New here

Options
hope67
hope67 Member Posts: 181

Hi everyone!

I was reading this phorum for a couple of days now and wanted to join you. I have to say that I am amazed by your positive attitude.

I am 45 and I was diagnosed with BC a month ago. On Friday I will have mastectomy with sentinel node resection and reconstruction with expander. After histologic report I will know the type of cancer and stage. So right now I am rather in a limbo, knowing nothing and pretty much terrified. A bit of a surgery, but more of bad news. Any words of encouragement are very welcome. I am praying for some nice cancer and not the most aggresive one.

I have three kids, age 11, 11 and 10 and I want to be around them for a long long time.

I know I am worrying too much at the moment, but my good friend died of BC one year ago. I saw her struggle. My sister was diagnosed with BC exactly one year ago, she is doing fine so far, she had stage IIA. That was the reason I went for a mammography, I really wasn't expecting to be diagnosed myself and it really hit me. And my father was diagnosed with stomach cancer 6 months ago. 

I feel lucky to have a lot of support, mainly from my husband who is also a psychologist and from many friends. But still there are often moments when I feel like I moved to some other planet. I am sure you know what I mean. Some weird cancer planet.

I am looking forward to know you better.

Take care, Carmen

Comments

• kmenurse
    kmenurse Member Posts: 217
    Options
    Hi Carmen,  I to on Friday

Hi Carmen,  I to on Friday April 26, 2013 I will have a bilaterial mastectomy with sentinel node biopsey and reconstruction with expander.  I was diagnosed on March 15 (my brother's birthday) With Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (IDC).  I was a mess the first 3 days after hearing those three ugly words "You Have Cancer!"  But then I decided that because life is short I was damned if I was going to allow cancer to effect my mental health too... I also have a Friend/Coworked that had cancer stage 3 and she is doing well except for lymphedema.   I can't offer you any advice except Stay strong, Stay positive..... God Bless!   Kathy

• hope67
    Options
    kmenurse said:

Hi Carmen,  I to on Friday

Hi Carmen,  I to on Friday April 26, 2013 I will have a bilaterial mastectomy with sentinel node biopsey and reconstruction with expander.  I was diagnosed on March 15 (my brother's birthday) With Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (IDC).  I was a mess the first 3 days after hearing those three ugly words "You Have Cancer!"  But then I decided that because life is short I was damned if I was going to allow cancer to effect my mental health too... I also have a Friend/Coworked that had cancer stage 3 and she is doing well except for lymphedema.   I can't offer you any advice except Stay strong, Stay positive..... God Bless!   Kathy

Hi, Kathy

Thanks for reply. I'll be thinking of you on Friday and keeping fingers crossed that everything will be ok. How come that you are having bilateral mastectomy? I was also diagnosed with IDC. There is one tumor which is approximately 2 cm long. Good luck, Carmen

• Patti1967
    Patti1967 Member Posts: 186
    Options
    hope67 said:

Hi, Kathy

Thanks for reply. I'll be thinking of you on Friday and keeping fingers crossed that everything will be ok. How come that you are having bilateral mastectomy? I was also diagnosed with IDC. There is one tumor which is approximately 2 cm long. Good luck, Carmen

Welcome Carmen, and sorry you

Welcome Carmen, and sorry you are one of us..You have found a great  place for support;)  Positive thoughts coming your way!

Hugs,

Patti

• kmenurse
    kmenurse Member Posts: 217
    Options
    Patti1967 said:

Welcome Carmen, and sorry you

Welcome Carmen, and sorry you are one of us..You have found a great  place for support;)  Positive thoughts coming your way!

Hugs,

Patti

Carmen, I decided to do the

Carmen, I decided to do the bilateral because of my breast size.. I am very large breasted.  And also it decreases the chance of recurrence.  I to will be thinking and praying for you Friday and also praying for guidance and steady hands for our surgeons.    God Bless!.. Kathy

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    Welcome....I wish I had found

Welcome....I wish I had found this site much sooner then I did...I found it about year after done with surgery, radation etc...This may sound silly to you right now (It did to me when suggested to me way back when) to keep a journal. I thought it was silly but rec'd 2 as gits and used them. (I just came across them the other day while cleaning my walk in closet) I see now how helpful it was-in hind sight.

Make a list of questions for DRs since at times we get caught up with so much info we lose our thoughts. I have taken family/ friends with me for more ears to hear and remember-all that was discussed.

I just had my 5 yr post check up this week...

Thinking of you..

Denise

• Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options

Welcome....I wish I had found

Welcome....I wish I had found this site much sooner then I did...I found it about year after done with surgery, radation etc...This may sound silly to you right now (It did to me when suggested to me way back when) to keep a journal. I thought it was silly but rec'd 2 as gits and used them. (I just came across them the other day while cleaning my walk in closet) I see now how helpful it was-in hind sight.

