Internal scar tissue problems

bouncer
bouncer Member Posts: 30
I had my first operation, to remove the right hand side of my thyroid and a large tumour, in April 2011. A second operation, on the same scar site, to remove the remaining thyroid took place a month later. Following difficulties with my blood results, and being unable to have RAI, a small remnant of thyroid was found and was removed in March this year. All of the incisions were on the same line (a crease or skin fold in my neck).
I am having a lot of discomfort in my lower neck, internally, which appears to be from where the inner cuts were stitched. I am unable to look up, due to tightness and pulling in my neck.
Is this likely to last very long - or maybe it is permanent?

Comments

• RubyRuby
    RubyRuby Member Posts: 17
    Internal Scar tissue problem
    Hi Bouncer

I am having the same problem after a neck dissection to remove 30 lymph nodes 5 weeks ago. The internal tissue from
    just under my chin, all the way to the back of my right ear had gone hard. In the beginning, It felt like a rope has been tied up on my neck. It restricted me to sleep withy back and head pop up high, otherwise, it feels like someone tighten the rope and it's awful.

I mentioned it to the surgeon a week ago, she suggested excerise on the neck whenever I have a spare few minutes (e.g. during the TV commercial), and massage the area at least 3 times a day. I have done it for a week now, and it did give me some relieve. I can now sleep on my side without the tight feeling. However, I found that once I left it for too long without the exercise, the tight feeling come back again. And... I still can't lift my head up at all. The most I can do is looking straight ahead.

I read some info from another forum that physiotherapy could help, but not guranteed. Also everyone said that it will take months(or even a year or more) to have the scar tissue gradually soften up again. So I guess we just have to work a bit harder and be patient.

Wishing all the best
    Ruby
  • bouncer
    bouncer Member Posts: 30
    RubyRuby said:

Internal Scar tissue problem
    Hi Bouncer

I am having the same problem after a neck dissection to remove 30 lymph nodes 5 weeks ago. The internal tissue from
    just under my chin, all the way to the back of my right ear had gone hard. In the beginning, It felt like a rope has been tied up on my neck. It restricted me to sleep withy back and head pop up high, otherwise, it feels like someone tighten the rope and it's awful.

I mentioned it to the surgeon a week ago, she suggested excerise on the neck whenever I have a spare few minutes (e.g. during the TV commercial), and massage the area at least 3 times a day. I have done it for a week now, and it did give me some relieve. I can now sleep on my side without the tight feeling. However, I found that once I left it for too long without the exercise, the tight feeling come back again. And... I still can't lift my head up at all. The most I can do is looking straight ahead.

I read some info from another forum that physiotherapy could help, but not guranteed. Also everyone said that it will take months(or even a year or more) to have the scar tissue gradually soften up again. So I guess we just have to work a bit harder and be patient.

Wishing all the best
    Ruby

Thanks for the info, Ruby. I
    Thanks for the info, Ruby. I have been using Bio Oil, to reduce the look of the external scar, but I don't think it penetrates deeply enough to have any effect on internal scaring.
    I know there is also a risk of a cyst on the internal scaring, but perhaps the next scan I will have in November will show something (or, hopefully, nothing!).

Regards,

B
  • RubyRuby
    RubyRuby Member Posts: 17
    bouncer said:

Thanks for the info, Ruby. I
    Thanks for the info, Ruby. I have been using Bio Oil, to reduce the look of the external scar, but I don't think it penetrates deeply enough to have any effect on internal scaring.
    I know there is also a risk of a cyst on the internal scaring, but perhaps the next scan I will have in November will show something (or, hopefully, nothing!).

Regards,

B

Massage
    Bio oil is great. I am using it to all my wounds. Apparently massage the area can promote blood circulation and hence help to break down the scar tissue.

I noticed that my neck is a bit more flexible this week. I have a feeling it maybe a result of me eating solid food the past week. The chewing motion must have made my neck muscle gradually working again. I really hope that when my tongue shrink back to normal size, and then get my teeth fix. I can chew on the both sides and that might help soften the scar tissue completely.

Ruby