Recurrence

TRB37
TRB37 Member Posts: 5

I had a partial nephrectomy on my right kidney to remove a 5cm rcc back in apr 2012, i went in oct to have my 6 month follow-up and they saw a cyst 1.9 cm and did a ct scan and it did not light up so doctor wanted to watch it. i went this past tuesday for a us and it said that the cyst was mildly complex and grew to 2.5 cm. i see my urologist this thursday and i'm wondering if this happened to anyone out there, should i be worried that this cancer is back?   Thanks Ed

Comments

• Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798

Ed, do you have your pathology report from your op?  Can you tell us what stage, grade and subtype of RCC you had?  The measurements are not entirely dependable and I hope MedScanMan will weigh in here.  If it's a real growth (not just a measurement error) then I would think it's desirable to watch it closely, just in case.  I don't know whether benign lesions are apt to grow rapidly and I wonder if other members have knowledge on this point.  

Was the cyst actually seen on the original scan?

• TRB37
    TRB37 Member Posts: 5

Ed, do you have your pathology report from your op?  Can you tell us what stage, grade and subtype of RCC you had?  The measurements are not entirely dependable and I hope MedScanMan will weigh in here.  If it's a real growth (not just a measurement error) then I would think it's desirable to watch it closely, just in case.  I don't know whether benign lesions are apt to grow rapidly and I wonder if other members have knowledge on this point.  

Was the cyst actually seen on the original scan?

Thanks Texas, this cyst was not seen on any images prior to surgery. the mass that was removed was 5 cm renal cell carcinoma, clear cell type. Fuhrman grade 2-3. thanks for your feedback. praying it didn't come back.

• Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    TRB37 said:

Thanks Texas, this cyst was not seen on any images prior to surgery. the mass that was removed was 5 cm renal cell carcinoma, clear cell type. Fuhrman grade 2-3. thanks for your feedback. praying it didn't come back.

Non-recurrence

Your tumor was a modest size, the Fuhrman grade moderate and cysts that are benign are very common (so such that most older folks will have numbers of harmless cysts that won't ever give them any trouble).   There must be a good chance that you're now cured, but keeping an eye on the cyst makes good sense, as part of your regular checks for the next year or two.  Good luck Ed.

• bry4856
    bry4856 Member Posts: 14
    My recurrence

I have been under going CT-scans every 6 months for ten years. For the past 2 yeard there have shown a small cyst in mm but this last scan it had grown to 3.5 cm this past October. I go to Mass General Hospital Cancer Center Boston. We started Voltrient in late Nov and for 4 weeks had many side effects mostly vomited and could not hold any food down. My wife was making me protein shakes that I was able to hold down. I lost 25lbs, it was needed at 224 but not this way. The oncolgist took me off January. One visit to ER found to be dehrydrated etc. At this same time I was having major pain in my arm, not able to lift without pain. I have a rotator cuff tear known because of prior surgery in 2009. Doctor order MRI and then ultra sound. no results I asked him if my cancer could be the problem? Bone scan showed cancer on the shoulder blade, I then did one raidation treatment 3 weeks ago and with pain meds I have almost full use of my arm with minor pain that I can handle. But back to my chemo meds now using Sutent, it also caused the side effects. I stopped after 2 weeks. I just got home from a 5 day visit in hospital as I passed out one morning, also came down with UTI and a little gout attack in hospital. I am waiting to see a new plan to attack this new cancer. I have surviored 6 surgeries without Chemo up to now. Ed remember to take one day at a time God bless

• bry4856
    bry4856 Member Posts: 14
    sorry

sorry