Breast Cancer- from good- to worse- hopeless

Hello everyone,

Its been a very long time since I have logged on. I am the proud daughter of Rosa Flores- breast cancer patient.

I write here in hopes to find hope, faith, encouragement.

My mom was clean of cancer 3 months ago. Yesterday- we found out her cancer has spread to all her chest, left hip, lungs,and little in her liver- darn metatisic cancer!!

Well- we cried all night- she starts chemo Monday.

Please- anyone who has gone through something like this- how do you survive it.

I'm not ready to let go of my mom. She is at MD Anderson in Houston. Can people just live like this- as long as they do chemo?

The duaghter.

Comments

• LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    I remember you.
    I'm so sorry to learn about this news. There are some ladies here living with stage 4 who will be able to share some words based on their experiences. I want to wish your mom good luck with the new plan her Dr. has set up for her. I really pray this works. I know many people live with stage 4 for years...and sometimes they can go on remission. I personally have a friend whose mom's cancer metastasized to her liver and only had 10% chance of survival. They gave her a few months to live - this was over 5 years ago and she has been on remission ever since. Miracles are possible and I believe in them. I hope you do too.

Praying strong for your mama. Hang in there!
  • the daughter
    the daughter Member Posts: 33

I remember you.
    I'm so sorry to learn about this news. There are some ladies here living with stage 4 who will be able to share some words based on their experiences. I want to wish your mom good luck with the new plan her Dr. has set up for her. I really pray this works. I know many people live with stage 4 for years...and sometimes they can go on remission. I personally have a friend whose mom's cancer metastasized to her liver and only had 10% chance of survival. They gave her a few months to live - this was over 5 years ago and she has been on remission ever since. Miracles are possible and I believe in them. I hope you do too.

Praying strong for your mama. Hang in there!

thank you so much!!!! I do
    thank you so much!!!! I do believe in miracles- although yesterday I was just mad at the world. But God will pull her through..... if its in his will to do so.
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Lots of Hope...
    The Rosa's daughter,

Your mother is just starting to fight this disease and there is a lot of hope. The one fact about breast cancer we know is that there are no guarantees that it won't return as it did for your mother.

I don't know the specifics of your mother's breast cancer situation but many of us have had widespread mets and have done well. We learn to live with it. MD Anderson is from what I read a great institution for breast cancer. I have read many, many post from women with bc mets who have and are going to this cancer center.

I am certain that you will be a great support to your mother while she is doing her treatments which she will need. This is a great discussion board to learn specifics about this awful disease.

Keep us updated. Wishing you and your mother the best,

Doris
  • the daughter
    SIROD said:

Lots of Hope...
    The Rosa's daughter,

Your mother is just starting to fight this disease and there is a lot of hope. The one fact about breast cancer we know is that there are no guarantees that it won't return as it did for your mother.

I don't know the specifics of your mother's breast cancer situation but many of us have had widespread mets and have done well. We learn to live with it. MD Anderson is from what I read a great institution for breast cancer. I have read many, many post from women with bc mets who have and are going to this cancer center.

I am certain that you will be a great support to your mother while she is doing her treatments which she will need. This is a great discussion board to learn specifics about this awful disease.

Keep us updated. Wishing you and your mother the best,

Doris

you give me hope
    you give me hope- thank you
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member

you give me hope
    you give me hope- thank you

It...
    It sounds like a desperate situation, right now, because it's all new again...that she is starting chemo quickly, that's a good thing...it's not an automatic death sentence... I'll be treated as a chronic disease..I'm dealing with that right now and doing well.....I know you're scared....and you sound like a wonderful daughter.....you've been through this with your Mom before, you can do it again....we all find we are stronger than we know..you'll find that strength again and so will your Mom..there is ALWAYS hope...never give up!

Wishing you both the best!
    Hugs, Nancy
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    It sounds like this stage IV
    It sounds like this stage IV mets stuff is still very new. Like the original dx, it takes some time to adjust. Give yourself the gift of that time. Also know that there are some very good drugs for treating mets, along with many options. MD Anderson is highly respected, I would think you'd get high quality care there. And it's good that she's starting chemo quickly.

As for how do you get through something like this...you get through it the same way you got through the original cancer. One day (sometimes an hour or a few minutes) at a time. Remember to take care of yourself too, it will make it easier for you to be there for your mom and to face this with her again.

