Round 2 And Still Standing

wolfen
wolfen Member Posts: 1,324 Member

Hello All,

Hubby finished his second round of chemo today. I have learned that Erbitux is actually called Biotherapy, while Taxol & Carboplatin are Chemotherapy. The plan, as it stands now, is to get the Erbitux every week for 9 weeks and every third week to get all three. The doc agreed to no Benadryl, but did have some Claritin used instead. They slowed the infusion down because he has been having a lot of itching(no rash yet), & doc prescribed some hydrocortisone cream. Also some Ambien, because he can't sleep.

I was able to get a walker with a seat ordered today through Home Health. Unfortunately, we hadn't made it home from chemo when they tried delivery, so will get that tomorrow. He is very unsteady on his feet due to loss of weight and strength and fell last week at the lab. I'm always right with him, but when he starts to fall, I just can't hold him up. Fortunately, another couple was leaving the building and the man was able to get him up. Even though his weight is about 180 now, he still outweighs me by about 60 lbs.

His WBC is in the toilet, so he got a Neulasta shot before today's session. I also noticed that his platelets dropped from 250 to 125 after the first chemo session. This worries me a little because of what happened to my daughter. Hers dropped over a much, much longer period. I also noticed his Bilirubin keeps going up, but I know he has liver damage from the contrast dye and the doc didn't seem concerned at this point, so I will quit worrying.

I'm just going to keep pushing the Glucerna 1.5 and water at him and anything else I can get him to try.

I guess that's all I know for now. Hope everyone is doing well.

Luv,

Wolfen

Comments

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Thank you for the update

I was starting to wonder where you went and what you two were up to!!  As I grow older I hold on to "no news is good news" harder than I did when I was young. Smile 

During treatment my WBC's dropped into the double digits, and my platlets weren't far behind.  Actually, the last time I had a big blood test (first of March) my WBC's and platlets were still low...lower than they were in September right after I'd had a transfusion.  It's par for the course, and they will keep a close eye on them.  Clariton will help any side effects from the Neulasta....bone aches, etc....My Onc suggested that I have it on hand when I got Neupogen for my WBC's. 

You're doing the one day at a time VERY well....I think you've had a lot of practice.

p   

• longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    a lot on your plate

If he is this weak now, you can project how much worse this is going to become.  It would benefit him to have some kind of conditioning program right now.  This can be instituted in the middle of all of this ongoing treatment, and taylored to his tolerance.  Otherwise his disability is going to be an increasing problem as the next several months go by. 

Pat

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    WBC

Blood counts do take a hit...

My lowest was right toward the end of my first nine weeks of chemo;

WBC = 2.1

Platelet = 99

But the Neulasta will bring the WBC up..

One thing that I experienced and a few others I know... A few days after the first Neulasta injection I had major bone pain and aches..., like the flu. It came on fast and lasted only a day or so... Nothing an aspirin or tylenol couldn't hande, but a surprise yet....

Best ~ John

• wolfen
    Skiffin16 said:

WBC

Blood counts do take a hit...

My lowest was right toward the end of my first nine weeks of chemo;

WBC = 2.1

Platelet = 99

But the Neulasta will bring the WBC up..

One thing that I experienced and a few others I know... A few days after the first Neulasta injection I had major bone pain and aches..., like the flu. It came on fast and lasted only a day or so... Nothing an aspirin or tylenol couldn't hande, but a surprise yet....

Best ~ John

Thanks For The Suggestions

I didn't quite know what the Claritin was for. I thought maybe it was a substitute for the Benadryl to a lesser degree. I picked up some at Walmart(my second home away from home, right after MD Anderson).

We got an information sheet about Neulasta, so am aware of the joint/bone pain thing  and have Tylenol, also.

It took him a while to fall asleep, even with the Ambien, but he's restlessly sleeping now as I pump the Glucerna in.

He's real resistant to the idea of a physical therapist. He was a big stong guy and I know he feels like he's just losing himself being under the control of me and all these doctors. My secondary purpose in getting the walker is so that he may be able to get a little exercise without fear of falling, so maybe that will help with the loss of motor control issue. If the decline continues, I imagine the docs will step in with another doc and plan.

The walker was just delivered and to my surprise, I was told that he shouldn't be pushed around in it. I thought that was half the purpose and I've seen people using it that way, but apparently it's a safety issue. Oh well, I'll face that one when I get to it.

Have a good day,

Luv,

Wolfen

• katenorwood
    katenorwood Member Posts: 1,912
    wolfen said:

Thanks For The Suggestions

I didn't quite know what the Claritin was for. I thought maybe it was a substitute for the Benadryl to a lesser degree. I picked up some at Walmart(my second home away from home, right after MD Anderson).

We got an information sheet about Neulasta, so am aware of the joint/bone pain thing  and have Tylenol, also.

It took him a while to fall asleep, even with the Ambien, but he's restlessly sleeping now as I pump the Glucerna in.

He's real resistant to the idea of a physical therapist. He was a big stong guy and I know he feels like he's just losing himself being under the control of me and all these doctors. My secondary purpose in getting the walker is so that he may be able to get a little exercise without fear of falling, so maybe that will help with the loss of motor control issue. If the decline continues, I imagine the docs will step in with another doc and plan.