Make a list of questions for DRs since at times we get caught up with so much info we lose our thoughts. I have taken family/ friends with me for more ears to hear and remember-all that was discussed.

I just had my 5 yr post check up this week...

Thinking of you..

Denise

Welcome Carmen

I am glad you found this site. I wish I had found it sooner after I was diagnosed too. I did find it right before I started chemo. I agree with Denis on the journal, right stuff down. I always had a list of questios for the Dr and made lots of notes. I am 3 years since surgery (lumpectomy) I had IDC invasive ductual carcinoma, stage 1 grade 1.I did chemo and rads. My Dr told me because I was so young :o) I turned 49 about 3 weeks aftr I found out. This site is filled with wonderful ladies and a some great guys. You will always have a shoulder to lean on and info you need, and wonderful advice! This journey is not always easy but, as we say it is doable. I am so glad you have a strong support system and wonderful friends and family.

Prayers for you too Kathy kmenurse. I am glad you found this site to help you out.

Prayers for you all and God Bless

(((hugs))) Janice

• RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Hi Carmen, love your name

You are doing very well.  See what all your results bring before thinking ahead.  Different cancers and stages have different procedures etc.  Mine often travels to both sides and it had, so mastectomy one month and another the next month.  I only had chemo because the one formed cyst was just in line with size where chemo is advised.  There is one thing I would like to mention. The Sentinal Node dye when given is not pleasant.  I nearly crushed the nurses hand but it is quick.  I was glad a friend warned me of this as then I expected what was to come.  The drains are also not pleasant, a nuisance more than anything.  Rest, rest, drink lots of water, no stretching, ironing etc after mastectomy.  Take pain meds if required, it won't be for too long.  Glad you have support and a great hubby.  Fingers crossed your cancer is a lesser stage and after treatment minimal.  We are here for you.  Any questions especially with chemo or radiation this is a good place to ask.  After op wear natural fabrics button up front tops, pjs are perfect.  A pocket or safety pin to hold drain up stops painful pulling at entrance to body.  Sorry this is happening to you, you will need help with your children and meal times etc sounds like you have good people around you.  Good luck.  When you feel able please message us.

• gagee
    gagee Member Posts: 332
    Options
    My Prayers are with You...

So sorry to hear that you had to meet here. I felt lucky when I came on this network. So much love and info.  My prayers are with you and your family. 

Diana

• gagee
    gagee Member Posts: 332
    Options
    My Prayers are with You...

So sorry to hear that you had to meet here. I felt lucky when I came on this network. So much love and info.  My prayers are with you and your family. 

Diana

• lintx
    lintx Member Posts: 697
    Options
    Hello Carmen

I'm glad you found this board.  Lots of friendly people with good advice and attitudes.  I had my bilateral one year ago, and the biopsy taken was already known to be aggressive.  I felt the surgery was my only choice.  It is very normal to have the feelings you've mentioned.  We've all been there in the beginning, walking around with blank stares on our faces for awhile.  I remember being in disbelief.  Yes, you are very fortunate to have your husband for venting.  We'll be thinking of both you and our Kathy on Friday and looking for the first sign of progress in a new post!  Blessings to you and your family.  Hugs, Linda 

• hope67
    Options
    lintx said:

Hello Carmen

I'm glad you found this board.  Lots of friendly people with good advice and attitudes.  I had my bilateral one year ago, and the biopsy taken was already known to be aggressive.  I felt the surgery was my only choice.  It is very normal to have the feelings you've mentioned.  We've all been there in the beginning, walking around with blank stares on our faces for awhile.  I remember being in disbelief.  Yes, you are very fortunate to have your husband for venting.  We'll be thinking of both you and our Kathy on Friday and looking for the first sign of progress in a new post!  Blessings to you and your family.  Hugs, Linda 

Thank you all so much

Thank you all so much for your nice words and for all the info that is so valuable for me. I'll post when I'll be back from the hospital.

Take care, Carmen

• JJDS
    JJDS Member Posts: 258
    Options

Welcome Carmen

I am glad you found this site. I wish I had found it sooner after I was diagnosed too. I did find it right before I started chemo. I agree with Denis on the journal, right stuff down. I always had a list of questios for the Dr and made lots of notes. I am 3 years since surgery (lumpectomy) I had IDC invasive ductual carcinoma, stage 1 grade 1.I did chemo and rads. My Dr told me because I was so young :o) I turned 49 about 3 weeks aftr I found out. This site is filled with wonderful ladies and a some great guys. You will always have a shoulder to lean on and info you need, and wonderful advice! This journey is not always easy but, as we say it is doable. I am so glad you have a strong support system and wonderful friends and family.

Prayers for you too Kathy kmenurse. I am glad you found this site to help you out.

Prayers for you all and God Bless

(((hugs))) Janice

Good luck today Carmen!

Good luck today Carmen!