Please come back and let us know how you and your mom are doing.

Hugs,

Linda
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Never, Never get hopeless. I
    Never, Never get hopeless. I just found out I have Mets to my lungs and back. My original Dr wasn't moving very fast with test or treatments and I wound up in the ER because I couldn't breath any more. My lungs were 60% blocked. Well I met my new Dr, at the Hospital. I am oxygen dependent right now but I certainly though I was a goner that night and that happened twice. I have got back into treatment (chemo) and am starting to see some improvement. Plus the first week I had chemo and was the hardest to breath I caught the stomach flu. I really didn't expect to survive. My Dr told me that without treatment I wouldn't not have lived another 2 weeks. But I am still here and am improving I will beat this again. There are a lot of ladies on here that have had it allot worse then me and are still here. Never get hopeless Darlin, Stay strong for your Mom, and your self. She will beat this again she can do it and you can help her do it. Stay positive and know you are in my prayers and thoughts. We are all here for you. Take care Darlin Kay
  • the daughter

Never, Never get hopeless. I
    Never, Never get hopeless. I just found out I have Mets to my lungs and back. My original Dr wasn't moving very fast with test or treatments and I wound up in the ER because I couldn't breath any more. My lungs were 60% blocked. Well I met my new Dr, at the Hospital. I am oxygen dependent right now but I certainly though I was a goner that night and that happened twice. I have got back into treatment (chemo) and am starting to see some improvement. Plus the first week I had chemo and was the hardest to breath I caught the stomach flu. I really didn't expect to survive. My Dr told me that without treatment I wouldn't not have lived another 2 weeks. But I am still here and am improving I will beat this again. There are a lot of ladies on here that have had it allot worse then me and are still here. Never get hopeless Darlin, Stay strong for your Mom, and your self. She will beat this again she can do it and you can help her do it. Stay positive and know you are in my prayers and thoughts. We are all here for you. Take care Darlin Kay

thank you so much for your
    thank you so much for your kind words. You and ever other lady on here have earned gold homes next to Jesus in heaven one day. I cant imagine what you went through and it does give me hope. My mom had a bad cough for two months- we kept thinking it was neumonia- bronkitis but obvioulsy we found out two days ago that it was cancer in her lungs.

I wish my mom could meet all of you- I wish she could sit and talk to you- she is a SPanish speajer unfortuantly- all I can do is relay the stories- but that helps. If anyone who went thru this is in Houston- please let me know. I would love to visit you with my mom and translate your story to her. She knows noone else with cancer- and its hard to share hope with her.

Love you all
  • the daughter

thank you so much for your
    thank you so much for your kind words. You and ever other lady on here have earned gold homes next to Jesus in heaven one day. I cant imagine what you went through and it does give me hope. My mom had a bad cough for two months- we kept thinking it was neumonia- bronkitis but obvioulsy we found out two days ago that it was cancer in her lungs.

I wish my mom could meet all of you- I wish she could sit and talk to you- she is a SPanish speajer unfortuantly- all I can do is relay the stories- but that helps. If anyone who went thru this is in Houston- please let me know. I would love to visit you with my mom and translate your story to her. She knows noone else with cancer- and its hard to share hope with her.

Love you all

wish I had the time
    I wish I had the time to take all of these real life stories- bring them together in a book- then give them to cancer patients- maybe sell them- where all the profit would go back to Cancer society or something similiar.

The world needs to hear your testimonies- they are amazing and humbling.

The daughter
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member

wish I had the time
    I wish I had the time to take all of these real life stories- bring them together in a book- then give them to cancer patients- maybe sell them- where all the profit would go back to Cancer society or something similiar.

The world needs to hear your testimonies- they are amazing and humbling.

The daughter

I wish the very best
    I wish the very best for your mom.I had Stage 0 but some on here who've had their cancer spread are doing fine.It's upsetting but many times the chemo kicks in and they are in remission again.I'm sure it was a shock to hear this news but believe in Miracles.She is at a good treatment center like others have said.

A friend of mine was Stage 4 in the beginning. She had 15 lymph nodes involved.She lived 13 years.She passed in 2010.Her twin sister was going to donate her bone marrow but she was never strong enough to receive it.There was hope but she was not healthy enough. She fought a good fight for 3 years. Then passed.

Thoughts and Prayers for you,your mom and family.

Lynn Smith