This is not my idea of living.

Options
2»

Comments

• Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

I got mouth sores and
    I got mouth sores and terrible bone and joint pain with chemo. After my first neulasta shot after my first chemo, i developed excruciating pain. Dr prescribed vicodin and then a few days later Percocet, and I was on that the entire time i was having chemo. With the mouth sores, I got a prescription for Mary's Magic Mouthwash (or something like that) which helped, I drank alot of hot tea, and i ate ALOT of popsicles. Not ice cream - that tasted funny - but just the icy pop (the ones that when not frozen look like tubes of kool-aid) ones. I could barely taste them anyway, but they helped soothe my throat. Hang in there. Chemo was the hardest thing i've ever done in my life. Tell your Dr or nurse about your pain, they can help you manage it.
    hugs
    heather

Sending lots of hugs to you
    Sending lots of hugs to you today!
  • GMcD
    GMcD Member Posts: 134
    Options
    Angie2U said:

Sending lots of hugs to you
    Sending lots of hugs to you today!

So sorry to reaad that you
    So sorry to reaad that you are so under the weather. As said before, please hang in, we all know it's hard but we will push through with you. Magic Mouthwash is a good thing for sore tongues and mouths, I also found it seemed to help my taste bud issues also. I am a pharmacy tech and we make it up often. It is made of benadryl, lidocaine and a liquid stomach antacid. The reason you nedd a prescription is because lidocaine is only dispensed by prescription. Please take it easy and by all means, come here to complain anytime you need.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    GMcD said:

So sorry to reaad that you
    So sorry to reaad that you are so under the weather. As said before, please hang in, we all know it's hard but we will push through with you. Magic Mouthwash is a good thing for sore tongues and mouths, I also found it seemed to help my taste bud issues also. I am a pharmacy tech and we make it up often. It is made of benadryl, lidocaine and a liquid stomach antacid. The reason you nedd a prescription is because lidocaine is only dispensed by prescription. Please take it easy and by all means, come here to complain anytime you need.

Jamie--how are you doing today?
    I've been thinking about you, hoping you're doing a little better with some of the suggestions offered. Just wanted you to know, you're on my nightly prayer list and I'm sending a ton of positive energy your way for strength and comfort.

Hugs, Renee
  • jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    Options
    missrenee said:

Jamie--how are you doing today?
    I've been thinking about you, hoping you're doing a little better with some of the suggestions offered. Just wanted you to know, you're on my nightly prayer list and I'm sending a ton of positive energy your way for strength and comfort.

Hugs, Renee

Thank you Renee and all of you who have offered advice.
    I still feel more dead than alive. I think the thrush is better because I spent all of Wednesday morning at the cancer center and left there with a prescription for a triple rinse which sounds like that "magic mouthwash" and also diflucan. I just got in my car and drove, not knowing if I was going to the emergency room or the cancer center. My onc wasn't there that day but the chemo nurse communicated with her through email and my bloodwork wasn't way off so I don't understand why I am feeling sooooooooo bad. The onc instructed me to continue with the Xeloda and the anti-depressant. I do not look forward to seeing her again because I will not take the anti-depressant and I decided to stop taking the Xeloda at least until I feel better. Why would I continue taking a poison when I already feel like I'm dieing??? All that comes into my mind right now is "we cured the cancer but the patient died". Oh shoot......I had to go throw up again! That's the third time since 1:30 this morning. I can't eat or drink anything so I don't know why I can't kick this nausea crap. If I don't at least lose 20 pounds from this mess, I will be sooooooooo mad! I guess I need to go buy me some of those popsicles Heatherbelle mentioned. Hopefully I will have better news the next time I log on.

