Still Going Strong

I haven't posted for too long, so I thought I would update.  I was diagnosed with uterian cancer in fall of 2009 and had a da Vinci hysterectomy removing everything in Jan 2010 and the cancer was only in my uterus lining, so no chemo.  I didn't have the aggressive kind, just adenocarcenoma, and the lowest stage, etc.  They felt it unlikely that it would return.  My CA 125 was 7 after the surgery and in about 3 months it was 57.  By the time I got into the doctor's office it was 365. 

Anyway, in Nov 2010 they did a laparotomy and I had cancer cells all in my adomen, pelvic area, and a 2cm tumor in my omentum.  They removed my omentum and scraped out all the cells they could find.  My Doctor was horrified and told my husband I had 1-3 years max.  I can tell you that I was upside down, crying all the time, and I just couldn't face what they were saying.  I had 4 rounds of Carbo/Taxol and the chemo really did a good job for me.  I am a very physical person, jog, weight train, have 2 horses I ride, and I keep my weight down.  The chemo would knock me down completely for about a week, and after more than 2 years from my last chemo, I can still realize the effects of the chemo on my overall energy.  But I am 69 years old, so I guess I need to take that into consideration, not just the chemo. 

One month after chemo thay started me on Megace, and I take a tsp. every day.  Some people it doesn't work on, and some it does.  I have been taking it over 2 yrs now and my CA 125 stays between 3.1 and 4.5, so I guess it is working for me.  The only thing negative about the Megace is it makes you gain weight.  I gained 30 lbs. eating and exercising the same as always.  I cut out happy hour and I lost 15 lbs, but cannot lose the other 15 lbs, but who cares, I am alive. 

I hope this helps some of you, considering it was really looking bleak for me, and now my chances have greatly improved.  I wish all of you the best of luck.  Pat 

Comments

• survivingsu
    survivingsu Member Posts: 134 Member
    Still Going Strong

Hi Pat,

That is WAY COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was so thoughtful for you to share with others.  I'm so glad things have improved for you.  Ain't the human spirit a marvel?!

My very best to you,

Susan