Pain in the Hip?? Anyone??

joemetz
joemetz Member Posts: 493
woke up this morning with a bad pain in my left hip.
it's right in the join area, and its been getting worse all day.

Painful.

Went to get my Avastin treatment... complained a little, but it wasn't this painful then.
Took a shower, now using a heating pad.

Strange pains.

I'm on Xeloda and Avastin.
been feeling pretty good... i hope this isn't a side effect from the drugs.

anyone has hip pain as a side effect???

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Of Course...
    Both hips actually...and up the small of my back...all day every day...mornings are the worstfor me and if I've stood for long...or bend over at waist...or walk a long time...etc.

It's a by-product of the radiation I swallowed in those areas, Joe.

I've learned to accept what I cannot change and live with it...it has gotten much worse the past 8-years...I ponder the future of what will be - if I continue to be...

No doubt that chemo drugs contribute to the condition - though I don't know to what degree...I can say that radiation appears to be more damaging - is permanent - and the effects continue to have an effect many years post-treatment.

You look good, Joe...glad all is going well for you...hope your pain dissipates or subsides altogether.

-Craig
  • Deena11
    Deena11 Member Posts: 199 Member
    I feel your pain
    I have terrible joint pain in my left shoulder (other joints now ache too but the left shoulder is a killer). It has been three months since my last chemo treatment (no radiation). The pain started two months ago. It hurts the most in the mornings but is pretty constant through the day. Sometimes it is hard to sleep on that side.

I've heard other people say they have had joint pains during and after chemo. I hope it is temporary!
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I have a 'bum' hip....
    ...product of rads during rectal cancer treatment...

I agree with Craig....

"It's not what you are left with, but what you DO with what you are left with that makes all the difference"....

That said, ring your doctor in the morning...may be a connective tissue issue...cortizone shot can help with that....try not to dx yourself, dearheart!!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Chelsea71
    Chelsea71 Member Posts: 1,169 Member
    Hi Joe,
    How is your hip

Hi Joe,

How is your hip today? Is it feeling any better?

Chelsea
  • Vickilg
    Vickilg Member Posts: 281 Member
    Chelsea71 said:

Hi Joe,
    How is your hip

Hi Joe,

How is your hip today? Is it feeling any better?

Chelsea

I'm on Avastin and Xeloda Too
    Hi, Joe... I'm on Avastin and Xeloda too and a couple of weeks ago I had a pain from my back, down my leg to my foot. My husband said it was the siatic nerve. I took Tylenol and went to bed. The next day it was gone and didn't come back thank God because I was freaking out a bit. I wonder if it a side effect of the combination of Avastin and Xeloda.

Are you still have the pain?

Vicki
  • annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    I had pretty severe joint pain during chemo...
    although it was a different one than you are on. I believe it's a not uncommon side effect for many chemotherapies. It did improve quite a bit after I ended tx, so hopefully yours will too (if it's not better already)! Ann Alexandria
  • son of hal
    son of hal Member Posts: 117
    Hey Joe- Yea, I had hip pain
    Hey Joe- Yea, I had hip pain for about a year after treatment. I could barely cross my legs or put on socks in the morning. I was worried that was my new normal. Now, I rarely have any pain there and very little stiffness. Not sure why but I'll take what I can get. If I think about any connections with lifestyle or diet I'll be sure to bring it up to you.
    Take care,
    CJ
  • joemetz
    Sundanceh said:

Of Course...
    Both hips actually...and up the small of my back...all day every day...mornings are the worstfor me and if I've stood for long...or bend over at waist...or walk a long time...etc.

It's a by-product of the radiation I swallowed in those areas, Joe.

I've learned to accept what I cannot change and live with it...it has gotten much worse the past 8-years...I ponder the future of what will be - if I continue to be...

No doubt that chemo drugs contribute to the condition - though I don't know to what degree...I can say that radiation appears to be more damaging - is permanent - and the effects continue to have an effect many years post-treatment.

You look good, Joe...glad all is going well for you...hope your pain dissipates or subsides altogether.

