Another UTI

camul
camul Member Posts: 2,537
Started the switch to Fentenyl patch. Will say my back hurts like hell. I am at 12.5 and I don't think it is strong enough. I am still on Methadone at night for 2 more nights, but cut out am and aft dose. I thought it hurt pretty on Methadone, but really found out what pain is. Hopefully it will kick in by Wednesday, (I just put on a new patch) he said it would take 3-4 days to build up in my system. If it doesn't get better by Thursday he will double the dose to 25. Sure wished today was Thursday lol.

Another UTI, but I am proud of myself, instead of waiting till Monday, I called the on call onco, and he called in a script Friday night when I realized I had another one!! My sister told me I was not waiting until Monday. Started med right away, and felt better by Sat nite.

Can't get comfortable to sleep!
Carol

Comments

• aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    sleeping pills? night cap? medical marihuana?
    Carol,

I feel so bad that you can't find some sort of relief.
    Did you consider some of the above mentioned? I took
    some sleeping pills when I was on steroids, the only way
    to get rest and stay sane at that time. Still do the
    occasional night cap, never tried the last one. Not even
    for recreational use, but I hear it works for some people
    and I just wish you could get some relief. I am grasping
    for straws... can you tell?

Love you Carol,
    Ayse
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    aysemari said:

sleeping pills? night cap? medical marihuana?
    Carol,

I feel so bad that you can't find some sort of relief.
    Did you consider some of the above mentioned? I took
    some sleeping pills when I was on steroids, the only way
    to get rest and stay sane at that time. Still do the
    occasional night cap, never tried the last one. Not even
    for recreational use, but I hear it works for some people
    and I just wish you could get some relief. I am grasping
    for straws... can you tell?

Love you Carol,
    Ayse

This...
    This may help, Carol with the UTI'S......years ago I was very prone t them...my female, gynecologist told me this....
    When you pee, and you think you're finished, stand up, then squat, like you're using a public toilet and you'll squeeze out more..this tips the bladder forward and helps to completely empty the bladder.....thus leaving no urine to breed bacteria.....I do this EVERY tie I pee and have for many years...haven't had a UTI in 13 years...it maybe a coincidence, who knows, but it's worth a try....I know how miserable they are.

Hugs,
    Nancy
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    MAJW said:

This...
    This may help, Carol with the UTI'S......years ago I was very prone t them...my female, gynecologist told me this....
    When you pee, and you think you're finished, stand up, then squat, like you're using a public toilet and you'll squeeze out more..this tips the bladder forward and helps to completely empty the bladder.....thus leaving no urine to breed bacteria.....I do this EVERY tie I pee and have for many years...haven't had a UTI in 13 years...it maybe a coincidence, who knows, but it's worth a try....I know how miserable they are.

Hugs,
    Nancy

Oh, Carol, I'm so sorry to hear this
    You've got plenty on your plate, sweetheart. Of course, you're on my prayer list every night. I'm hoping and praying you find the right solution to your pain and I'm glad you've got the UTI under control now.

By the way, I'm grasping at straws like Ayse, but I've been taking OTC cranberry extract capsules daily for about 5 years now. I had started getting UTIs and thought I'd try them. Haven't had one since. If you're interested in trying them, ask your doc. first.

Best of luck, Carol. I think about you every single day.

Hugs, Renee
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    Just letting you know i'm
    Just letting you know i'm thinking about you sorry about the UTI drink lots of cranberry juice hope you gets some relief.
    Hugs Frankie
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

Just letting you know i'm
    Just letting you know i'm thinking about you sorry about the UTI drink lots of cranberry juice hope you gets some relief.
    Hugs Frankie

Carol my thoughts are with you
    I hope you will get pain under control., weather it comes from UTI or mets. Pain is very depressing and I hope you have been feeling better by now. As Frankie I keep Cranberry juice handy and drink it almost every day. Since recent research have shown that cancer is changing patient normal micro flora, I also have included Bio-K probiotic dairy culture, fresh not dried, as dried did not help me. I also use that Luvena moisturizer I mentioned earlier to you.

Nancy
    I like advice, however I am going to start doing it. You need to show us a proper way of doing it.

Wishing you to feel better soon.
    Hugs
    New Flower
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Carol,
    You continue to be in my thoughts & prayers.

xoxo,
    Jean
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Oh Carol I am so sorry, and
    Oh Carol I am so sorry, and proud of you too for not waiting through the weekend. I hope you are feeling better today!!!

One last desperate straw, one more maternal nurturing thought...are you drinking enough clear liquids? I'm sure you know that flushing your system will help...just had to say it.

Hugs,

Linda
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537

Oh Carol I am so sorry, and
    Oh Carol I am so sorry, and proud of you too for not waiting through the weekend. I hope you are feeling better today!!!

One last desperate straw, one more maternal nurturing thought...are you drinking enough clear liquids? I'm sure you know that flushing your system will help...just had to say it.

Hugs,

Linda

Yes
    I drink lots of water, juice, diet soda, cranberry juice. I was thinking it was from chemo, but I had only had Herceptin, no chemo in 2 weeks. Within 2 days of the herceptin I can tell it is coming on. I just think that must be one of my weakest points and so that is where it is going. I am not getting any form of chemo now and I finish Cipro for the UTI on Monday. I am hoping that they will stop. I have a pet and ct Monday so I am hoping it comes up with better results than we are anticipating.

I already feel stronger with no chemo (because I am not so tired and nauseated). But I would do chemo again if it means quality time, but that has not been the case for months. But I am still hoping! I think the Fentanyl is kicking in some, not strong enough, but my back is a little better today.

Thanks for all the good info and well wishes.
    Carol
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    camul said:

Yes
    I drink lots of water, juice, diet soda, cranberry juice. I was thinking it was from chemo, but I had only had Herceptin, no chemo in 2 weeks. Within 2 days of the herceptin I can tell it is coming on. I just think that must be one of my weakest points and so that is where it is going. I am not getting any form of chemo now and I finish Cipro for the UTI on Monday. I am hoping that they will stop. I have a pet and ct Monday so I am hoping it comes up with better results than we are anticipating.

I already feel stronger with no chemo (because I am not so tired and nauseated). But I would do chemo again if it means quality time, but that has not been the case for months. But I am still hoping! I think the Fentanyl is kicking in some, not strong enough, but my back is a little better today.

Thanks for all the good info and well wishes.
    Carol

Dear Carol -- I'm sorry you
    Dear Carol -- I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. I haven't had these in a while but here's what I know: you need to avoid ALL sugars. Drinking soda is a no-no - although it's diet, it has a lot of sugar. Bacteria feeds itself from sugar in the body. I suggest you drink only water and cranberry juice (the raw kind, if you can find it - it's very sour but very good for you). Avoid foods that can build sugar in your blood such as rice, pasta, bread...and especially, avoid dairy. This is what I was told by my Doctors. I used to get them when I was younger (and I am now 34 and haven't had them for over 10 years - thank God). Please avoid sugar - this may help you. And I pray it does and you find some comfort very soon.

Sending you more and more prayers Carol.