  I am pleased with my decision, but it was based on family history, age, research, so many factors that make us individual.  Either way, I would never have been able to take the time off off work to get the reconstrction and afford bills without some help from my family.  For me, I had to take time of to heal and process all that happened.

However, I did not have the BRACA 1 gene

I am glad Jolie came out and spoke about this publicly, it has helped me me be a little more confident with my appearance, and accepting all that has happeened.  I see the fear that cancer puts into everyone's lives.  Thanks to you all.

• Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

What about her ovaries?

Well, I guess if I was married to Brad Pitt, I'd want to keep my ovaries, too . . . . but she also has a 50% chance of ovarian cancer which is usually not detected early.  Just sayin'

I was thinking the same thing

I was thinking the same thing about her ovaries Suzanne.  I am sure she will have them removed too.  I might have done that first though, before the double mastectomy. 

Lots of great thoughts and replies!

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    I only heard clippets of the

I only heard clippets of the news...I must check it out more..

Denise

• burcu123
    burcu123 Member Posts: 66
    Options
    I admire Angelina now

I did not care for Angelina Jolie before. I think she has done the best for her and her family. breast cancer is no joke. It is a very deadly disease.

I admire her strength and courage to go public with it. Her words helped me so much. She is one of the most strong symbols of feminine beauty and she said she does not fell less of a women. I congragulate her for her courage.

now you ar emy HERO Angelina.

• burcu123
    burcu123 Member Posts: 66
    Options
    NJMom10 said:

once you have breast cancer you are always higher risk

Lumpectomy and radiation is as good as mastectomy only considering local recurrence. For a chance of developing breast cancer in the other breast it does not do anything. Once you have breast cancer in one breast you have a much higher risk of devloping breast cancer in the other breast. Because whatever caused the breast cancer also influenced the other breast, so it is ticking time bomb

• Rague
    Options
    NJMom10 said:

Not all BC are the same!

In your case, a lumpectomy and rads may have been as 'effective' as a mastectomy but that is not true with all forms and stages of BC.  For some of us, there is no option of doing a lumpectomy with rads - mastectomy is the only option with chemo and rads.  With IBC (Inflammatory Breast Cancer) chemo is done first because IBC does not form as a 'lump' but forms as a 'nest' or in 'bands'. Chemo is done first to get it to form a lump and shrink so that there is a hope of getting it all with surgery.  Most here did 2 different cycles of chemos before surgery - I was different.  I did 4 DD A/C first and then had surgery which was  followed with 12 weekly Taxol and then 25 rads.  So yes in some cases lumpectomy and rads may be as 'effective' as a mastectomy but definately not in ALL.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan  

• Kelli D
    Kelli D Member Posts: 4
    Options
    My Thoughts

It just goes to show that when you have enough money anything is possible.  I am glad that congress is moving to make preventive procedures something everyone can access. I was turned down for reconstructive surgery. Probably more for my diagnosis than insurance. Everyone has the right to fight for their lives, if she felt it was a huge enough risk then I applaud her choice to make preventive measures.  It is a shame that not all cancers can be prevented this way.  

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

I can't believe any doctor

I can't believe any doctor would or could say that the cancer is gone, but maybe in some cases, they can.  I really don't know.  Mine just says I am in remission which is good for me!

• LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Good for her!

I personally love the exposure on bc and genetic factors. Most women don't know these genes even exist! After Angelina's choice, there will be more awareness, and perhaps insurance companies will reconsider paying for more screening. I mean, it makes sense for an insurance company to pay, no? If they prevent, then they don't spend the $ on treatments which can go up to over $100K (mine did).

I also think that having a gene like that makes it a lot easier to make such decision. I was dx at 32, and mine was agressive (grade 3), and I still did a lumpectomy. I was having hope that maybe this would be a one-time thing since I didn't carry the gene, but now I am more educated, and aware that cancer is a sneaky ****. I probably should have removed them. If I had the gene, it would have been much easier for me to take them off. This is why she did it. And because she has kids to raise and care for. I understand why she did it and admire her for doing it because most women wait to be dx to act the way she did.

I pray for more awareness and education on cancers (all).