-Craig

thanks & update
    thanks to everyone for your feedback. VERY helpful.

the pain go worse over the past few days... so bad after sitting still for more than an hour, that I could barely walk.

going to the doctors today. but what's crazy, is it feels better this morning than it has in a week. I'm doing the old "should i cancel the doctors appointment" conversation in my head... but i'm going to go see the doc as i haven't seen him in awhile. (since August)

thanks for your notes, concern and help.

will keep you posted.

joe
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    joemetz said:

thanks & update
    thanks to everyone for your feedback. VERY helpful.

the pain go worse over the past few days... so bad after sitting still for more than an hour, that I could barely walk.

going to the doctors today. but what's crazy, is it feels better this morning than it has in a week. I'm doing the old "should i cancel the doctors appointment" conversation in my head... but i'm going to go see the doc as i haven't seen him in awhile. (since August)

thanks for your notes, concern and help.

will keep you posted.

joe

Joe! Just remembered...
    (AND KEEP THAT APPOINTMENT!!!!!!!)

I had joint trouble in general. I asked my doc about Glucosamine/Chondroiton...she said it couldn't hurt...so I tried it and it helped...

Hugs, Kathi
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Hip
    Hope it gets better and you get a good answer from the doctor. Let us know how you are feeling.

Kim
  • danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    Vickilg said:

Hi, Joe... I'm on Avastin and Xeloda too and a couple of weeks ago I had a pain from my back, down my leg to my foot. My husband said it was the siatic nerve. I took Tylenol and went to bed. The next day it was gone and didn't come back thank God because I was freaking out a bit. I wonder if it a side effect of the combination of Avastin and Xeloda.

Vicki

siatic pain
    When I had Sliped disc at l5 they had me in traction in the Williams position. It is basically two pillows under your head and shoulders with pillow or rolled up blanket under you knees. Give it a try for pain down your leg.
  • joemetz

Hip
    Hope it gets better and you get a good answer from the doctor. Let us know how you are feeling.

Kim

new normal
    went to the doc's today about this hip ****!

he moved me all around and said it seems like a bursitis or possibly arthritis each could be caused by the chemo. He ordered X-rays of the hip(s) and they should read them this afternoon. for now he just said to stretch and take advil or tylenol. I said "those things are poison" He laughed. (knowing that Chemo = Poison in my book)

feeling better today... just really pissed off about this past week as it feels like a real set back. today I complete week 11 of this Xeloda/Avastin combo. one week to go to complete 12 weeks... CT scan and blood work next week.

I might be dreaming... but NED under the Christmas Tree would make me cry a river of happy tears.

Doc and I had good conversations and although I don't want to... but I am going to begin Zoloff for the mood swings. (I am a TypeA kind of guy anyway... and my highs and lows are a bit more extreme lately... so I'm going to start this stuff to see if I can get more focus and less erratic emotions. Also i have been taking a half of an Ambien pill about every 3rd night... because i cannot seem to stay asleep all night. i wake up and my mind begins to go and go. So, he encourages me to take a half a pill every night.

if any of you have feedback, direction, opinions or ideas... (and I know you do) Share em!!!
  • Chelsea71
    Chelsea71 Member Posts: 1,169 Member
    joemetz said:

new normal

he moved me all around and said it seems like a bursitis or possibly arthritis each could be caused by the chemo. He ordered X-rays of the hip(s) and they should read them this afternoon. for now he just said to stretch and take advil or tylenol. I said "those things are poison" He laughed. (knowing that Chemo = Poison in my book)

feeling better today... just really pissed off about this past week as it feels like a real set back. today I complete week 11 of this Xeloda/Avastin combo. one week to go to complete 12 weeks... CT scan and blood work next week.

I might be dreaming... but NED under the Christmas Tree would make me cry a river of happy tears.

Doc and I had good conversations and although I don't want to... but I am going to begin Zoloff for the mood swings. (I am a TypeA kind of guy anyway... and my highs and lows are a bit more extreme lately... so I'm going to start this stuff to see if I can get more focus and less erratic emotions. Also i have been taking a half of an Ambien pill about every 3rd night... because i cannot seem to stay asleep all night. i wake up and my mind begins to go and go. So, he encourages me to take a half a pill every night.

if any of you have feedback, direction, opinions or ideas... (and I know you do) Share em!!!

Glad your feeling better
    Glad your feeling better today. I don't think your the yoga type. I'm not either. I walk/jog and don't take time to stretch before and after. I have chronic pain in my hips and legs. At my doctors urging I tried yoga (nothing fancy. Simple stretches) and it helped almost immediately. After a few weeks, I felt good as new. Quit doing them when Steve was diagnosed. Even though I am in pain now, I just can't seem to muster the energy to get down on the floor and do them.

