New to board

Goody100
Goody100 Member Posts: 8
Hello all, was looking for a support network online and was pleased to see this webpage. Was diagnosed in early July with Breast cancer and having a double masectomy later this week. Just looking for help in answering questions during my recovery and reconstruction phase. Looking forward to talking with all of you.

Lisa

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Just a few tips that I've passed along in the past ...

.take pain medication when necessary.
    .Multiple pillows in various, sizes help with sleeping on your back.
    some sisters find it more comfortable to sleep in a recylinder
    .Ask RN and staff 'how to milk' your drains
    .Purchase over sized button up Tee's, or Tank tops. There
    are mastectomy camisoles available ..

www.tlcdirect.org/Mastectomy-Camisoles-And-Tank-Tops-Breast-Ca... or

www.cancerandcareers.org/
    Comfortable clothing tips for
    before and after your mastectomy

Please move cups, saucers, plates at arm level - as well as re-arranging your fridge for more commonly used items at arm levels. Tide/Downy small container sizes - also at arm level. Reaching up and grabbing heavy items -- will tear your stitches, as well as hurt your arms. Muscles and tissue in breast, as well as arm areas will be cut, moved and sewn back together.

I tried to take a bath ..but hence could not pull myself out of the our spa tub, no muscles or strength in my arms after bilateral mastectomy.. It took my husband, and daughter some time to pull me out of the tub == without hurting me. Not a pretty time, or sight to say the least. So I opted to shower ...My husband removed our shower head, and replaced it with a flex hose type so I could shower maneuvering the flex hose from waist down, as well as place shower water under my arms.

Lastly, please make sure you do your exercises as prescribed by Plastic Surgeon, and Physical Therapist.

Strength, Courage, Hope and Speedy recovery.

Vicki Sam
  • Jobi
    Jobi Member Posts: 211
    Welcome to the Site
    I am so glad you found us. I have a right breast mastectomy in Dec, and the site has been a blessing. Vicki Sam, who is wonderful, gave you all the right tips. I would like to add that eventhough this will be an emotional time for you, allow yourself to be cared for. Sometimes, that is the hardest thing. Also, listen to your body. It is the best thing you can do for healing.

Take care. We are sending prayers your way.

Dorene
  • Goody100
    VickiSam said:

Just a few tips that I've passed along in the past ...

.take pain medication when necessary.
    .Multiple pillows in various, sizes help with sleeping on your back.
    some sisters find it more comfortable to sleep in a recylinder
    .Ask RN and staff 'how to milk' your drains
    .Purchase over sized button up Tee's, or Tank tops. There
    are mastectomy camisoles available ..

www.tlcdirect.org/Mastectomy-Camisoles-And-Tank-Tops-Breast-Ca... or

www.cancerandcareers.org/
    Comfortable clothing tips for
    before and after your mastectomy

Please move cups, saucers, plates at arm level - as well as re-arranging your fridge for more commonly used items at arm levels. Tide/Downy small container sizes - also at arm level. Reaching up and grabbing heavy items -- will tear your stitches, as well as hurt your arms. Muscles and tissue in breast, as well as arm areas will be cut, moved and sewn back together.

I tried to take a bath ..but hence could not pull myself out of the our spa tub, no muscles or strength in my arms after bilateral mastectomy.. It took my husband, and daughter some time to pull me out of the tub == without hurting me. Not a pretty time, or sight to say the least. So I opted to shower ...My husband removed our shower head, and replaced it with a flex hose type so I could shower maneuvering the flex hose from waist down, as well as place shower water under my arms.

Lastly, please make sure you do your exercises as prescribed by Plastic Surgeon, and Physical Therapist.

Strength, Courage, Hope and Speedy recovery.

Vicki Sam

Thanks
    Vicki-
    Thanks so much for all the great advise, please feel free to pass on anyting that you may find helpful. My mother, and two two sisters have also had breast cancer and two of the three have died from it. That's why I opted for the double. I'm 46 and though, not a spring chicken, have lots of living to do! I love the advise and will forward to hearing more.

Thanks again

Lisa
  • Goody100
    Jobi said:

Welcome to the Site
    I am so glad you found us. I have a right breast mastectomy in Dec, and the site has been a blessing. Vicki Sam, who is wonderful, gave you all the right tips. I would like to add that eventhough this will be an emotional time for you, allow yourself to be cared for. Sometimes, that is the hardest thing. Also, listen to your body. It is the best thing you can do for healing.

Take care. We are sending prayers your way.

Dorene

Cared for
    As a strong willed women I think that will be my hardest part. I don't think that I have ever asked for help. I know that this will be a much needed part of my process and I'm already trying to take baby steps. I knew right away that this site would be fantastic both for information and support.

Thanks for any help and support.

Lisa
  • AnnieTherese
    AnnieTherese Member Posts: 67
    Goody100 said:

Cared for
    As a strong willed women I think that will be my hardest part. I don't think that I have ever asked for help. I know that this will be a much needed part of my process and I'm already trying to take baby steps. I knew right away that this site would be fantastic both for information and support.

