SCLC - Prognosis

This is all very new to me so I apologize if I used incorrect terms or spelling ahead of time.

My father was diagnosed about 4 weeks ago. This is after 3 months of being treated first for what they thought to be TB and then A Typical Pneumonia. Turns out it is Small Cell Lung Cancer. Long and painful story short, he has been through 5 treatments of radiation (5 days 2 weeks ago). He finally starts his Chemo on Monday. It has spread to his spine, his collar bone, his ribs, wrapped around his bronchial tube, and now we found out yesterday that it is in his bone marrow. They biopsied last week after his platelets were at 6,000.

I am not in the same state as my parents, so my information is limited to what I am finding out 3rd person. However, the oncologist is very optimistic. I have been reading and researching, and the outlook looks grim. I am scared, and don’t know what to believe. I want the truth though. I am 4 states and way and as impossible as it is for me to be there long term, I need to make a decision based on fact not hopes. I want to be optimistic and I know I need to be but I also need to make decisions based on what is really going on.

I know everyone is different, and there are no guarantees. I am just so scared, and don’t know what is going on. I am hoping for some insight.

Thank-you!

Comments

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    Lovethoscurls, welcome to
    Lovethoscurls, welcome to the CNS website. Sorry though for the circumstances that bring you. My first suggestion is that you ignore those stats you have read. As the treatments for LC become more sophisticated they are enjoying improved numbers and those are outdated. While they have not yet developed a targeted therapy for small cell yet there have been some advances in trials.

The husband of one of my coworkers was diagnosed over three years ago. He is doing very well - driving, puttering around the house, babysitting, etc.
  • lovethoscurls
    lovethoscurls Member Posts: 2
    dennycee said:

Lovethoscurls, welcome to
    Lovethoscurls, welcome to the CNS website. Sorry though for the circumstances that bring you. My first suggestion is that you ignore those stats you have read. As the treatments for LC become more sophisticated they are enjoying improved numbers and those are outdated. While they have not yet developed a targeted therapy for small cell yet there have been some advances in trials.

The husband of one of my coworkers was diagnosed over three years ago. He is doing very well - driving, puttering around the house, babysitting, etc.

Thank you for the response.
    Thank you for the response. I really am trying to stay positive, there have just been so many set backs. It is great to hear that there is hope.
  • tdejonge7684
    tdejonge7684 Member Posts: 11
    This site is great for LC
    This site is great for LC related issues but SCLC and NSCLC are very different and I hate seeing one or two replies days apart.

I check this site and the Inspire forums daily. Inspire has separate forums for SCLC and NSCLC.

I would add Inspire to your list of SCLC sites

SCLC Extensive - http://www.inspire.com/groups/lung-cancer-survivors/topics/small-cell-lung-cancer-extensive/

SCLC Limited - http://www.inspire.com/groups/lung-cancer-survivors/topics/small-cell-lung-cancer-limited/

SCLC General - http://www.inspire.com/groups/lung-cancer-survivors/topics/small-cell-lung-cancer-general/
  • Dapsterd
    Dapsterd Member Posts: 291
    Well he has stage 4 now
    He will need a caregiver from here for a year or more no matter if he says he does not ...I know, but he can survive it with help from somebody...at the minimum--emotionally.

Do what you have to do, i made six figures, worked my but off but now not worth it at all

Dave--49 year young -Stage 4 for 2 years plus, there alot more years left for him and me !!!