OT~~popcorn

Gabe N Abby Mom
Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
A family friend showed me a frugal healthier way to make popcorn...

Instead of buying microwave popcorn bags she makes her own. Take a brown paper bag (the old fashioned kind like you used to use for lunch). And two small handfuls of popcorn, no oil, and tape closed. Regular scotch tape works. Use the regular popcorn setting on your microwave, or listen for it to stop popping for 3-5 seconds. Open carefully, it's hot and steamy. Add your own toppings and enjoy!

Hugs,

Linda

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Right on, Linda!
    I've heard about this method before, but haven't tried it -- at our house, we do the (really old-fashioned) put-it-in-a-pot-on-the-stove-and-shake-it method. Anybody else learn how to do that from your grandmothers, like we did?

Once we started making popcorn this way, nobody in the family (including our teenagers) wants to go back to microwave popcorn. The list of unpronounceable chemicals on a bag of microwave popcorn is kind of mind-boggling -- I'm only halfway kidding when I say someday they're going to prove all those chemicals cause cancer.

And popcorn is a whole grain, with lots of fiber -- so it's good for me, right? Even with all that butter I put on it, right?

Riiiiight?

:-) Traci
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Right on, Linda!
    I've heard about this method before, but haven't tried it -- at our house, we do the (really old-fashioned) put-it-in-a-pot-on-the-stove-and-shake-it method. Anybody else learn how to do that from your grandmothers, like we did?

Once we started making popcorn this way, nobody in the family (including our teenagers) wants to go back to microwave popcorn. The list of unpronounceable chemicals on a bag of microwave popcorn is kind of mind-boggling -- I'm only halfway kidding when I say someday they're going to prove all those chemicals cause cancer.

And popcorn is a whole grain, with lots of fiber -- so it's good for me, right? Even with all that butter I put on it, right?

Riiiiight?

Popcorn..
    I'm going to try this as popcorn is one of the things I can eat and taste.....Thanks Linda...and Traci butter is good for you....lol.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Love this!
    I'm going to give this a try ,thanks Linda!

Hugs,

RE
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    TraciInLA said:

Right on, Linda!

Riiiiight?

I am a popcorn nut
    and I still make it on the stove too, yes with butter! Still my favorite, but also love making caramel popcorn. Popcorn is the one thing that always tastes good.

But I am going to have to try the brown bag way now, no oil will help with some of the butter.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    This sounds like fun Can't
    This sounds like fun Can't wait to try it. Thanks for the suggestion. I love popcorn.
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077

This sounds like fun Can't
    This sounds like fun Can't wait to try it. Thanks for the suggestion. I love popcorn.

Sounds Yummy!
    we are true popcorn hounds at our house! I have found at Costco tho, a bag of corn (prepopped) that is a chicago style with cheddar and caramel mixed! A small bowl every night seems to satisfy me~
    usually we do the hot air with butter~ I want to try this brown bag trick! and I want to go back to the stove top as well!!
    Bring on the Popcorn!!
    ~M
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Sounds Yummy!
    we are true popcorn hounds at our house! I have found at Costco tho, a bag of corn (prepopped) that is a chicago style with cheddar and caramel mixed! A small bowl every night seems to satisfy me~
    usually we do the hot air with butter~ I want to try this brown bag trick! and I want to go back to the stove top as well!!
    Bring on the Popcorn!!
    ~M

... I am laughing .. I thought I was the only
    person in America that puts 'real butter' on natural popped popcorn. I go to extremes
    locating all natural, no added favors or imitation butter popcorn -- now, I have a
    new source!

I purchased a popcorn machine 6 months, ago -- hated it --- burned my hands several times -- on the Teflon portion of machine.

Thanks for passing along this valuable way of popcorn making.

Vicki Sam
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    MAJW said:

Popcorn..
    I'm going to try this as popcorn is one of the things I can eat and taste.....Thanks Linda...and Traci butter is good for you....lol.

I am going to try this. It
    I am going to try this. It is ok to use scotch tape in the microwave? It won't melt?
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

Sounds Yummy!
    Bring on the Popcorn!!
    ~M

Cheese AND caramel?!?
    Oh my heavens, Melanie -- you don't do anything halfway, do you?

I'm CERTAIN that Costco popcorn is very healthy, made with all-natural organic ingredients by hand each day by yoga-loving vegan fairies....

• Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I have to fess up...I add
    I have to fess up...I add butter and salt...with the steriods there are some afternoons that popcorn got me through SERIOUS muchies. And I have tried the Costco caramel/cheese popcorn...Yum!!!

Hugs,

Linda
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    good to know since I have
    good to know since I have about 80 Brown Bags in cabinet! (just used for goodie bags for grandsons party) not sure what to do with the rest..(other then hand puppets)

I"ll give it a try...my family loves POP corn..

Denise
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077

good to know since I have
    good to know since I have about 80 Brown Bags in cabinet! (just used for goodie bags for grandsons party) not sure what to do with the rest..(other then hand puppets)

I"ll give it a try...my family loves POP corn..

Denise

okay~okay~
    I have a girlfriend who microwaves popcorn and drizzles white chocolate all over it....no half way at all~ go big or go home!
    or just eat popcorn whenever it comes your way.
    Truly, it is 98% of the time hot air popped, with butter and salt.
    I feel clean, as if I've been to confession~
    Thank you for loving me, despite my sugar, purse, popcorn, convertible car wind in my hair addictions~
    ~:)