Lattissimus Dorsi Surgery

deerello
deerello Member Posts: 22
I would like to hear about anyone's experiences with this surgery. I had reconstruction immediately after surgery, but ultimately both implants had to be removed. On my right side, I developed a staph infection, and still have an open wound, even though the implant was removed back in May. Being on chemo from the get go did not help in matters of healing. Anyway, my PS said that that skin is no longer viable and we will have to use tissue off my back (he does not do tram flaps). I am still awaiting radiation on my left side, but he does not want to do anything untill that is over, so probably in October. He seems pretty positive about success, since we are dealing with new tissue, but I wanted to hear from others.How is recovery compared to mastectomy or other reconstruction? Thank you all.

Comments

• teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    i had this in jan this year
    It was a hard surgery for me to bounce back from. I had both sides done i stayed in the hospital five days and came home with six drains lifting and reaching are very limited. The drains are a pain two of mine stayed in seven weeks i was miserable. I had six weeks of phisical therapy after i healed it helped with the tightness in my back we are all different but again this was a hard surgery for me i wish you the best and take it easy and rest. Also i took a stool softener regular all the pain meds constipated me bad . Good luck to you.

Teresa
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    teresa41 said:

i had this in jan this year
    It was a hard surgery for me to bounce back from. I had both sides done i stayed in the hospital five days and came home with six drains lifting and reaching are very limited. The drains are a pain two of mine stayed in seven weeks i was miserable. I had six weeks of phisical therapy after i healed it helped with the tightness in my back we are all different but again this was a hard surgery for me i wish you the best and take it easy and rest. Also i took a stool softener regular all the pain meds constipated me bad . Good luck to you.

Teresa

I had the surgery~
    back in 09 and actually found it easier than the mastectomy. My cosmetic surgeon wanted to do it right at the time of the mastectomy but I was afraid, it seemed such an invasive surgery. we tried to expand the tissue ( i had rads, but no chemo) but did not have luck stretching the skin far enough. So went forward 6 mo after the mastectomy and did the lat flap on my left side. I followed dr.s orders and healed beautifully. I did have to be careful not to lift anything heavier than a dinner plate, or do any housework for 6 weeks (oh bummer). The surgery was the latter part of Oct. and I was out Christmas shopping with a girlfriend the day after Thanksgiving (she carried my bags/packages). I was on pain meds just for maybe a week to 10 days. (But for me personally, the mastectomy was more a discomfort). My scar is vertical and is hidden by my swim suit in the summertime.
    If you have any other questions you can send me a personal message thru the csn email in the brownish box at the left of your screen.
    I hope my experience has helped to answer some concerns.
    ~Melanie
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    I had a lumpectomy Deerello,
    I had a lumpectomy Deerello, but, wanted to say that I wish you the best of luck with your upcoming surgery. Let us know when you have it scheduled and we will get the pink bus out for you so we can all come and support you.

Hugs, Megan
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Hello Deerello, I had the
    Hello Deerello, I had the latissamus dorsi flap done February 2010. My surgery was bilateral mastectomy, both ovaries, (that's all that was left of my parts so we took them too), with immediate reconstruction. My plastic surgeon inserted tissue expanders at the time of my major operation and filled them a couple times before radiation. Once rad. tats and plates were made we had to leave them be for a while, which was fine because the fills were very painful, I needed the break. I won't lie to you, the LDF was painful and I still have a lot of lost movement, therapy helped but insurance quit paying for it. It's been over two years and I still struggle with that lost back muscle. I would like to know why your PS doesn't do tram flap, that's what I wanted but I lost too much weight :-( so it was out. Praying for your quick recovery Dear Pink Warrior:-)
    Miles of Love,
    ~Kari