Two new articles re treatment of ER+ metastatic breast cancer

Options
CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
1) First, from The New England Journal of Medicine, a study combining faslodex and arimidex in the treatment of ER+ mets:
"The combination of anastrozole and fulvestrant was superior to anastrozole alone or sequential anastrozole and fulvestrant for the treatment of HR-positive metastatic breast cancer, despite the use of a dose of fulvestrant that was below the current standard."
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1201622
2) From Cancer Network, FDA has approved the use of everolimus (Afinitor)in treating ER+ mets:
"The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the mTOR inhibitor everolimus (Afinitor) last week for use in postmenopausal women with HER2-negative, hormone-receptor–positive advanced breast cancer patients. Afinitor was approved in combination with exemestane(Drug information on exemestane) (Aromasin) in those patients whose cancer progressed following treatment with letrozole or anastrozole(Drug information on anastrozole)." http://www.cancernetwork.com/breast-cancer/content/article/10165/2092122

I am planning on asking my onc about adding arimidex (anastrozole) to my faslodex (fulvestrant)even though I am not crazy about the idea. There have been conflicting results about this combination therapy, but the NEJM finding has me paying more attention.

Comments

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    thanks
    Thank you so much for the info. I am not up to doing much research myself right now but truely appreciate the leg work and direction. I will do a little reading this aft. it sounds interesting.
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    eihtak said:

thanks
    Thank you so much for the info. I am not up to doing much research myself right now but truely appreciate the leg work and direction. I will do a little reading this aft. it sounds interesting.

thanks
    I appreciate all the info you give,hugs~~MollyZ~~
  • CypressCynthia
    Options
    Bumping up for Doris.
    Bumping up for Doris. Doris, I wanted to make sure that you and some of the other ER+ Mets folks saw these. :-)
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options

Bumping up for Doris.
    Bumping up for Doris. Doris, I wanted to make sure that you and some of the other ER+ Mets folks saw these. :-)

Thanks, Cynthia.

Thanks, Cynthia.
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    Squeezing The Most Time Out of Each Drug
    Hi CC,

The Faslodex and Arimidex combo came out of the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium of 2011. I have noted for a long time that women have been using the combo.

Faslodex wasn't even on the radar when I began using Arimidex. I used Arimidex for many, many years, presumably because it was my first aromatase inhibitor. Femara gave me less than 2 years. Now on Faslodex, first time 7 months, second time almost 6 months.

However, when you do the combo, you used up 2 of the hormonal drug options. Since there are not to many hormonal drugs, that makes you one step closer to chemo instead of a longer stretch with each drug.

Wouldn't it be better to take one drug at a time to wringing out the most with each?

Doris
  • SIROD
    Options

Bumping up for Doris.

Cost, CC, the cost!
    Dear CC,

I am still very concern about the price of Afinitor.

Last December we had a discussion about the price of Afinitor on the discussion board. My post with the price quotes found online and in a newspaper. I know that many women who have used it before the FDA approved of it went directly to the drug company. Now that it is approved, will they still be giving out free samples?

http://csn.cancer.org/node/231880

Cost, according to the newspaper I read this morning it is $11,000.00 for a 30 day supply of Afinitor.

Online, I found this:

A 5 mg tablet is $228.75 ($6,862.50 for a 30 days supply) a tablet while 10 mg is $241.25 ($7237.50 for a 30 days). A bit outrageous.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am hoping to retire at the end of the year. Now that Medicare "Donut Hole" does concern me a little more with all my other prescriptions. I won't make the 2nd month without paying full cost for all if I am on this type of drug.

When Faslodex fails, I don't believe my oncologist will let me take another AI right away.

So there is hope in that and the possibility of my taking "Halotestin". Now that drug has to be real cheap. I did read on another web site that this woman's mother had 17 months on this drug. I didn't even know it was still prescribe it. My sister's late mother-in-law used it for about 24 months back in the 1970's. I don't like the side effects though:).

However, I am very happy for any new drug take is approved for any of us with bc mets. I truly am grateful for it has been a while since we have had a new one.

Doris
  • CypressCynthia
    Options
    SIROD said:

Squeezing The Most Time Out of Each Drug
    Hi CC,

The Faslodex and Arimidex combo came out of the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium of 2011. I have noted for a long time that women have been using the combo.

