Need advice from all my mastectomy gals--scheduled for Friday--YIKES!

Options
2»

Comments

• shellywahl
    shellywahl Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for your Post!
    Miss Renee - Best of luck to you tomorrow! I can relate to your nerves as my double mastectomy is scheduled for next Tuesday. It was a surprise to hear your doctor advised against a double. It's certainly an individual choice.

My diagnosis was in April and I met with the Breast Surgeon who recommended a mastectomy. When I inquired whether she would perform a double she agreed and actually recommended it because it reduces the opportunity for recurrence from 40% to 4%. Results of the biopsy showed the cancer was Triple Negative which is not from any female hormones. That reduces the risk for recurrence in itself, however, the Breast Surgeon told me insurance is required to pay for the non-cancerous breast to be reconstructed along with the cancerous side. She referred me to a Reconstructive Surgeon who stated the same thing and when I checked with my insurance they agreed. I'm surprised to hear so many people say their insurance wouldn't cover reconstruction on both breasts. Maybe it's a state thing? I don't know.

In speaking with the Reconstructive Surgeon he shared that reconstruction is best done in small, short phases. During the surgery they will insert tissue expanders that keep the tissue expanded (a little smaller than now), but the Expander has saline bags that will be filled over time. Once all the treatment is complete I have the option to keep the saline bags or have them changed to silicone implants. All of this is covered by insurance.

After being diagnosed it feels like you have to quickly make decisions about things you have never had a chance to learn about. Keep using the forums and I recommend applying for the outreach program. Most likely someone from your area is a volunteer and will drop by your house with a 'goody' bag. Again, best of luck to you. Hope this has been helpful to you and others. Hugs!
  • Pinky68
    Pinky68 Member Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Thanks for your Post!
    Miss Renee - Best of luck to you tomorrow! I can relate to your nerves as my double mastectomy is scheduled for next Tuesday. It was a surprise to hear your doctor advised against a double. It's certainly an individual choice.

My diagnosis was in April and I met with the Breast Surgeon who recommended a mastectomy. When I inquired whether she would perform a double she agreed and actually recommended it because it reduces the opportunity for recurrence from 40% to 4%. Results of the biopsy showed the cancer was Triple Negative which is not from any female hormones. That reduces the risk for recurrence in itself, however, the Breast Surgeon told me insurance is required to pay for the non-cancerous breast to be reconstructed along with the cancerous side. She referred me to a Reconstructive Surgeon who stated the same thing and when I checked with my insurance they agreed. I'm surprised to hear so many people say their insurance wouldn't cover reconstruction on both breasts. Maybe it's a state thing? I don't know.

In speaking with the Reconstructive Surgeon he shared that reconstruction is best done in small, short phases. During the surgery they will insert tissue expanders that keep the tissue expanded (a little smaller than now), but the Expander has saline bags that will be filled over time. Once all the treatment is complete I have the option to keep the saline bags or have them changed to silicone implants. All of this is covered by insurance.

After being diagnosed it feels like you have to quickly make decisions about things you have never had a chance to learn about. Keep using the forums and I recommend applying for the outreach program. Most likely someone from your area is a volunteer and will drop by your house with a 'goody' bag. Again, best of luck to you. Hope this has been helpful to you and others. Hugs!

Miss Renee
    I'm praying for you...all will be good

thoughts to you and your family,
    Joyce
  • salls41
    salls41 Member Posts: 340
    Options
    In my thoughts
    Just wanted you to know you are in my thoughts today! Prayers for you and your hubby,
    Sandy
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Dear Renee,
    Sorry I am just seeing this. You know my thoughts & prayers are with you today. The girls gave you all good advise. I too wanted to have both removed, but my doctor said it wasn't necessary, so just had the left one removed.

I got a lot of front button or zipper tops and even night gowns. The drain was the worst part. Yuk. I slept in the recliner for quite awhile. It was just easier for me.

Remember to get a small travel pillow to put between your chest and the seatbelt in the car.

Ask about small exercises that you can do in the shower, like running your fingers up the wall.

You will do fine.

Love you!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Dear Renee,
    Sorry I am just seeing this. You know my thoughts & prayers are with you today. The girls gave you all good advise. I too wanted to have both removed, but my doctor said it wasn't necessary, so just had the left one removed.

I got a lot of front button or zipper tops and even night gowns. The drain was the worst part. Yuk. I slept in the recliner for quite awhile. It was just easier for me.

Remember to get a small travel pillow to put between your chest and the seatbelt in the car.

Ask about small exercises that you can do in the shower, like running your fingers up the wall.

You will do fine.

Love you!

Miss Renee ..
    Sorry that you have to endure this surgery, however, the good news is that
    you will be up and about with those pesky drains in no time.

Multiple pillows .. is a great suggestion!

Prayers and positive thoughts coming your way.

Hoping for a speedy recovery, and health for you my dear friend.

Vicki Sam
  • Monicalynn
    Monicalynn Member Posts: 61
    Options
    I had a right side
    I had a right side mastectomy. The pain was substantially less than I thought it would be. They prescribed pain pills to take two every four hours as needed. They were to strong for me so I only took one. It was really numb because they have to cut some of the nerves so alot of the feeling was gone. My worst pain was when I was scooting on my bed and used my right arm to help scoot along. lesson learned, don't use the mastectomy side to push your weight as I scooted. And definately have many different sizes of pillows to use throughout recovery :) Best of luck with surgery and try to do to much after, let everyone pamper you while you heal