Confused - CA125 increased after debulking

Barb
Barb Member Posts: 8

First, I'd like to say how much help this group has already been and thank you!

My Mom, a young 71, was diagnosed with peritoneal cancer last month (Nov. 2012).  Her CA125 was 5,338 November 24, 2012.  The doctor first suspected ovarian cancer, but after surgery to remove as much of the cancer has possible, he said the ovaries were only minimally affected and that it presented itself to be peritoneal cancer.

The doctor said he was able to removed 95% of the cancer, but explained the remaining cancer was like paint splatter.  There is cancer on the outer surface of all of her abdonial organs, but he said it hadn't invaded any of the organs.  Her omentum was removed along with a full hysterecomy, appendectomy, and the removal of some lympnodes.

She had labs redrawn December 18, 2012 and her CA125 has risen to 5,427.

Please help me to understand this.  In my mind, I was expecting to see the number somewhat lower.

Thank you,

Sheila

Comments

• seatown
    seatown Member Posts: 261 Member
    Try to be patient. . . .

So sorry to hear of your mom's diagnosis. I can offer my own experience -- I didn't have debulking surgery. But just after my diagnosis & start of chemo in July 2012, my CA 125 number rose slightly. Can't repeat just what my oncologist said, but it was along the lines of "this is the cancer cells' last blast before succumbing to chemo." He was right -- the number has gone steadily downward ever since, from 2,738 at the peak to 53 in early Dec. I hope when I see him on New Year's Eve the number will be in the range of normal. I would suggest you wait to see how  the CA 125 number changes over time. Best of luck to you both!

• seatown
    seatown Member Posts: 261 Member
    Oops.

Inadvertently clicked twice. Wish there was a "delete" option!

• Barb
    seatown said:

Try to be patient. . . .

So sorry to hear of your mom's diagnosis. I can offer my own experience -- I didn't have debulking surgery. But just after my diagnosis & start of chemo in July 2012, my CA 125 number rose slightly. Can't repeat just what my oncologist said, but it was along the lines of "this is the cancer cells' last blast before succumbing to chemo." He was right -- the number has gone steadily downward ever since, from 2,738 at the peak to 53 in early Dec. I hope when I see him on New Year's Eve the number will be in the range of normal. I would suggest you wait to see how  the CA 125 number changes over time. Best of luck to you both!

Thank you, Seatown!

I appreciate you sharing and will be hoping for low numbers of New Year's Eve for you!  That makes sense what your oncologist said.  We've learned so much in such a short period of time and have so much more to learn.  This website has been more help than I can put into words!  Mom is so encouraged... we all are.  The worse part of this first round of treatment was not knowing what to expect.  We understood every person reacts different.  We feel next time will be a little easier just having some idea of what to expect and how to use the home meds.  It's definitely a learning process and I'm sure glad to have this resource to help us learn!

Wishing you a Happy New Years Eve!

Sheila

• Barb
    seatown said:

Oops.

Inadvertently clicked twice. Wish there was a "delete" option!

Happened to me, too

I don't think it was you.  I had my post to show three times and then the website was really slow.  I thought it was just my computer at first, but I'm thinking maybe something was going on with the website.