For Jasminsaba

Options
PatchAdams
PatchAdams Member Posts: 271
edited July 2012 in Colorectal Cancer #1
In another thread you asked about RFA or cyberknife for liver mets. The long term success rate for those type treatments on liver mets is....... zero.

Here's a link someone on another forum sent me to: MD Anderson Study HERE

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    Zero?
    I did read the article.

The study is either wrong - or I'm writing you from the boneyard.

Because, 1 > 0 according to the way they taught math when I went to the old school.

And I am that One.

I did RFA on the liver...the met was about 9 x 5 cms...we ablated as far as we could go due to the size of the tumor. We then did 3x Cyberknife treatments to eradicate the tumor locally.

That was back in 2007...this is 2012...I've made it 5 years out of the liver....no recurrences in the liver.

And I just made 8 years since Dx.

When I was doing it, I read where RFA was equal to, if not better than a resection. I think I've proven that RFA and Cyberknife got me equal to, if not better results than I had I done a resection.

The fact that I'm writing tells you that.

I was originally scheduled for a liver resection, but after they opened me, they found that my liver was not in a position for a resection...he felt like I would have died on the O/R table...so he switched gears to RFA and Cyberknife.

The rest is history for me.

Statistics are for tombstones.
  • janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Sundanceh said:

Zero?
    I did read the article.

The study is either wrong - or I'm writing you from the boneyard.

Because, 1 > 0 according to the way they taught math when I went to the old school.

And I am that One.

I did RFA on the liver...the met was about 9 x 5 cms...we ablated as far as we could go due to the size of the tumor. We then did 3x Cyberknife treatments to eradicate the tumor locally.

That was back in 2007...this is 2012...I've made it 5 years out of the liver....no recurrences in the liver.

And I just made 8 years since Dx.

When I was doing it, I read where RFA was equal to, if not better than a resection. I think I've proven that RFA and Cyberknife got me equal to, if not better results than I had I done a resection.

The fact that I'm writing tells you that.

I was originally scheduled for a liver resection, but after they opened me, they found that my liver was not in a position for a resection...he felt like I would have died on the O/R table...so he switched gears to RFA and Cyberknife.

The rest is history for me.

Statistics are for tombstones.

Thats amazing Craig. I didnt
    Thats amazing Craig. I didnt know about that. Maybe you are right concidering I have had 3 liver resections in 6 years. However I am hoping 3rd time is the charm.
  • jasminsaba
    jasminsaba Member Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you ...
    for sharing this paper and reviving this topic.

I have found that the more I research this particualr topic and that of disappearing liver lesions due to chemo alone, the more confused I get about what's the best course of treatment.

Of course, physicians don't even all agree on what the best course of treatment may be for a patient in this situation ... as they say, it depends on the patient.

I am relieved to hear of the success Craig has had with RFA and Cyberknife ... 5 years without a recurrence is certainly deemed successful in my book.

I would love to hear from ANYONE on this board who has had SUCCESS with CHEMO ALONE for solitary liver mets ... without RFA and/or surgery. anyone?
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Always check the dates
    As with anything you read about cancer treatments, make sure you take a close look at the date it was published, the date of the trial, the date of the references.

These dates in this article are 6 or more years old. That is a long time ago and much can and has changed in what treatments are available or in how previous treatments are applied.

Marie who loves kitties
  • janie1
    janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member
    Options

Always check the dates
    As with anything you read about cancer treatments, make sure you take a close look at the date it was published, the date of the trial, the date of the references.

These dates in this article are 6 or more years old. That is a long time ago and much can and has changed in what treatments are available or in how previous treatments are applied.

Marie who loves kitties

liver
    I had a lot of disease in the liver. Had major liver surgery in January (not clear margins with one of the 3 resections).
    In May had 3 new small tumors RFA'd.
    4 days ago had 1new tumor RFA'd. All done at Sloan.
    If the results of RFA working are zero, then i guess i am toast, but i doubt that the insurance company would pay for it if it didn't work at least some of the time. I may not be the lucky one, but many people have been successfully treated.
  • janie1
    janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    janie1 said:

liver
    I had a lot of disease in the liver. Had major liver surgery in January (not clear margins with one of the 3 resections).
    In May had 3 new small tumors RFA'd.
    4 days ago had 1new tumor RFA'd. All done at Sloan.
    If the results of RFA working are zero, then i guess i am toast, but i doubt that the insurance company would pay for it if it didn't work at least some of the time. I may not be the lucky one, but many people have been successfully treated.

rfa
    Hey. Just wanted to clarify something about rfa.
    If a tumor is ablated in the liver, that includes going out and around the tumor in the "margins" where there could be more cancer cells.
    The ablation makes like a hole in the liver. If a tumor "returns", as some put it, it really means there are other cancerous cells around, forming a brand new tumor, not that the ablation has been unsuccessful.
    Everyone is different. That's why there's various "opinions". Nothing is etched in stone.