Lobectomy Recovery Stage 1A-Adenocarcinoma

cathyraff
cathyraff Member Posts: 4

My husband underwent a right upper lobectomy on 2/4/13.  He was diagnosed Stage 1A Adenocarcinoma.  His oncologist advised that he doesn't need chemo or radiation but will need CT scans every six months and will see the oncologist every 3 months.  My question is how long before the pain subsides?  He went to his surgeon last Wednesday and he has released him to go back to work.  My husband does heavy labor and I worry they are sending him back too early.  He still has pain in the front of his rib cage where the chest tubes (two of them) were and his incision is swollen.  It's no infected the surgeon said, and it's normal.  Can anyone she some light on when the pain might go away?  Does it ever go away completely? 

Comments

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    Welcome.

It's been 18 months since I had my VATS.  I still have some pain bit mostly it still itches.  It took a couple of months because I had the tunes in for another month.  

He should be doing gentle stretching exercises.  My PT had me stand next to the wall about arms length away a d have fingers walk up the wall till they felt pressure then walk them back down.  Repeat it a few times.  

Did he have the regular surgery or the VATS?

• cathyraff
    cathyraff Member Posts: 4
    dennycee said:

Welcome.

It's been 18 months since I had my VATS.  I still have some pain bit mostly it still itches.  It took a couple of months because I had the tunes in for another month.  

He should be doing gentle stretching exercises.  My PT had me stand next to the wall about arms length away a d have fingers walk up the wall till they felt pressure then walk them back down.  Repeat it a few times.  

Did he have the regular surgery or the VATS?

I'm not sure if the procedure

I'm not sure if the procedure he had was VATS...he has about a 7" scar from about the bottom of his shoulder blade down.  He's bothered on his right side where the two chest tubes were too.  He went back to work today where he does heavy physical labor but he said that everyone helped him out so it wasn't too bad.  Do you have non-small cell?  Is it still in remission.  Thanks for the info.

Cathy

• arlekim
    arlekim Member Posts: 47
    Hola Cathyraff. Hope all is

Hola Cathyraff. Hope all is much better for your hubby.  I under went my (Lower Left Lobe) VAST on 3/30/12, same as your hubby 1A Adenocarcinoma. My recovery has been hard, (I'm not good with pain, I get a hang nail n I run to my mother for a solution) I don't like pain.  But each person has different methods of dealing with pain.  I still experience very strong pains and need to be admited to control them.

I also was out of work for 1 yr due to the strong coughing and my Doc's not being able to control it. I also must say, I have severe allergies and that does not help when it comes to prescribing meds.

I hope I'm not scaring you. 

Have a wonderful summer.

• arlekim
    arlekim Member Posts: 47
    Hola Cathyraff. Hope all is

Hola Cathyraff. Hope all is much better for your hubby.  I under went my (Lower Left Lobe) VAST on 3/30/12, same as your hubby 1A Adenocarcinoma. My recovery has been hard, (I'm not good with pain, I get a hang nail n I run to my mother for a solution) I don't like pain.  But each person has different methods of dealing with pain.  I still experience very strong pains and need to be admited to control them.

I also was out of work for 1 yr due to the strong coughing and my Doc's not being able to control it. I also must say, I have severe allergies and that does not help when it comes to prescribing meds.

I hope I'm not scaring you. 

Have a wonderful summer.

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    Soooooo sorry I missed your note.

Cathy-

forgive me for being so slow responding.  Yes I have stage four adenocarcinoma.  I am 33 months out now from my diagnosis.  I was told I had ten-15 months.  So am doing VERY well.  at this time there is no evidence of reoccurrence.   it sounds like he had the standard surgery rather than the VATS.  I hope recovery is smooth and uncomplicated.  

Edit to note that at stage one they have gone for a cure.  Still be vigilant though!

• melinda68
    melinda68 Member Posts: 22
    adenocarcinoma

hello i am 46 yrs old i had lower right lobectomy at cleveland clinic done may 29th 2014 i have been having several different types of pain and noone can tell me if its normal or is something wrong i have numbness under right breast stinging pain also ribs ache now recently i have been having chest pains on right side that gets intense at times and sometimes feel like i'm being shocked the doctors didn't think it was cancer they orinally thought it was a benign carcinoid tumor even had PET Scan showed nothing after they went in to do wedge resection they found out it was stage 1 adenocarcinoma and removed 40% i'm getting ready to go for my first CT Scan in a couple weeks since the surgery i stay anxious and nervous afraid this will come back

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    melinda68 said:

adenocarcinoma

hello i am 46 yrs old i had lower right lobectomy at cleveland clinic done may 29th 2014 i have been having several different types of pain and noone can tell me if its normal or is something wrong i have numbness under right breast stinging pain also ribs ache now recently i have been having chest pains on right side that gets intense at times and sometimes feel like i'm being shocked the doctors didn't think it was cancer they orinally thought it was a benign carcinoid tumor even had PET Scan showed nothing after they went in to do wedge resection they found out it was stage 1 adenocarcinoma and removed 40% i'm getting ready to go for my first CT Scan in a couple weeks since the surgery i stay anxious and nervous afraid this will come back

melinda

I had vats for the removal of my lower right lobe on 9-23-09.  It takes quite a while for the nerves that are cut to mend.  I too had unusual pains.  Its the healing process.  I am totally recovered from the surgery.  I have my 4 year scan on 11-4.  I wish you well with your scan.  Make sure you mention your pains to your dr and I'll bet they will tell you its normal.  I wish you well, Lori