Port removal

Hi,

Soon Jon will have his port removed (the thing never worked). Now my question. Is this done under anesthesia? Does he have to fast? Will this take long?  The nurse just said we will take the port out. When he had it put in outpatient it took 1hr then recovery room.

Jon is doing ok considering all this cancer dishes out. We just take one day at a time. Still having shortness of breath. Some days he can eat and others he just drinks most of the day with little eating. This must be all part of the healing.  I am sure when the weather gets better and he is able to be outside things will get better. All of us will!

Love and Prayers to all

Bev and Firefighter Jon

Comments

• bingbing2009
    bingbing2009 Member Posts: 177
    Port Removal

I can only speak from my experience, but I had my port removed Dec. 26 after having it for 3 years. It was done as an outpatient surgery. They gave me twilight sedation and I wasn't even in a normal recovery room afterwards. It was some kind of step-down unit. It was no  big deal at all, but it was treated as a surgery with no food or drink after midnight the night before. And, yes, I even had to do the presurgery testing thing, although I could never figure out why since I wasn't even put completely under!

Melinda

dx October 2009

chemo (cisplatin and 5-FU) and radiation November/December 2009

Ivor Lewis surgery February 2010