I administer psychotropic medications at work, so I know a little bit about Zoloft. It should make a big difference for you. Wide mood swings can be very exhausting for the individual and also for family etc. I hope Zoloft helps. However, I hope it doesn't help too much. LOL. I get a big kick out of your posts. You seem to have a lot of positive energy.

I remember from a previous post that you have an up-coming scan. My husband has one on the same day. I'm quite anxious as I'm sure you are, as well. Good luck with it.

All the best,

Chelsea
  • Bearsmile
    Bearsmile Member Posts: 24
    hip pain
    hi I am a care giver for my Dad and he has pain in his hip. He has been fighting colon cancer for over 10 years now. In the spring he was complaining of hip pain so after an x-ray showed a shadow it was determined that the cancer which had gone from his colon to his liver to his lungs was now probably on his hip. He is on the brand new drug and his hip seems to be ok some days but worse others. He was on Avastin and Xeloda and lots of others. He has a walker due to the arthitis in his knees and he says the walker helps take the pressure off the hip. Good luck and thank you for sharing. It is nice to know he is not the only one with pain in his hip.
  • joemetz
    Chelsea71 said:

Glad your feeling better
    Glad your feeling better today. I don't think your the yoga type. I'm not either. I walk/jog and don't take time to stretch before and after. I have chronic pain in my hips and legs. At my doctors urging I tried yoga (nothing fancy. Simple stretches) and it helped almost immediately. After a few weeks, I felt good as new. Quit doing them when Steve was diagnosed. Even though I am in pain now, I just can't seem to muster the energy to get down on the floor and do them.

I administer psychotropic medications at work, so I know a little bit about Zoloft. It should make a big difference for you. Wide mood swings can be very exhausting for the individual and also for family etc. I hope Zoloft helps. However, I hope it doesn't help too much. LOL. I get a big kick out of your posts. You seem to have a lot of positive energy.

I remember from a previous post that you have an up-coming scan. My husband has one on the same day. I'm quite anxious as I'm sure you are, as well. Good luck with it.

All the best,

Chelsea

this week scan
    Chelsea

thank you for your kind words.

I had the "harness who you are and harness your creativity speech" with my 19 year old son at Thanksgiving time. I was that "problem kid" in grade school... they didn't talk much about A.D.D. when I was a kid... but I definitely couldn't focus very well in class. Never was an A student, but was often bored when I'd listen to others who didn't move as fast or express themselves quickly or honestly enough. So, now that i'm 48 i think i understand it.

whereas before i was 30... i always felt i thought differently than everyone else.

so yes, i am proud of the fact that my personality and passion comes out in my written words.

I'll be thinking of you and your hubby this week. yep, my scan is Thursday the 6th and hope to be hearing some good news later that afternoon. I told my doctor that if it's bad news... lets save it for the next day. but if good news, call me on my cell. He laughed.

hears to positive reports for all.!

Joe
  • joemetz
    Bearsmile said:

hip pain
    hi I am a care giver for my Dad and he has pain in his hip. He has been fighting colon cancer for over 10 years now. In the spring he was complaining of hip pain so after an x-ray showed a shadow it was determined that the cancer which had gone from his colon to his liver to his lungs was now probably on his hip. He is on the brand new drug and his hip seems to be ok some days but worse others. He was on Avastin and Xeloda and lots of others. He has a walker due to the arthitis in his knees and he says the walker helps take the pressure off the hip. Good luck and thank you for sharing. It is nice to know he is not the only one with pain in his hip.

10 years-
    thanks for sharing.

10 years is good news and bad news... right?

bad news is all the dame side effects that have damaged his body. yet he's had 10 years of love and care and sharing.

Better than the old car crash syndrome!!!

give your dad a hug today and be thankful.

how long was he on Xeloda and Avastin?
    was it negative side effects from the meds that stopped that treatment?
    or did his cancer begin to grow and the drugs just didn't work any longer?

thanks
  • joemetz
    Vickilg said:

Vicki

doctors
    my doctors suggested Fish Oil every day for the joint pains and vitamin B6 (400mgs per day) for the neuopathy.

and tylenol or advil for any additional pain.

its working and feeling better today than all of last week.

i think these joint pains is our body telling us...

"He buddy, it's your body here, slow down!"
  • Bearsmile
    Bearsmile Member Posts: 24
    joemetz said:

10 years-
    thanks for sharing.

