esophegus cancer survivors

Options
I am posting this to ask if anyone has ever heard about the University of Michigan for treatments. We were told on Monday they can't help my husband anymore in the small town we live in. It has spread more in his liver. any help for us?

Comments

• Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Thinking of You
    Hello and welcome to you and your husband. I am sorry to hear of your recent news. I was
    a caregiver for my dad, Ray. He passed from EC in March 2010. It is a fightable disease.
    You have to do your best to stay positive, keep your faith in God, and stay as strong as you both can. We live in Virginia. We went to UVA Hospital in Charlottesville, Va. I am not familiar with what is available in Michagan. You have to do a lot of reasearch. Call the American Cancer Society. They are most helpful. They gave us a gasoline gift card when I had to take my dad for treatments. There will be someone who will read this and respond with information in your area. You can always lean on us. That is what we are here for. We have all been where you are. Hoping I have been of some help to you. Keep in touch.
    Tina in Va
  • ShellyAS
    ShellyAS Member Posts: 24
    Options
    U of M Hospital
    My husbands GI wanted him to go to U of M hospital when his cancer was first discovered. More importantly he wanted him to see a Dr. Mark Orringer that I have seen mentioned on this site and others. When we were researching hospitals, they certainly have the experience and talent. Because of numerous other factors, not related to quality of care, we decided not to go to U of M Hospital.

Take care,
    Shelly
  • LauraandLarry
    LauraandLarry Member Posts: 184
    Options
    U of M
    Hi, so sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis. U of M is one of only 3 Esophageal Cancer Centers in the country. The less invasive esophagectomy was originally designed by the Russians and Dr Orringer at U of M is the surgeon who has perfected it. He is world renowned. We are approx. 50 miles from U of M so my husband is having his treatments at our local cancer center and then he will transfer to U of M for surgery. It isnt easy to see Dr Orringer. Your husband would have to meet criteria. However I would recommend an appointment with an oncologist at the center for another opinion fast. I do know of another person who had mets to the liver who is a two year survivor out of U of M. Please never give up. Do not give up.