HUGS!!!
    Jamie
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    jamiegww said:

I still feel more dead than alive. I think the thrush is better because I spent all of Wednesday morning at the cancer center and left there with a prescription for a triple rinse which sounds like that "magic mouthwash" and also diflucan. I just got in my car and drove, not knowing if I was going to the emergency room or the cancer center. My onc wasn't there that day but the chemo nurse communicated with her through email and my bloodwork wasn't way off so I don't understand why I am feeling sooooooooo bad. The onc instructed me to continue with the Xeloda and the anti-depressant. I do not look forward to seeing her again because I will not take the anti-depressant and I decided to stop taking the Xeloda at least until I feel better. Why would I continue taking a poison when I already feel like I'm dieing??? All that comes into my mind right now is "we cured the cancer but the patient died". Oh shoot......I had to go throw up again! That's the third time since 1:30 this morning. I can't eat or drink anything so I don't know why I can't kick this nausea crap. If I don't at least lose 20 pounds from this mess, I will be sooooooooo mad! I guess I need to go buy me some of those popsicles Heatherbelle mentioned. Hopefully I will have better news the next time I log on.

HUGS!!!
    Jamie

Anti Nausea Meds?
    Oh Jamie,

My heart breaks for you. I have never been an anti-depressant person either. Though I do know that some people really need to use them.

Your taking this stuff because it will kill the malignant cells, right?

Now that you have your "magic mouthwash" that will control your thrush, your problem is vomiting and nausea? Did they give you anti-nausea medication?

My body doesn't do well with anti-nausea medication in fact they make me even sicker. I have tried them all. When I was in the hospital last spring and on the 3rd day vomiting (hadn't eaten anything in all that time). My primary told me they tried benadryl. It is an over-the-counter drug that people use in order not to have motion sickness on cruise ships or planes. You might try it. Might work. If you don't have a prescription for anti-nausea medication, might ask your cancer nurse to order something better than benadryl. Sucking on ice chips might work.

I do hope you feel better soon.

Doris
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Jamie,
    Please talk to you

Jamie,
    Please talk to you doctor more. They may be able to give you meds to help with the side effects. They may also become less severe as time goes on. Also, take advantage of all the knowledge here. Sometimes docs don't have the same experience and there is a wealth of information here.
    If nothing else, try the antidepressant for a bit. That may help too. When you make the decision to fight, you will find the strength! This is a tough road, cancer sucks. You are not alone in you journey though.

Cindy
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    jamiegww said:

HUGS!!!
    Jamie

Sending you hugs, prayers
    Sending you hugs, prayers and positive thoughts Jamie. I pray you will feel better.

Hugs, Jan
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Pam5 said:

Jamie
    I too am so sorry you have to go through this. Of course you can dump your troubles here! That's one of the reasons we're here. The Nystatin will help. It certainly helped me - a lot. As I recall, it took a few days. Also, I started keeping crushed ice in my mouth during chemo. That kept my mouth pretty clear.

Pam

Praying for you Jamie.
    Lots

Praying for you Jamie.

Lots of hugs,

Megan
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    mamolady said:

Jamie,
    Please talk to you

Jamie,
    Please talk to you doctor more. They may be able to give you meds to help with the side effects. They may also become less severe as time goes on. Also, take advantage of all the knowledge here. Sometimes docs don't have the same experience and there is a wealth of information here.
    If nothing else, try the antidepressant for a bit. That may help too. When you make the decision to fight, you will find the strength! This is a tough road, cancer sucks. You are not alone in you journey though.

Cindy

Just a thought - ok two
    Jamie-
    Wish I knew the solution for your side effects, but I was just thinking - if you stop the Xeloda and you start to feel better, how will you know if it was stopping the Xeloda that made you feel better, clearing up the thrush that made you feel better, or simply the passage of time since your last infusion? What you will know if you continue the Xeloda and start to feel better is that it wasn't the Xeloda that was making you feel bad.

And, about the antidepressant - that can make a huge difference. It's hard to "swallow" for so many of us, but please think seriously about it. Anything that will help get you through this time is important. I took an antidepressant for years (Wellbutrin). Still am not convinced I needed it, but I did not stop taking it while I was in treatment. Whether it made a difference or not I don't know, but maybe it did. Oh, heck yes, I still had emotional issues, but I was not a puddle on the floor. You want to be able to function emotionally as well as physically through this journey and one certainly effects the other.

After my thoughts, I want you to know that I sincerely support any decision you make. This are simply what they are, thoughts, not advice or judgement. Talking/thinking points.

Hugs,
    Suzanne