Neuropathy

I have had 2 chemos because of my breast cancer. My doctor wants me to have 4. After the second one, my feet began to give me problems. My "onc" wants me to continue the treatments, but he's lowering the dosage of Taxotere from 140 mg to 115 mg.

Does anyone have permanent neuropathy to hands or feet due to chemo? What advice, if any can you give me? I'm at a crossroads to decide if I should continue the chemo or not. I've had 6 1/2 weeks of radiation, and I had a lumpectomy in February. My lymph nodes were NOT involved, and I'm in Stage 1, so I caught it early. Had the genetics testing done on the tumor. I'm in the middle range of recurrance, so that's why the doctor wanted me to do the chemo in the first place.

I would appreciate any input that is beneficial...Thank you!

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Neuropathy
    Yes it can happen, neuropathy can happen...I have a small place on my foot...but in my opinion, it would not stop me from finishing chemo....neuropathy isn't life threatening, breast cancer can be, as we all know....plus there is great medication that can relieve the neuropathy...

My first recurrence was in my lymph nodes, which were clean when my lumpectomy was done...go figure!

Please continue your chemo...it's your best chance of beating this and a recurrence..
    Hugs, Nancy
  • salls41
    salls41 Member Posts: 340
    Numbness~tingling
    Yes I have neuropathy of hands and feet. My fingers are always numb and my feet feel like they are encased in ice blocks that have been set on fire. I am trying to relieve this with medication that has helped some. I need to increase the dose I think. I am not sorry I had my chemo. I can learn to live with this as long as I can live.
    Sandy
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Neuropathy
    I finished chemo 2 years ago this month (Stage 3C triple negative recurrance)- 4 A/C and 4 Taxol, dose-dense, every 2 weeks - and I developed neuropathy pretty bad and it hasn't gotten any better. However, it is better than the alternative! I can live with the neuropathy, as painful as it is, but if I hadn't had chemo, I'd probably not be here now to talk about it.
  • Pinky68
    Pinky68 Member Posts: 206 Member
    linpsu said:

Neuropathy
    I finished chemo 2 years ago this month (Stage 3C triple negative recurrance)- 4 A/C and 4 Taxol, dose-dense, every 2 weeks - and I developed neuropathy pretty bad and it hasn't gotten any better. However, it is better than the alternative! I can live with the neuropathy, as painful as it is, but if I hadn't had chemo, I'd probably not be here now to talk about it.

Yeah
    Finished 16 chemo's one year ago.....Neuropathy in calves(feels like shin splints) and feet. Hasn't gotten any better but that's OK! I wanted to stop chemo too......So glad I didn't!! I agree with my other pink sisters--keep doing the chemo, but definetely tell your onco all of your symptoms and side-effects!

Joyce
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Welcome!
    I endured a total of 28 rounds of chemo and I neuropathy in my hand and arm but I see it as a small price to pay to still be here. It is bothersome at times but no more than arthritis we get with age etc. Knowing what I know today I would do it all again in a heart beat! I will say I used to have it in my feet but that is a ton better, I just have it a tiny bit in my feet now.

I wish you all the best,

RE
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    MAJW said:

Neuropathy
    Yes it can happen, neuropathy can happen...I have a small place on my foot...but in my opinion, it would not stop me from finishing chemo....neuropathy isn't life threatening, breast cancer can be, as we all know....plus there is great medication that can relieve the neuropathy...

My first recurrence was in my lymph nodes, which were clean when my lumpectomy was done...go figure!

Please continue your chemo...it's your best chance of beating this and a recurrence..
    Hugs, Nancy

I don't have neuropathy,
    I don't have neuropathy, but, many here do and I know will post info for you. Perhaps when you finish chemo, it will get better. What does your onco say?

Hugs, Angie
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I did 6 rounds TAC, xeloda,
    I did 6 rounds TAC, xeloda, abraxane, and will start navelbine soon. And yes, I have the neuropathy. Is it annoying? painful? Yes. But as others have said it beats the alternative.

The other thing to consider, is that yours may not be permanent. Sadly, we don't have a crystal ball and cannot predict the future. As I understand it, the docs are not able to predict who will have permanent nerve damage, and who will not.

There is a reason your doc is recommending 4 treatments. It likely has to do with the grwoth/death cycle of cancer cells. For me, the fear would be that stopping chemo might mean that some of those nasty cells would survive because of where they are in the growth cycle.

Is chemo hard? Yes. Will it change your body long term? Yes. No one knows exactly what those changes will be. Clearly, you are asking a group of people who are pre-disposed to doing everything we can to fight off the beast.

We cannot make this decision for you. And it is an incredibly difficult choice. My advice is talk seriously with your doc. Why is he recommending 4? What are the risks if you stop? Are those risks worth it to you? Then listen to your doc, your heart, your gut, and your head. Ultimately, regardless of what we say here, you have to do what is right for you. And I, for one, will support whatever you decide.

Please come back and let us know how you are doing. If you are having specific side effects that are bothering you, please ask us. There is so much experience on this board, I think we have encountered every side effect there is. And we are happy to share ideas and what worked for us. (We'll also always tell you to check with your doc too.) And if nothing else, you will feel less alone. This is great group of people, and I hope you feel welcome here.

Hugs,

Linda
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

I did 6 rounds TAC, xeloda,
    I did 6 rounds TAC, xeloda, abraxane, and will start navelbine soon. And yes, I have the neuropathy. Is it annoying? painful? Yes. But as others have said it beats the alternative.

The other thing to consider, is that yours may not be permanent. Sadly, we don't have a crystal ball and cannot predict the future. As I understand it, the docs are not able to predict who will have permanent nerve damage, and who will not.

There is a reason your doc is recommending 4 treatments. It likely has to do with the grwoth/death cycle of cancer cells. For me, the fear would be that stopping chemo might mean that some of those nasty cells would survive because of where they are in the growth cycle.

Is chemo hard? Yes. Will it change your body long term? Yes. No one knows exactly what those changes will be. Clearly, you are asking a group of people who are pre-disposed to doing everything we can to fight off the beast.

We cannot make this decision for you. And it is an incredibly difficult choice. My advice is talk seriously with your doc. Why is he recommending 4? What are the risks if you stop? Are those risks worth it to you? Then listen to your doc, your heart, your gut, and your head. Ultimately, regardless of what we say here, you have to do what is right for you. And I, for one, will support whatever you decide.

Please come back and let us know how you are doing. If you are having specific side effects that are bothering you, please ask us. There is so much experience on this board, I think we have encountered every side effect there is. And we are happy to share ideas and what worked for us. (We'll also always tell you to check with your doc too.) And if nothing else, you will feel less alone. This is great group of people, and I hope you feel welcome here.

Hugs,

Linda

I have neuropathy in
    I have neuropathy in fingers, feet and calves. I have balance problems, but PT has helped and exersize. I lose balance because of the lack of snesation. It has imoroved but now I think it has It is tough to be on my feet with the job I have I was on my feet for 12 hours straight and it was painful. Neurontin, lyrica, cymbalta are said to help. I did not tolerate these drugs. Also take vitamin B6 and some people have put their hands and feet in cold water or ice cold water and say that helps. Certainly do not immerse them in hot water. would not give up, I had the choice to stop and decided to continue, just needed to know I had done all I could. You have a good prognosis, so do it to seal the deal.