The walker was just delivered and to my surprise, I was told that he shouldn't be pushed around in it. I thought that was half the purpose and I've seen people using it that way, but apparently it's a safety issue. Oh well, I'll face that one when I get to it.

Have a good day,

Luv,

Wolfen

home based pt maybe ?

Wolfen,

Yeap, Mom had one of those walkers too.  The seat is to rest in if they get weak.  I'm suggesting maybe a home based PT person to come in if this is an option.  Mom enjoyed going to the clinic for it, but there were times with tx's it was just too much on her.  Do you have a wheel chair available to use ?  It scares me when I hear how hard things are on you both.  It doesn't mean he has to be in it 24/7.  But when needed my goodness what a difference on the caregiver !  Hugs sent !  Katie

• wolfen

home based pt maybe ?

Wolfen,

Yeap, Mom had one of those walkers too.  The seat is to rest in if they get weak.  I'm suggesting maybe a home based PT person to come in if this is an option.  Mom enjoyed going to the clinic for it, but there were times with tx's it was just too much on her.  Do you have a wheel chair available to use ?  It scares me when I hear how hard things are on you both.  It doesn't mean he has to be in it 24/7.  But when needed my goodness what a difference on the caregiver !  Hugs sent !  Katie

Hi, Kate

I know this may sound silly, but we are always a little leery of having strangers come into our home even for a reliable purpose. And no, I'm not becoming paranoid in my old age.  LOL  It's just that in this big metropolis we live in with the "diverse" population, there seems to be a trend in home invasions of those over 65. We are not without protection, but try not to invite trouble. We've had two attempts at break-ins already in this old "quiet" neighborhood.

A wheelchair would be difficult to navigate in this old house, plus I can no longer lift one into the truck. In past times, when he needed one following foot surgeries, he was able to help me lift it, but no more, and I hate to admit getting old, but just can't do it alone. Hence, the idea of the walker with the seat. It will be a help, anyway.

Hugs back atcha!

Luv,

Wolfen

• ccfighter
    ccfighter Member Posts: 476 Member
    I'm over here from gyn board

I'm over here from gyn board but wanted to give you my experience with carboplatin and taxol.  Carbo hits the bone marrow real hard, combined with taxol it will be hard to keep these up.  My WBC fell to 1, my Platlets to 30 on carbo.  After my recurrence we tried carbo/gemzar but after first infusion my counts were so low I was on treatment delay.  We tried switching to cisplatin since it does not hit the bone marrow as hard.  Had an allergic reaction.  Next we are going to try oxaliplatin.  Gotta go over to the colon cancer boards to figure that one out.  Hope I'm not allergic to that too.  But...sometimes a dose reduction is necessary in ord to keep on track.  Neupogen and neulasta will help with the WBC but that has side effects too. Good luck.  Hugs.

• wolfen
    ccfighter said:

I'm over here from gyn board

I'm over here from gyn board but wanted to give you my experience with carboplatin and taxol.  Carbo hits the bone marrow real hard, combined with taxol it will be hard to keep these up.  My WBC fell to 1, my Platlets to 30 on carbo.  After my recurrence we tried carbo/gemzar but after first infusion my counts were so low I was on treatment delay.  We tried switching to cisplatin since it does not hit the bone marrow as hard.  Had an allergic reaction.  Next we are going to try oxaliplatin.  Gotta go over to the colon cancer boards to figure that one out.  Hope I'm not allergic to that too.  But...sometimes a dose reduction is necessary in ord to keep on track.  Neupogen and neulasta will help with the WBC but that has side effects too. Good luck.  Hugs.

Thanks ccfighter

Thanks for the heads up on these two chemos. His WBC went from 6.2 to 1.1 and platleets from 255 to 125 after just one round of this cocktail. I know the doc will be watching him very closely due to compromised kidney and liver functions caused by contrast dye. His treatment plan changes like the weather, according to his reactions. Guess that's why they call it a rollercoaster.

My friends on the colon forum are great and can provide lots of info. on the Oxi. I have to tell you it's a pretty nasty drug.One of the main long lasting side effects is neuropathy and then there's the sensitivity to cold. I actually learned about ALA for neuropathy from the colon forum. It did help a few people and actually helps my hubby with his diabetic neuropathy. My daughter(Johnnybegood) was on it at the beginning of her colon cancer journey almost 5 years ago and it didn't do her any favors. Same with Irinotecan. She's currently on 2000 mg Xeloda(7 days on-7 days off) combined with Avastin infusion once a week w/ Xeloda. Hopefully, keeping those nasty lung tumors in check.

Hoping they find something to further your treatment plan that doesn't create too many problems.

Luv,

Wolfen

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,724 Member
    wee, here we go

Wolfen,

Now you know why I say rads and Erbitux, but it is some times easier to say rads and chemo.  The lay person doesn’t know one drug from another, but some on here do.

Even though a walker is not advertised as a sit down pusher they sure work well as one.  Provided yours will support a 180 pound man and you don’t go down stairs, gravel roads or exceed 2 mph, I think you will be ok.

I am glad to hear the show is on the road and wish you both uninterrupted luck.

Matt