CA 125 elevated due to endometriosis? - how much?

Options
2»

Comments

• Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Endometriosis

Star 1310,

It's not unusual to have an elevated CA-125 when you have active endometriosis.  How high is normal for an endometriosis patient?  It probably depends on the indivial because CA-125s are not standard across the board.  Edometriosis is an autoimmune condition.  They are also realizing that certain autoimmune conditions, such as endometriosis, increase your risk of cancer.  I had endometriosis 10 years prior to my cancer diagnosis.  Your best bet would be to manage your autoimmune condition and keep yourself as healthy as possible.  There are online groups in forums such as Facebook that can give you advice on this.  

Good luck.

• Melo0576
    Melo0576 Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2019 #23
    Options
    A lesion and complex cysts

A lesion and complex cysts were seen on a CT scan. I had a laparoscopic procedure to remove both fallopian tubes and one ovary due to torsion. A biopsy was also done. Before the surgery my CA125 levels were raised. But the surgeon explained that it’s not an accurate test for cancer because endometriosis, infection or inflammation can raise levels too. This was a week ago and I’m still waiting on a report from their pathologist. All I have been told so far that histiocytes and lymphocytes were seen. Those are white blood cells, right? I guess my body was fighting an infection therefore my CA125 levels were raised? I already experienced thyroid cancer and hopefully ovarian cancer won’t be added to the list. But right now I feel like a carved out pumpkin with all the glands and organs I had removed within 1 year. Are increased histiocytes  lymphocytes indicative of endometriosis or cancer?

• Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Melo0576 said:

A lesion and complex cysts

A lesion and complex cysts were seen on a CT scan. I had a laparoscopic procedure to remove both fallopian tubes and one ovary due to torsion. A biopsy was also done. Before the surgery my CA125 levels were raised. But the surgeon explained that it’s not an accurate test for cancer because endometriosis, infection or inflammation can raise levels too. This was a week ago and I’m still waiting on a report from their pathologist. All I have been told so far that histiocytes and lymphocytes were seen. Those are white blood cells, right? I guess my body was fighting an infection therefore my CA125 levels were raised? I already experienced thyroid cancer and hopefully ovarian cancer won’t be added to the list. But right now I feel like a carved out pumpkin with all the glands and organs I had removed within 1 year. Are increased histiocytes  lymphocytes indicative of endometriosis or cancer?

Histiocytes and Lymphocytes and CA-125

Melo

CA-125 can be elevated due to inflammation and can even be impacted by things like recent dental work.  So, it's very likely that the endometriosis was causing the rise.  The cells you mention are both cells that become elevated when fighting an infection.  It could be that you had some sort of infection or that your body was treating the endometiosis like one.  But they aren't directly related to cancer.  Hopefully the pathology will show the cysts are just endometriosis and nothing serious, but none of your tests are indicating a definite sign of cancer.

• Shari W
    Shari W Member Posts: 1
    Options
    made a mistake
    I posted on the wrong thing. I am sorry and I cant figure out how to delete so did this instead!
    Please disregard!!!! :)