Lung function and excersise

katenorwood
katenorwood Member Posts: 1,912

Hello everyone !

I have a crazy question, but one that I have been wondering for awhile.  Before my head and neck dx, and recent lung resect...which was minimal (10-12%) lower lobe removed, I was at 37% lung function.  Now I haven't been retested but can tell I tire out so easily with normal activity.  I was so active and enjoyed sports so much before the beast hit.  My MD doesn't think it's a good idea to swim.....which I will try anyway because I'm stubborn that way.  (but will use floatation device)  I want to start bowling again....so many things.  I know we are suppose to accept our new normal, but has anyone had experience that excersise will worsen our lung function ?  They are still very concerned I have ADCC mets, but I'm not having any more removed as there isn't much left to take.  Thanks for any advice or experience with this.    Katie

Comments

• lekkerone
    lekkerone Member Posts: 199 Member
    Exercise

I had my lower left lobe removed in 2010 and also have COPD.  I think that exercise helps me to breathe more easily.  If I don't exercise it get out of breath more easily.  I swim, use the treadmill as often as possible and walk outside when the weather allows .  Hope this helps,  Diane

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    Exercise is essential.

Exercise is a tool that will help you achieve a new normal that resembles the previous one.  You did not go through that surgery to sit at home in front of the TV.  Your MD, is that your primary care doc or your onco?  Many docs are still in the Dark Ages and view this as a death sentence.  Bowl and swim away!  Swim with a partner tto be safe. 

• katenorwood
    lekkerone said:

Exercise

I had my lower left lobe removed in 2010 and also have COPD.  I think that exercise helps me to breathe more easily.  If I don't exercise it get out of breath more easily.  I swim, use the treadmill as often as possible and walk outside when the weather allows .  Hope this helps,  Diane

validation

lekkerone,

I am thankful to hear my inner voice was dead on.  Thank you for the valadation on this topic.  I was thinking some kind of a stepper or treadmill would be wonderful !  My clinic is huge, and with walking from each office to the other is probably 3 blocks.  There is a guy who drives this vehicle around helping people get from place to place....I just smile at him, and say no thank you.  They do have chairs positioned thru out the halls, and I do rest if I have to.  Slow and easy to start with, but I am determined to get back on track !  Thank you !   Katie

• katenorwood
    dennycee said:

Exercise is essential.

Exercise is a tool that will help you achieve a new normal that resembles the previous one.  You did not go through that surgery to sit at home in front of the TV.  Your MD, is that your primary care doc or your onco?  Many docs are still in the Dark Ages and view this as a death sentence.  Bowl and swim away!  Swim with a partner tto be safe. 

essential empowers me !

dennycee,

Yes at first it was my primary care, but in the hospital after surgery it was PT and thorasic.  With walking, which is crazy....my o2 will drop down into the 60's.  I have an o2 meter at home I put away because it will drive me crazy some days.  deenycee....do you have a crystal ball ?  Yes more than not days I sit in front of that darn TV.  I started sewing again, and re-did my kitchen chairs and curtains.  It was absolutely amazing and I almost felt like yeah...I can do this !  I will take this subject very serious and get up and move.  Won't be super woman, but who knows.  Bowling is a passion, and I will get back into this.  I just want to feel like I control my body, not this cruddy disease.  Thank you for your empowing advice !   Katie

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member

essential empowers me !

dennycee,

Yes at first it was my primary care, but in the hospital after surgery it was PT and thorasic.  With walking, which is crazy....my o2 will drop down into the 60's.  I have an o2 meter at home I put away because it will drive me crazy some days.  deenycee....do you have a crystal ball ?  Yes more than not days I sit in front of that darn TV.  I started sewing again, and re-did my kitchen chairs and curtains.  It was absolutely amazing and I almost felt like yeah...I can do this !  I will take this subject very serious and get up and move.  Won't be super woman, but who knows.  Bowling is a passion, and I will get back into this.  I just want to feel like I control my body, not this cruddy disease.  Thank you for your empowing advice !   Katie

Exactly Kate!

Don't know what part of the country you are in but many YMCA's on the coasts and some in the Midwest have the Livestrong program.  At a Gilda's Club or Cancer Support Center they offer another program called Transitions.  Some hospitals are offering the Cancer Transitions Program as well.  It took me a while to do it but I can now walk two miles and have joined a gym.  When I had my colonoscopy this past year the anesthesiologist was looking for an out, the doctor too until I explained that I walk two miles regularly. My own oncologist is surprised.  

Love him or hate him, Lance Armstrong did complete the Tour de France.  Something many of his haters could not do even with performance enhancing drugs.  

Edit to add that I pushed an empty wheelchair around until I was comfy doing the walk without needing to bring along a place to sit.  I got real tired of TV.  Was never a great couch potato anyhow.  I may not be able to do all the things I used to but I have taken jewelry making classes and love it.  

• Ex_Rock_n_Roller
    Ex_Rock_n_Roller Member Posts: 281 Member
    Exercise is a must ...

... as far as I'm concerned. My docs were also reluctant about swimming, which was my #1 sport, but I've taken up the slack with biking, stationary and road, ever since the end of first-line treatment. I'm a lunatic about it.

I've never had anybody suggest that it was anything but a good idea, and if you're functioning at a level that allows you to move around at all, I can't see how it could be a bad idea.