10 years is good news and bad news... right?

bad news is all the dame side effects that have damaged his body. yet he's had 10 years of love and care and sharing.

Better than the old car crash syndrome!!!

give your dad a hug today and be thankful.

how long was he on Xeloda and Avastin?
    was it negative side effects from the meds that stopped that treatment?
    or did his cancer begin to grow and the drugs just didn't work any longer?

thanks

10 years
    The cancer began to grow and that is why the drugs stopped working. I dont know about the Xeloda but he has had avastin throughtout most treatments in combination with other drugs. The side effects have been tolerable. He has meds and sees a neurologist for the neuropathy in his hands and feet and with meds he is able to deal with it. Thank you for your response and keep fighting. :)
  • joemetz
    Hip update
    got a dreaded phone call today... doc says that the X-ray on the hip shows a little something that is hard to distinguish what it is, so an MRI is being ordered.

the doctor gave me the choice, as the radiologist stated that it shouldn't be a concern right now, but to watch it or if there is concern order and MRI.

I wanted to know rather than worry or think about it.

I hate this crap!
  • Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    joemetz said:

new normal

I'm late but I had the hip
    I'm late but I had the hip pain surrounded by large pockets of gas so I had to give up speed walking. Now I do more low impact exercise or slower, shorter walks. Xeloda and Oxilaplatin were my two drugs when it started. Once I stopped doing high impact, the gas completely went away and the hip pain was tolerable. I'm thinking about taking up swimming in a heated pool. Still have pain often in fingers, one knee but I'm currently only doing Xeloda and that seems to make a large difference, just minor discomfort. I have arthritis so it all makes sense.

I read that one of the most important things about joint pain is swelling and keeping it down through diet. Hence the fish oil. I've yet to get it right but I'm still working on diet. You want anti swelling foods. There are lists online. Pretty much the American diet is a disastrous one that causes tons of swelling. Slowly but surely I'm eliminating junk food. I am a sugar addict. Hello my name is Helen and it's been 6 days since I haven't had sugar although if brownies count I'm screwed. Obviously I've got some work to do. I just found a place that makes wheat pizza with vegetables on top that is delicious and hopefully their sauce doesn't contain a lot of sugar. Little daily changes. Also the new diet mixed with rad is causing havoc on my digestion so I'm switching between Imodium and stool softeners to balance.

I did Zoloft and it worked wonders but I took it with a mood enhancer wellbutrin. The combo was a good one and didn't require high doses. I don't need those currently but I do have Adavan around in case I have an anxiety attack which tends to happen before tests. Ambien made me nuts, literally. You can do things like walk in your sleep, make food, drive your car, yell at the dog and stand at the top of the stairs in knee slapping laughter. I yelled at the dog (don't remember) and obviously guilty of some knee slapping (which unfortunately I remember -thank God my kids didn't think to grab the video. lol). So just make sure when you take it, someone is monitoring you so you know if you are doing any of these things. A few people on here put me on to melatonin, which is natural and no crazy antics. Worked better to me than the ambien. Doctors tend to give you prescription meds. when nature usually provides.

The thing that has really worked best for me at this point is getting my personality under control. Calmer driving (I've stopped yelling at others - almost completely - so the guy can't drive, why would I make that my stress, that's his stress. I say that outloud a lot while driving.) and I'm out on disability and a LOT calmer now. Didn't realize how high strung and stressed I was while working. I go back on the 20th, but I'm going back with a much more relaxed attitude about it. Two months off got my life back in perspective. At the end of the day, I'm just an employee and I don't own the business. I am not going to make or break my life over someone else's business venture, it's not like they're going to give me their money at the end of the day. And others are not going to get to **** to me about their work problems, get a grip, it's really not that serious. The 17 year old me wants the 42 year old me to remember how relaxed and fun I used to be. It's just a job, it's just a long line, it's just a guy who can't drive, who cares, go with the flow. I could care less about the angry people around me anymore (America is shockingly angry all the time - just sit and people watch and you'll see it in the supermarkets, in schools, in cars, pretty much everywhere.) I've been doing a lot of people watching and listening. I don't feed into it at all anymore. I only get to live once and this is my wake up call. My sleeping has really improved (and I do more of it) with basic personality fixes and relaxation techniques.

If NED is under your tree, please send him to me. I am finishing this round of treatment on the 13th and looking for him myself=)