Doctor called said new spot on latest ct scan

Options
Hi all. I havent posted much on here but put my email address out there and have correspondence with some of you who had questions about your upcoming jaw replacement surgery. I had mine june 2011. All my ct scans every 3 months since surgery have been clear until last friday. My surgeon at md anderson says i have a new spot that is either infection, ive had cellulitis on face twice, or its a new tumor. I have a pet scan scheduled for tuesdayand the doc is hoping it will show clearer whether its an infection or tumor. She will then decide about another biopsy however whatever it is its under he facial muscle and not esily assesable for a biopsy. Ok i guess my question is any thoughts out here on a pet scan being able to differentiate between an infection or tumor? Also ive had the cellulitis since june 15, 2012. My scar under chin has been red constantly since june 15. They put me on antibiotics twice, pain in jaw went away but now the spoy on ct scan is right where the pain was. Ive had total lack of energy, i mean its almost too much work to breathe, so unlike me. But that can also be a sign of infection not jyst cancer, right?

Comments

  • Tim6003
    Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Not able to help on this one ..
    ..but I'm sure someone will come along. I do know energy / thyroid can be closely related...

    Whispered a prayer it's an infection before I hit the post button... keep us posted.

    Tim
  • Tim6003
    Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Not able to help on this one ..
    ..but I'm sure someone will come along. I do know energy / thyroid can be closely related...

    Whispered a prayer it's an infection before I hit the post button... keep us posted.

    Tim
  • Debi16043
    Debi16043 Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Tim6003 said:

    Not able to help on this one ..
    ..but I'm sure someone will come along. I do know energy / thyroid can be closely related...

    Whispered a prayer it's an infection before I hit the post button... keep us posted.

    Tim

    Thanks tim. Im hoping its
    Thanks tim. Im hoping its an infection also.
  • Hard12Find
    Hard12Find Member Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Sorry
    Sorry to hear that, praying for no more cancer for you., and healing from the treatment. I can't imagine the stress of hearing that news and waiting for a scan. Pretty sad bunch we are when we hope it's only an infection......
    Jim
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options
    No Knowledge/Experience with Cellulitis
    But I do know that I'm often worn out when I have an infection. Hope that's your issue, and that it's quickly dealt with.
  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,723 Member
    Options
    think positive
    Debi16043,

    It most certainly can be infection, which is what your doctor said. I am praying the scan leans in your favor. You’ve been doing so well, let’s hope this is just a hick-up.

    Best,

    Matt
  • Debi16043
    Debi16043 Member Posts: 53
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

    think positive
    Debi16043,

    It most certainly can be infection, which is what your doctor said. I am praying the scan leans in your favor. You’ve been doing so well, let’s hope this is just a hick-up.

    Best,

    Matt

    Pet scan
    Had my pet scan md anderson yesterday but the doctor said she still cant tell if its infection or tumor. Ordered a ct scan biopsy the 2cm spot is between masseter muscle and the jaw bone. Anyone know how painful this type biopsy is? Also she did say the pet scan lit up but not as bright as she would have thought is that leaning more towards infection or tumor?
  • Tim6003
    Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Debi16043 said:

    Pet scan
    Had my pet scan md anderson yesterday but the doctor said she still cant tell if its infection or tumor. Ordered a ct scan biopsy the 2cm spot is between masseter muscle and the jaw bone. Anyone know how painful this type biopsy is? Also she did say the pet scan lit up but not as bright as she would have thought is that leaning more towards infection or tumor?

    Hi Deb..
    Again, don't know, can't help on this one. Hope this does not sound flip ...but hey, PET not conclusive or bright as she thought seems to be leaning to good in my book.. I'm no doctor, but I can think positive and whisper another prayer can't I :)

    Keep us posted,

    Tim

    I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be by soon......
  • nick770
    nick770 Member Posts: 195
    Options
    Debi16043 said:

    Pet scan
    Had my pet scan md anderson yesterday but the doctor said she still cant tell if its infection or tumor. Ordered a ct scan biopsy the 2cm spot is between masseter muscle and the jaw bone. Anyone know how painful this type biopsy is? Also she did say the pet scan lit up but not as bright as she would have thought is that leaning more towards infection or tumor?

    Oh Debi here is hoping for
    Oh Debi here is hoping for it to be just an infection i remember whe i got my infection i was extremely fatigued. I can't say how painful the biopsy will be but my that biopsy was too bad. But I have a lung one coming up next week so I hoping it will not be painful. Best of everything and i hope your results are good
  • Debi16043
    Debi16043 Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Tim6003 said:

    Hi Deb..
    Again, don't know, can't help on this one. Hope this does not sound flip ...but hey, PET not conclusive or bright as she thought seems to be leaning to good in my book.. I'm no doctor, but I can think positive and whisper another prayer can't I :)

    Keep us posted,

    Tim

    I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be by soon......

    Thanks guys i appreciate
    Thanks guys i appreciate feed back.
  • Debi16043
    Debi16043 Member Posts: 53
    Options
    nick770 said:

    Oh Debi here is hoping for
    Oh Debi here is hoping for it to be just an infection i remember whe i got my infection i was extremely fatigued. I can't say how painful the biopsy will be but my that biopsy was too bad. But I have a lung one coming up next week so I hoping it will not be painful. Best of everything and i hope your results are good

    Lung biopsy
    Hi nick. Sorry but i dont check this blog daily. Thanks for your concern i hope its an infection or scar tissue but i pray for strength.

    Have you had your lung biopsy yet?