Lisa

This site
    This site is...amazing...I've only been here about a week and the love that comes from these ladies...or...pink sisters...as they call themselves...is fantastic. You can ask them ANYTHING..and all you'll get is love and great support and advice in return. Just be gentle with yourself and know that there are many here who have experienced what you are going through and who really want to help and encourage you.

Love, Annie xxx
  • salls41
    salls41 Member Posts: 340
    Goody100 said:

Cared for

Lisa

Welcome Lisa, sorry you are here
    I hate to see new members come, but I am so happy that you found us! I had my bilateral mastectomy in May and am currently dealing with expanders in the reconstruction phase of this adventure. I will exchange for implants in September. There isn't much advice I might offer that you wren't offered already! Great site isn't it? I will tell you for me, there was very little pain involved, the drains were the biggest pain in the butt, but they eventually come out, I had one for 6 weeks! The fear of the unknown is worse than what actually is.. the hard part was seeing myself after my shower for the first time. But, I got over it too! I accepted myself and decided to wear my scars proudly, aagin it was the drains hanging out more than the surgery that actually bugged me!
    Good luck and prayers and positive thoughts for you!
    Sandy
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Welcome Lisa,
    I hope you

Welcome Lisa,

I hope you find us as helpful as I have. The support and love here has kept me sane on my journey.

My bilateral was Jan 2011, no reconstruction, left(cancer side) axilla dissection. I agree with all of Vickisam's tips. Here's the story I always share...

After surgery, the first trip to the bathroom I was a little wobbly on my legs. So as I'm ready to lower myself to the toilet, I held on to the rail attached to the wall with my left arm cancer side). Because I was holding the rail, it moved my arm in a way it shouldn't have gone right after surgery...the pain was incredibly intense. DON'T DO THAT!!! I ended up staying an extra night to get the pain in my arm under control.

You'll have drains after surgery, they help to remove fluids. They are annoying and will need daily maintenance. My husband helped me with them for a week or so, and then I was able to manage them myself.

I slept in bed with a wedge pillow and several other smaller pillows of various sizes to support my arms. Use your tummy muscles or get help to get out of bed. Others have slept in a recliner.

I hope this helps you. Please keep coming back and let us know how you're doing.

Hugs,

Linda
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    Goody100 said:

Cared for

Lisa

Hi Lisa sorry you had to
    Hi Lisa sorry you had to find us but glad your hear.I had a bil mastectomy July 9 2010 with no reconstruction.Make sure you have some one to go to all your Dr. appt.with you as it can get over whelming they can take notes for you as there is a lot of info to remember.We are all strong willed women we have to be to put up with what we do to survive,so that is the first thing is ask for Help.Just post your questions as you think of them also wright them down to take to your Dr.as your treatment will depend on you and your onc.just remember you are the one in charge of your health.
    Hugs Frankie
  • Pam5
    Pam5 Member Posts: 232

Welcome Lisa,
    I hope you

Welcome Lisa,

I hope you find us as helpful as I have. The support and love here has kept me sane on my journey.

My bilateral was Jan 2011, no reconstruction, left(cancer side) axilla dissection. I agree with all of Vickisam's tips. Here's the story I always share...

After surgery, the first trip to the bathroom I was a little wobbly on my legs. So as I'm ready to lower myself to the toilet, I held on to the rail attached to the wall with my left arm cancer side). Because I was holding the rail, it moved my arm in a way it shouldn't have gone right after surgery...the pain was incredibly intense. DON'T DO THAT!!! I ended up staying an extra night to get the pain in my arm under control.

You'll have drains after surgery, they help to remove fluids. They are annoying and will need daily maintenance. My husband helped me with them for a week or so, and then I was able to manage them myself.

I slept in bed with a wedge pillow and several other smaller pillows of various sizes to support my arms. Use your tummy muscles or get help to get out of bed. Others have slept in a recliner.

I hope this helps you. Please keep coming back and let us know how you're doing.

Hugs,

Linda

Hi Lisa

As everyone has said, this is an amazing site. Vickisam's advice is absolutely right-on. All her suggestions will make your life a whole lot easier. These ladies are truly amazing and kind. They really helped me through my mastectomy this past March and my recovery. Know that everyone here is pulling for you and you are in our prayers.

Hugs

Pam
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Hi Lisa,
    I'm glad you found

Hi Lisa,
    I'm glad you found this site. But sorry you needed it. You will find the most thoughtful caring compassionate ladies and gentlemen on this site. I too found it not long after I was Dx in 2010. And I can tell you it has been a life saver for me. You can get your questions answered any time.. And we will all be with you all the way through your journey. Here to help, listen, comfort, You will go through a range of emotions. Try to stay calm and read old post it helped me. I learned things that didn't scare me when they happened. Come on any time you have just been adopted by about 10,000 sisters. Can you say Christmas list LOL. We are with you all the way Darlin Take care Kay,