Pneumonectomy via VaTs

emy247
emy247 Member Posts: 8

Just returned home Tues eve from 4 days at hospital after having entire rt lung removed via VATS I have had some crepitus at the back of the upper incision, seems to make it hurt more. It was stage 3 a nsclc, they think they got it all removed. I started getting around room and out of bed right away. What I need to know is how much I should I be walking and moving around this first week, being still fairly sore. I have a treadmill to use at home. Should I plan distances to go each week? No one tells you how to plan recovery. Any advise will be appreciated

Comments

• catcon49
    catcon49 Member Posts: 398
    when I had VATS surgery, i

when I had VATS surgery, i walked back and forth to the mail box the first week. I lost the RLL. Didn't have much breathing problems. you may have shortness of breath. Walk a little everyday ideally if you have someone with you that would be better. Give yourself some time to heal. But walking is good for you. I use to have my kids follow me around our neighborhood in a car in case I couldn't make it home.  I was out of work a total of 11 weeks. I had constipation issues. Good luck 3a is still treatable

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    If you live near a Gilda's

If you live near a Gilda's Club or Cancer Support Center they offer a class called Transitions.  Check your local YMCA to see if they offer the Livestrong program.  I did the Transitions program and it was great.  

i would start off slow and let your body tell you when it's time to stop.  It's great that you have the treadmill so you can't go for a walk and get stuck away from home.  I pushed a wheelchair around the neighborhood and if I got tired my walking partner could push me for a bit.  I worked up to a mile that way then dumped the wheelchair.  

• DashfixerJim
    DashfixerJim Member Posts: 6
    SCLC

Hi, My Mum has Small Cell Lung Cancer, at the last xray it looked like the left lung was a complete white out, and now she has a lump in her neck/lymph node.

I was interested to read posts about comlete lung removal, we haven't been offered any options at all, my mum went through a week of radiation and chemo and the chemo nearly finished her off.

She cant take the chemo at all so the hospital have basically gave up on her now and sent in the hospice nurses and told us its just a waiting game now.

She was only diagnosed 6 months ago, surely she has other options like complete lung removal.... or is this only for LCLC?

Jim

• DashfixerJim
    DashfixerJim Member Posts: 6
    SCLC

• emy247

SCLC

Hi, My Mum has Small Cell Lung Cancer, at the last xray it looked like the left lung was a complete white out, and now she has a lump in her neck/lymph node.

I was interested to read posts about comlete lung removal, we haven't been offered any options at all, my mum went through a week of radiation and chemo and the chemo nearly finished her off.

She cant take the chemo at all so the hospital have basically gave up on her now and sent in the hospice nurses and told us its just a waiting game now.

She was only diagnosed 6 months ago, surely she has other options like complete lung removal.... or is this only for LCLC?

Jim

nsclc

I'm not sure if it is an option for small cell, but I do know you can't give up. Get  second opinion. I think full removal is a plan for several types. there are people on this site with stage 4 inoperable that are still kicking it. read e boards, keep an open mind. prayer s are with you.

• emy247
    catcon49 said:

when I had VATS surgery, i

when I had VATS surgery, i walked back and forth to the mail box the first week. I lost the RLL. Didn't have much breathing problems. you may have shortness of breath. Walk a little everyday ideally if you have someone with you that would be better. Give yourself some time to heal. But walking is good for you. I use to have my kids follow me around our neighborhood in a car in case I couldn't make it home.  I was out of work a total of 11 weeks. I had constipation issues. Good luck 3a is still treatable

Thanks. I think I'm going to

Thanks. I think I'm going to build up half mile at a time. I also let my  pain get ahead of me.Won't do that again. Looking rward to your good news in a couple months.