Faslodex wasn't even on the radar when I began using Arimidex. I used Arimidex for many, many years, presumably because it was my first aromatase inhibitor. Femara gave me less than 2 years. Now on Faslodex, first time 7 months, second time almost 6 months.

However, when you do the combo, you used up 2 of the hormonal drug options. Since there are not to many hormonal drugs, that makes you one step closer to chemo instead of a longer stretch with each drug.

Wouldn't it be better to take one drug at a time to wringing out the most with each?

Doris

It might not be better to
    It might not be better to take the drugs one at a time if the two work together synergistically to prevent less resistence. Eventually, more studies will tell, but I am going to pick my onc's brain in October to see what he thinks.

How are you doing, by the way? Didn't see your name for a little while and I was getting worried. (((Hugs)))
  • SIROD
    Options

It might not be better to
    It might not be better to take the drugs one at a time if the two work together synergistically to prevent less resistence. Eventually, more studies will tell, but I am going to pick my onc's brain in October to see what he thinks.

How are you doing, by the way? Didn't see your name for a little while and I was getting worried. (((Hugs)))

Faslodex
    Hi CC,

I certainly would in your place to pick your oncologist brain to see if this would be right for you.

I've been away on my summer vacation. I didn't bring my computer along as I believe I've become a bit addictive. I believe it's always good to withdraw for a while and it wasn't easy to always find one to use. I did have to go on to print my tickets though and did take a peek.

My scan is in September to see if Faslodex is still working. I have lots of shortness of breath, wheezing and I am convincing myself that it's nothing to be concern over. Not always an easy sell but, I hate scans and it will all wait.

How are you doing on Faslodex?

Doris
  • CypressCynthia
    Options
    SIROD said:

Faslodex
    Hi CC,

I certainly would in your place to pick your oncologist brain to see if this would be right for you.

I've been away on my summer vacation. I didn't bring my computer along as I believe I've become a bit addictive. I believe it's always good to withdraw for a while and it wasn't easy to always find one to use. I did have to go on to print my tickets though and did take a peek.

My scan is in September to see if Faslodex is still working. I have lots of shortness of breath, wheezing and I am convincing myself that it's nothing to be concern over. Not always an easy sell but, I hate scans and it will all wait.

How are you doing on Faslodex?

Doris

I hate that you are short of
    I hate that you are short of breath and wheezing. That sounds awful. I am praying that it is "just" asthma.

I am doing well on Faslodex. I haven't had another scan since last August, because I am doing well and my markers have been slowly, slowly creeping down.

I've had some weight gain and not sure if it is faslodex, lexapro, just eating too much--who knows? Although my BMI is still normal, I feel much better when I am 10 lbs less, so I am going to work on that. Always a struggle--especially living where there is an overabundance of great food ;-).

We are heading to the mountains in Idaho this week so I will be without cell or computer. Kind of nice, isn't it?

Big hugs from one "old timer" to another.
  • SIROD
    Options

I hate that you are short of breath and wheezing. That sounds awful. I am praying that it is "just" asthma.

I am doing well on Faslodex. I haven't had another scan since last August, because I am doing well and my markers have been slowly, slowly creeping down.

I've had some weight gain and not sure if it is faslodex, lexapro, just eating too much--who knows? Although my BMI is still normal, I feel much better when I am 10 lbs less, so I am going to work on that. Always a struggle--especially living where there is an overabundance of great food ;-).

We are heading to the mountains in Idaho this week so I will be without cell or computer. Kind of nice, isn't it?

Have A Great Trip
    Hi,

I have a treatment on Friday. Last time, I had no side effects except the usual Fatigue. That was the first time without any nausea, vomiting and etc. since I began Faslodex in March. I will ask about shortness of breath as I am back sleeping on my wedge pillow. Haven't used it since Spring. I no longer look for trouble, it always finds me.

Markers never worked for me. I envy those who are able to use them.

Enjoy your trip to Idaho, sounds very nice. Sometimes one has to take a break from computers and cell phones. Peaceful!

Hugs back.

Doris
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options

Are you going back to
    Are you going back to Lowell? or somewhere else in Idaho. I live 2 hours north of Boise. xoxoxo Lynn
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

Are you going back to
    Are you going back to Lowell? or somewhere else in Idaho. I live 2 hours north of Boise. xoxoxo Lynn

thank you for this info,
    thank you for this info, glad t knwo we are getting more in our arsenal! ave a great vacation