CEA results

SherriLee
SherriLee Member Posts: 5
I had a bilateral Mastectomy in Apr of 2009. My CEA started at 4.9. It has risen each year and now is 8.6. Going for a petscan tomorrow. Iam a smoker and trying to quit. What does these numbers mean?

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    I don't know Sherri, but, I
    I don't know Sherri, but, I am wishing you good luck with your PET scan tomorrow.

Hugs, Jan
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    A CEA test is not
    A CEA test is not diagnostic, but my onc said, when my marker increase >20%, he is going to scan me. CEA can be falsely elevated with smoking and inflammation, but can, of course, also signal cancer activity. It is best to be safe and check it out.

My markers did go up with mets, but my CEA is higher--currently 17.1, which is down from a high of 20.

Hope this helps!
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member

I don't know Sherri, but, I
    I don't know Sherri, but, I am wishing you good luck with your PET scan tomorrow.

Hugs, Jan

CEA Test Results
    Hi Sherri,

The carcinoembryonic antigen test (CEA) measures the amount of this protein in the blood of people who have certain kinds of cancer - most often colon and rectal cancers. It can also be present in people with breast, ovarian, lung or pancreatic cancer.

A normal test is less than 5 nanograms per milliliter or less than 5 micrograms per liter. Smoking affects the test results.

I became familiar with this test when my husband had colon cancer. Prior to surgery and chemo his number was 11 and afterward it was less than 1. I was never given this test before, during or after my bout with breast cancer. The fact that your number has increased would seem significant and you are doing the right thing by going in for a PET scan. That should give you some answers.

I wish you good luck.

IRENE
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member

CEA Test Results
    Hi Sherri,

The carcinoembryonic antigen test (CEA) measures the amount of this protein in the blood of people who have certain kinds of cancer - most often colon and rectal cancers. It can also be present in people with breast, ovarian, lung or pancreatic cancer.

A normal test is less than 5 nanograms per milliliter or less than 5 micrograms per liter. Smoking affects the test results.

I became familiar with this test when my husband had colon cancer. Prior to surgery and chemo his number was 11 and afterward it was less than 1. I was never given this test before, during or after my bout with breast cancer. The fact that your number has increased would seem significant and you are doing the right thing by going in for a PET scan. That should give you some answers.

I wish you good luck.

IRENE

Other issues that can affect
    Other issues that can affect the results:

"High values
    Cancer of the colon, lung, pancreas, breast, or ovary may be present.
    Cancer may not be responding to treatment.
    Cancer may have returned after treatment. A steadily rising CEA may be the first sign that cancer has come back after treatment. Also, people with advanced cancer or cancer that has spread to other parts of the body (metastatic cancer) may have high CEA levels if their original cancer produced this protein before treatment.
    Another condition or disease is present, such as cirrhosis, hepatitis, diverticulitis, inflammatory bowel disease, peptic ulcer disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), inflammation of the gallbladder (cholecystitis), or an obstructed bile duct.

What Affects the Test

Heavy smoking affects the test results."

CEA Test

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/carcinoembryonic-antigen-cea?page=2
  • salls41
    salls41 Member Posts: 340
    Former Smoker
    SherriLee, I smoked for 35 years. I put them down on Jan 16, 2009 after holding my Mother while she died from lung cancer the previous Oct. I was always one that said "I am trying to quit" but I never really tried until that night. It took from Oct to Jan for me to ready myself for a life after cigarettes. I thank God everyday for giving me the strength to quit. I am happy to say I didn't even think about a cigarette the day I was diagnosed! Before, I would have smoked a pack while I cried. You can quit too. You do it one second at a time in the beginning, then one minute at a time, then one hour at a time, then one day at a time.
    Good Luck with you scan, Prayers for good results!
    Hugs to you as well
    Sandy
  • SherriLee
    salls41 said:

Former Smoker
    SherriLee, I smoked for 35 years. I put them down on Jan 16, 2009 after holding my Mother while she died from lung cancer the previous Oct. I was always one that said "I am trying to quit" but I never really tried until that night. It took from Oct to Jan for me to ready myself for a life after cigarettes. I thank God everyday for giving me the strength to quit. I am happy to say I didn't even think about a cigarette the day I was diagnosed! Before, I would have smoked a pack while I cried. You can quit too. You do it one second at a time in the beginning, then one minute at a time, then one hour at a time, then one day at a time.
    Good Luck with you scan, Prayers for good results!
    Hugs to you as well
    Sandy

Thank you all for your
    Thank you all for your responses. I'm so glad I came upon this organization. I'll let you know what my Petscan results are.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    SherriLee said:

Thank you all for your
    Thank you all for your responses. I'm so glad I came upon this organization. I'll let you know what my Petscan results are.

Wishing you good luck
    Wishing you good luck SherriLee with your PET scan! Post your results when you can.

Hugs, Debby
  • Pinky68
    Pinky68 Member Posts: 206 Member
    DebbyM said:

Wishing you good luck
    Wishing you good luck SherriLee with your PET scan! Post your results when you can.

Hugs, Debby

Thinking of you too
    Prayers and hugs to you...let us know how the PET scan goes..

Joyce
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Pinky68 said:

Thinking of you too
    Prayers and hugs to you...let us know how the PET scan goes..

Joyce

Any news on your PET scan
    Any news on your PET scan yet? Hugs and prayers!
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    I just came across this post
    I just came across this post and the sisters have given you great information (I learned too).

Please let us know how you're doing.
  • SherriLee

I just came across this post and the sisters have given you great information (I learned too).

Cea
    No Petscan today. My new insurance only covers one at 50% after 1500 deductible. Therefore my cost is 1100 right now. I want my Onc to re-draw my blood and check the levels. If there still higher I'll figure something out. Ugh!!
  • SherriLee

Cea
    No Petscan today. My new insurance only covers one at 50% after 1500 deductible. Therefore my cost is 1100 right now. I want my Onc to re-draw my blood and check the levels. If there still higher I'll figure something out. Ugh!!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    SherriLee said:

Cea

Darn insurance! Hoping your
    Darn insurance! Hoping your new blood work will be good so you won't need the PET scan.

Thanks for the update,

Diane
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    DianeBC said:

Darn insurance! Hoping your
    Darn insurance! Hoping your new blood work will be good so you won't need the PET scan.

Thanks for the update,

Diane

Did you have bloodwork done?
    Did you have bloodwork done? How was it?

Jan
  • SherriLee

Did you have bloodwork done?
    Did you have bloodwork done? How was it?

Jan

My blood work went up to 8.9
    My blood work went up to 8.9 so he has me scheduled for CT scans and bone scan. I'll let you know how it goes. Has anyone taken effexor for hot flashes? Does anyone have joint pain from it? My hips and legs are killing me.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    SherriLee said:

My blood work went up to 8.9
    My blood work went up to 8.9 so he has me scheduled for CT scans and bone scan. I'll let you know how it goes. Has anyone taken effexor for hot flashes? Does anyone have joint pain from it? My hips and legs are killing me.

Good luck with the CT and
    Good luck with the CT and bone scan SherriLee. Post your results when you know.

Hugs, Lex