Who has had chemo FIRST then surgery?

2»

Comments

• Buddy2013
    Buddy2013 Member Posts: 17 Member
    Ditto Herman Cain

I went to the same hospital for two small liver mets.  They said they'd found it very powerful to have chemo in advance of surgery as well as after.  I had not yet had any chemo when they told me this so my liver had no chemo damage.

I had four treatments of FOLFOX6, middle two of those with Avastin.  They did liver rx surgery about six weeks later.  They said the two tumors were largely necrotic.  

I've read it makes a difference as to the chemo drugs you've had before liver rx.  Some are more damaging to the liver than others. 

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    *Deep sigh*

It is always with mixed emotions when I see these older posts brought back. Remembering those who have passed who posted in this thread brings a tear to my eye. 

Sue - Trubrit

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Trubrit said:

*Deep sigh*

It is always with mixed emotions when I see these older posts brought back. Remembering those who have passed who posted in this thread brings a tear to my eye. 

Sue - Trubrit

I know when I realized this

I know when I realized this was old and saw Barb, my heart just sank.  Then I looked at the others and it sank further.  Chris who went so young.  You just wish you could go back to this moment in time and have a do over.

• Trubrit
    Helen321 said:

I know when I realized this

I know when I realized this was old and saw Barb, my heart just sank.  Then I looked at the others and it sank further.  Chris who went so young.  You just wish you could go back to this moment in time and have a do over.

Barb, Zach, Ted, Chelsea's husband...

all gone. 

Haven't heard from Buster for a while. Hope he's hanging in there. 

Damn!

• GodsSurgicalSherpa
    GodsSurgicalSherpa Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2021 #26
    Did you work with an experienced nutritionist?

Hi Phil,

Was wondering...for a member of my faith-health community --- her colonoscopy reveals a tumor in her large intestine that did not allow the camera to venture above it...so the colon rectal surgeon said he can't operate until 6 months. She has to see an oncologist. He said NO FIBER whatsoever. That sounds crazy as the good microbiome needs fiber and my question is: did you work with an experience nutritionist who knows how to work with colon cancer patients?

Sure would appreciate your thoughts and/or recommendations.

Thanks!

Maria del Carmen

• Trubrit
    edited November 2021 #27
    Welcome Maria

This is a very old post - 2013, and Phil pops in once in a while. I will give him a nudge, and let him know you have asked him a question. 

Tru

• Phil64
    Phil64 Member Posts: 838 Member
    edited November 2021 #28
    Nutrition

Maria, 

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's diagnosis. Before I answer your question I'm compelled to say that I am not a doctor and can't give medical advice. However I can share my experiences and beliefs. I have talked to nutritionist and to doctors about nutrition affect on cancer. I continue to take a vitamin D3 supplement as I (and many others with various forms of cancer) are deficlient in this. i also believe that sugar is something that most Americans abuse and I try to minimize sugar and carbs. That being said I firmly believe the BEST way to battle cancer is to seek out an oncologist you can trust and then follow their lead, with complete faith. 

For additional info please read the open letter I have composed, directed to fellow cancer warriors and to those who support us. That letter can be found at:

https://pscamihorn.me/an-open-letter/

Wishing you and your friend Blessings and great success!!!

Phil

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited November 2021 #29
    still.

still.