9 weeks out tomorrow

Options
I will be 9weeks post rads tomorrow and 11 weeks post erbitux. I was feeling pretty good, of course I'd tire easily and my throat is still sore. No peg anymore so eating is all done by mouth. All along I've noticed a little cough and assumed it was all part of the healing. Then 2 days ago I started feeling really achy, especially in my neck and shoulder and chest area. I have no energy and just want to lay around. No fever but the chills come and go. Has anyone else had these symptoms or is it just me? I've tried very hard to avoid sickly situations so I just don't know. Maybe I'm just fighting something or maybe it's something else, worries me a bit. Let me know what you think, thanks.
Billie

Comments

  • Sam999
    Sam999 Member Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Billie,
    I am 8 weeks out of

    Billie,

    I am 8 weeks out of rads. I am feeling my neck disection area a bit tight and have to do neck excercises but it does not hurt. Your comment about no energy does not seems rigth, it might be best to check with doc. I do feel chilly all the time and need to wear a sweater when my family is in shorts.

    My energy level is still low but it is improving every day. I am able to go out for 3-4 hours. I also do have cough due to dry throat.

    Sam
  • Mrs. Sarge
    Mrs. Sarge Member Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'd get checked
    Just to be safe. Also, I was wondering if your CA was of the vocal cords or where? If you don't mind telling. Sounds like your DX was similar to mine, just curious. Hoping for the best for you!!

    BTW, sounds like the flu or something!
  • Billie67
    Billie67 Member Posts: 898
    Options

    I'd get checked
    Just to be safe. Also, I was wondering if your CA was of the vocal cords or where? If you don't mind telling. Sounds like your DX was similar to mine, just curious. Hoping for the best for you!!

    BTW, sounds like the flu or something!

    Mrs Sarge
    Yes mine is vocal cords. Also a tumor deep in the area behind the cords, CT picked it up.
    I hope it's just the flu
    Billie
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Thyroid...
    It's probably a little early for signs of damage to the thyroid. But regulating body temperature seems related to the thyroid, as well as fatique.

    Many here have had chills early on as well as post Tx, especially having had the rads slamming you.

    But being this early out, fatigue could just be part of the process your body is trying to go through with healing and recovery...

    JG
  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,723 Member
    Options
    we could write a book
    Hi Billie,

    I too belong to the Erbitux clan.

    I often feel tired and I tucker out early, but I am getting better. I think my condition is partially related to nutrition and the rest to treatments. I have a few aches and pains, but nothing major. I sleep great, but could take a nap right now.

    My radiation onc told me about all sorts of things radiation can do to the neck, I try to pretend I am not going to get many side effects, but between swallowing, spitting and neck turning I don’t think I completely dodged that bullet.

    Good luck figuring your self out, I think that is something we all have to do. Remember to call the doctor if you think it is serious.

    Best,

    Matt
  • Billie67
    Billie67 Member Posts: 898
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

    we could write a book
    Hi Billie,

    I too belong to the Erbitux clan.

    I often feel tired and I tucker out early, but I am getting better. I think my condition is partially related to nutrition and the rest to treatments. I have a few aches and pains, but nothing major. I sleep great, but could take a nap right now.

    My radiation onc told me about all sorts of things radiation can do to the neck, I try to pretend I am not going to get many side effects, but between swallowing, spitting and neck turning I don’t think I completely dodged that bullet.

    Good luck figuring your self out, I think that is something we all have to do. Remember to call the doctor if you think it is serious.

    Best,

    Matt

    Thanks Matt
    I think in the back of my head I'm a little nervous about the cough. I keep hearing that if the CA were to travel it would go to the lungs. But then with the achy and tired thing I tend to think not so much lungs but just side effects from treatment but, the chills??? Who knows. I think I'll call my dr tomorrow. Now to decide which one to call rad onc, med onc or primary dr? Nothing is straight forward anymore for us is it?
    I think I'll have more peace once I get my PET/CT in about 4 weeks.

    Oh by the way Matt, I got my Xylimelts in the mail today. I'll let you know how they work....fingers crossed!

    Thanks again,
    Billie
  • alaskanjan
    alaskanjan Member Posts: 42
    Options
    ? Virus
    Even though you have just been treated for cancer I believe it is still possible for you to catch an ordinary virus. By all means have any one of your docs check you out. Hope all turns out well. Jan
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Again....
    The symptoms you describe could be thyroid related...easily and commonly damaged from the radiation.

    Have they been monitoring your TSH and Free T4 levels when doing your routine blood labs?

    As mentioned though it coul be pretty much anything. If you feel that you need a confidense booster, communicate with your MD's and have them check you out.

    Always better to be pro-active versus re-active.

    Best,
    John
  • Billie67
    Billie67 Member Posts: 898
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

    Again....
    The symptoms you describe could be thyroid related...easily and commonly damaged from the radiation.

    Have they been monitoring your TSH and Free T4 levels when doing your routine blood labs?

    As mentioned though it coul be pretty much anything. If you feel that you need a confidense booster, communicate with your MD's and have them check you out.

    Always better to be pro-active versus re-active.

    Best,
    John

    Thanks
    I'm going to call them on Monday and ask about my thyroid and see what they say. I hope it's not that and that it is something simple but I can't stop my mind from running so it's best I just make the call. Would the thyroid thing cause nausea too? Is now the time that it's acceptable to lay on the ground kicking and screaming while yelling out "it's not fair"? Kidding of course ;-)
    billie
  • George_Baltimore
    George_Baltimore Member Posts: 303
    Options
    Billie67 said:

    Thanks
    I'm going to call them on Monday and ask about my thyroid and see what they say. I hope it's not that and that it is something simple but I can't stop my mind from running so it's best I just make the call. Would the thyroid thing cause nausea too? Is now the time that it's acceptable to lay on the ground kicking and screaming while yelling out "it's not fair"? Kidding of course ;-)
    billie

    Hypothyroidism
    Hypothyroidism is adjusted just by taking a very small, inexpensive pill once a day so don't worry too much about it being the thyroid.