OT Clementine_P and Rules of Civility

Options
CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
Just finished The Rules of Civility last night. Thank you so much for recommending it. I loved it! Kind of a cross between The Great Gatsby and an Edith Wharton novel to me. I loved the history, the atmoshphere and the tender story; I couldn't put it down. Danny is reading it now. I'll let you know if he likes it as much. Thanks again.

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Omigosh, did I ever read that subject line out of context!
    I'm not much of a fiction person, so have never heard of The Rules of Civility....so imagine how I read your subject line, CC:

Clementine has been a rude bi*ch on the board? CC has written "rules of civility," and is calling out Clementine? What if I don't want to follow CC's rules of civility -- maybe Clementine and I can band together in protest?

Honestly, I opened your post so fast -- imagine my disappointment when I discovered it wasn't anywhere near as juicy and controversial as I expected!

:-( Traci
  • CypressCynthia
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Omigosh, did I ever read that subject line out of context!
    I'm not much of a fiction person, so have never heard of The Rules of Civility....so imagine how I read your subject line, CC:

Clementine has been a rude bi*ch on the board? CC has written "rules of civility," and is calling out Clementine? What if I don't want to follow CC's rules of civility -- maybe Clementine and I can band together in protest?

Honestly, I opened your post so fast -- imagine my disappointment when I discovered it wasn't anywhere near as juicy and controversial as I expected!

:-( Traci

Traci, you always crack me
    Traci, you always crack me up :-) Sorry for the confusion and I'll try and juice it up next time...lol.
  • Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member
    Options

Traci, you always crack me
    Traci, you always crack me up :-) Sorry for the confusion and I'll try and juice it up next time...lol.

CC - so glad you liked it!
    I think you made an apt description calling it a mix of a Great Gatsby and Edith Warton. So true! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the read and I hope your husband likes it just as much.

Traci, you crack me up! While I am most definitely not a shrinking violet not sure whether I was being so much of a B that CC needed to school me! Ha ha. Next time, I'll recommend a book with an even more suggestive title just to get you riled up!

Best, Clementine
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options

CC - so glad you liked it!
    I think you made an apt description calling it a mix of a Great Gatsby and Edith Warton. So true! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the read and I hope your husband likes it just as much.

Traci, you crack me up! While I am most definitely not a shrinking violet not sure whether I was being so much of a B that CC needed to school me! Ha ha. Next time, I'll recommend a book with an even more suggestive title just to get you riled up!

Best, Clementine

Leave it to Traci!
    That was so funny! So, is this book at the bookstores? Do we have a published author right here among us pinks? Wow. Sounds like I have another book to buy.

Hugs, Renee
  • CypressCynthia
    Options
    missrenee said:

Leave it to Traci!
    That was so funny! So, is this book at the bookstores? Do we have a published author right here among us pinks? Wow. Sounds like I have another book to buy.

Hugs, Renee

The book is "Rules of
    The book is "Rules of Civility" by Amor Towles. Clementine recommended it when I was asking for book suggestions in a previous post. I just loved it. The book is set in 1938 New York and follows a small town secretary's adventures and life-lessons set in a glamorous and sophisticated backdrop. It is very atmospheric, wickedly fun and also very tender and moving.

Now I'm reading "Shadows of the Night" by Deborah Harkness. Danny and I had listened to her "Discovery of Witches" in the car. Poor Danny, I didn't realize that it was part romance novel ;-). Anyway, I am reading the sequel myself (I won't torture Danny...lol) for a fun beach read :-)