The first year of my new life begins.

As I sit here enjoying my family today, I think forward a bit to my new life and what it will bring. Was dx'ed with Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma on 11-27-12, surgery 12-4-12 to remove the betrayed organ...it seems like it was yesterday I was sitting in the ER thinking I had kidney stones before the bad news was told to me. It has been a whirlwind of doctors, hospital room sessions, needles, IV bags, followups, and re-telling my story to my family and friends what seems like hundreds of times. Yet the word cancer still seems like a new term, a whole new meaning that it never had before it was found inside ME. Even with my good prognosis following the kidney removal, I know cancer concerns will be a lifelong partner with me, and I try not to worry about every 6 month checkup, try not to worry about what MIGHT happen before it even happens. I realize that there are others with kidney cancer that have it much worse than I do, that some of them will not be with us in a few years. Such is life, we are born, we live, and we die. What we do between the birth and death part defines us, defines our legacy to the rest of the world, defines our individual humanity. Instead of thinking about the bad, the negatives, I want to think and focus on the good and the positives. I want to make my part count, the previous 42 years plus how ever many years I have left in this world, and I will continue to pursue that goal.

Each cancer case is it's own universe, and stats mean nothing to the person that has cancer, you don't want to think about median mortality rates, percentages of survival over 5 years, chances of recurrence, metastasis into other parts of your body. Reading the internet too much can scare the hell out of you. I am scared still at times and will be for years, those times are when I need to talk to people, to talk to my friends and family, to get that negativity moved out of the way, so that I can continue moving forward. After recovering fully, I have a marathon to do in the name of all cancer patients, for those that can't run one or will not survive long enough to do so. I will dedicate it to them, to those before me, to those after me with cancer, to my children, family, and friends. It will be my next win in the fight against this disease that betrays one's own body.

So bring on 2013, the first year of my new life. I have alot of living left to do.

Comments

• jhsu
    jhsu Member Posts: 80
    You are not alone
    I ran my fist full marathon in March 2009, 9 months after an open chest lung resection back-to-back after left kidney radical nephrectomy. And my 16th one is going to be the first weekend after the new year, first run after a lower left lung lobectomy in May this year. I still remember the burst of emotions the moment crossing finish line the very first time. And still does every single time. My life is so worthy.

Jon
  • therapture
    therapture Member Posts: 25
    jhsu said:

You are not alone

I ran my fist full marathon in March 2009, 9 months after an open chest lung resection back-to-back after left kidney radical nephrectomy. And my 16th one is going to be the first weekend after the new year, first run after a lower left lung lobectomy in May this year. I still remember the burst of emotions the moment crossing finish line the very first time. And still does every single time. My life is so worthy.

Jon
    I have only ran 2 full and 2

I have only ran 2 full and 2 half marathons. The first time was the best.

You are an inspiration to complete more!

• garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647
    jhsu said:

You are not alone

Jon
    Happy birthday Rap...

I just turned three myself...rest assured that the emotions will settle down over time, but your perspective on life has been forever altered (for the better IMO)...it is one of the few good things that come from this experience.

• Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    garym said:

Happy birthday Rap...

I just turned three myself...rest assured that the emotions will settle down over time, but your perspective on life has been forever altered (for the better IMO)...it is one of the few good things that come from this experience.

Marathons

You've never mentioned that you've done 3 marathons, Gary :)

Jon's story sure is an inspiration isn't it!

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member

Marathons

You've never mentioned that you've done 3 marathons, Gary :)

Jon's story sure is an inspiration isn't it!

marathons

I've done 5, including Boston and New York. A middle of the packpack runner. Still ranks as the coolest tthings I' ve done.

• jhsu
    jhsu Member Posts: 80
    foxhd said:

marathons

I've done 5, including Boston and New York. A middle of the packpack runner. Still ranks as the coolest tthings I' ve done.

We are so special
    When I talk about cancer with marathon runners, they have no clue what I really feel. Vise versa, try talk about running a marathon with cancer patients, they think I am from out of space.

Only you guys would appreciate how wonderful life is when we cross that finish line.

Jon