Wig Shopping Begins

2»

Comments

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Absolutely hated losing my hair,

but the wig did help.  Mine had special sticky tape, that went on an inner band.  Never had any problem with it, and I wore it in all kinds of weather conditions.  I'm not sure how much I would have gone outside if I hadn't had it...being bald made me very self-conscious.  I never wanted to be an obvious cancer patient.  Some people are able to handle it better than I did...had a friend in tx at the same time, and I always wore my wig when we had lunch together, while she just went out with a cap covering her baldness, no problem.  I just couldn't do it.  How are you feeling otherwise?  How are the other side effects?  AA

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    ajouteast said:

Beginning to think I might

Beginning to think I might have to join you.  Just finished chemo #2 and and my already thin hair is really starting to come out.  I can't imagine that it will last 10 more treatments.  Have to say it's making me freak out a bit.  I thought I could handle "thinning" but the amount that's coming out when I gently brush it (only when I absolutely have to) is depressing.  Even running my hands through it brings out lots of strands.  Never thought I'd consider a wig, but it might come to that I'm afraid.  I'm not even sure where to start...

So my thoughts go out to you! Hang in there.

Hair raising

I too thought I'd be fine with losing my hair. Not so quick, lassie! 

I leaned out the plug hole after my shower one day, and there was so much hair, I was scared to look in the mirror.  Everyone tells me my hair looks good, but I know its thin. And basically, I'm the one I want to please. 

No wig for me. I hate anything on my head. I may shave it one day. Time will tell. 

Good luck with you chemo treatments. Let us know how things are going. 

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Vicki

I just lost my hair in January.  As I started losing my hair, I had several good cries, then I also video taped how I felt about losing my hair, in it, I found myself saying I'm losing it because I want to live a longer life, and it's worth it in the end. 

The next weekend I held a party (When I brushed my hair, huge amounts came out with it, I stopped brushing) called "Hair today, Gone tomorrow"  with relatives and friends showing up, we had balloons, cake, and they brought presents much to my surprise of hats and scarfs, I was totally blown away by that, nothing I expected.  I had enough hair left to donate to "Locks of Love" (I had long hair) and my brother in Minnesota also shaved his head and sent his hair to "Locks of Love", we had champagne and such.  My son cut my hair in the shape of a Mohawk for the fun of it, before he shaved it all off.  They cried here and there, my eyes stayed dry.  I thought truly I would be a sobbing mess, I was not.

I do miss my hair, it's growing back already, more white then anything, sad about my lovely blonde hair being gone, and white replacing it, BUT, I have never shed a tear since, I go out mostly bald, wore a wig around my grandkids, both here and Ohio, and they all said, get rid of the wig, we like your bald head better.  When I asked wouldn't kids make fun of them with a bald grandma, they all (the one here in Cali and the two in Ohio) said no, if they don't understand what happens with cancer that's their problem.  I'm so proud of them all!!  So I've worn a wig for my new drivers license (birthday was two weeks ago) and for another license I got, other then that, knit hats when it's cold out, bald the rest. 

It'll get easier, and remember, it'll grow back.

My heart is with you in this,

Winter Marie