Nightmare of a day!

Options
jamiegww
jamiegww Member Posts: 384
Well, the good news is I got my port today but I feel like I had to really work for it. I was told to be there at 11:00 AM for a 1:00 PM precedure. If you recall, I insisted on getting it placed by an Interventional Radiologist. The trouble started when the nurse had to put in the IV. She was "lazy" and decided to start with the elbow vein (don't know the correct term). She mentioned that she doesn't use lidocaine unless the patient insist on it so I decided to do without. She inserted the IV but kept mentioning that it appeared to be in place but didn't get any blood return. She started the drip and it appeared to be going okay so she decided it was working. For some reason it hurt really bad at first and I thought I was going to pass out so she got me a cold rag to put on my forehead. She communicated to whomever that I was ready to go. About an hour later, I felt like the band was still on my arm so I looked at it and noticed that it was hard and swollen. My husband pressed the nurse call button and they knew as soon as they saw my arm that it had "infiltrated" so they stopped the drip and called another nurse to come in. She removed that IV and attempted to start another but it didn't work either. They were running behind in procedures and I had to wait almost two hours past my scheduled time. Someone in the radiology department was able to start an IV using a tiny baby needle. We finally got home about 7:00 PM but my neck is very sore and I can't stand up straight. I didn't have that problem with the previous port but it wasn't a power port. I sure hope the "pulling feeling" will go away. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have insisted on the radiologist? I'm scheduled to get chemo tomorrow morning but might have to call and postpone until next week. No matter what though, the port is in place and I am ready to take this on!!!

HUGS!!!
Jamie

Comments

• Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Glad the ordeal is over
    Jaimie... how awful. I am sorry you had to go through so much nonsense. That lazy butt nurse was so unprofessional and needs a good talking to about Proper patient care. Glad you are home. I hope the discomfort you feel goes away quickly.

I wish you well with your treatment plan.

Hugs to you.
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Options
    oh my
    Jamie - your day sounds just awful!. I hope tomorrow goes better for you. Hugs, Linda
  • salls41
    salls41 Member Posts: 340
    Options
    pulling feeling
    So sorry for all the aggravation you had to experience! Seems to me the lazy nurse should have never started the drip to begin with! She needs to be evaluated~
    My port left me with a pulling feeling for the first two weeks.. all the folks and docs said it was fine but it was very uncomfortable to me, not painful, just annoying. It did eventually feel better. Good luck to you!
    Sandy
  • peanutcat
    peanutcat Member Posts: 104
    Options
    lazy nurse
    I would of asked for another nurse as soon as you felt the bad pain. That is terrible to go through. I'm a tough draw too as soon as they can't get it the first time they get someone else. Sorry you had to go through that and good luck tommorrow.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    peanutcat said:

lazy nurse
    I would of asked for another nurse as soon as you felt the bad pain. That is terrible to go through. I'm a tough draw too as soon as they can't get it the first time they get someone else. Sorry you had to go through that and good luck tommorrow.

so sorry you endure this horrible experience ...
    my port surgery was very much like yours, and the memories still haunt me. I felt like
    a piece of meat, and not a patient.

I am happy that this is over, and behind you.

Prayers that the healing of your body, mind and soul come quickly.

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam
  • VickiSam
    Options
    peanutcat said:

lazy nurse

my port surgery was very much like yours, and the memories still haunt me. I felt like

Vicki Sam
  • VickiSam
    Options
    peanutcat said:

lazy nurse

Vicki Sam
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Vicki Sam

Oh, Jamie--glad this nightmare is over for you
    I've had a similar experience with an IV for a PET scan--four sticks and probes to get in. I was ready to walk out--but needed that PET scan. Glad the port is finally in and you're ready to take this on and be done with it.

My positive energy and prayers go out to you.

Hugs, Renee
  • MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    Options
    I think VIcki Sam is really
    I think VIcki Sam is really really really REALLY sorry. LOL

I would've told that nurse where she can stick that needle! Obviously she does not have the finesse to do this procedure. I am sorry this happened but happy it's over!

Praying your chemo goes well and does its job.

xoxo
    Mary
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options
    MsGebby said:

I would've told that nurse where she can stick that needle! Obviously she does not have the finesse to do this procedure. I am sorry this happened but happy it's over!

xoxo
    Mary

Praying for better success
    Praying for better success in the chemo department ~ ugh... you poor dear. Keep up that great attitude though... it will get you through this.

Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    I'm sorry the day went so
    I'm sorry the day went so far south...but glad you're home. My port pulled and tugged for a week or two, now I barely notice it. I hope it will be the same for you.

Hugs,

Linda
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that
    I got very little argument from anyone regarding my treatment. This was because I let the staff know that I was doing a lot of research on my type of cancer. It was my way of quietly putting them on notice that I was not going to bLtch unless something was wrong, but that I was also going to self advocate for anything I thought was appropriate. I think that they will be more careful with you from here on out as they don't want to make a boo boo again.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    missrenee said:

Oh, Jamie--glad this nightmare is over for you
    I've had a similar experience with an IV for a PET scan--four sticks and probes to get in. I was ready to walk out--but needed that PET scan. Glad the port is finally in and you're ready to take this on and be done with it.

My positive energy and prayers go out to you.

Hugs, Renee

I don't even know what to
    I don't even know what to say except how sorry I am. Lots of prayers and hugs!

Megan
  • jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    Options

I have noticed that
    I got very little argument from anyone regarding my treatment. This was because I let the staff know that I was doing a lot of research on my type of cancer. It was my way of quietly putting them on notice that I was not going to bLtch unless something was wrong, but that I was also going to self advocate for anything I thought was appropriate. I think that they will be more careful with you from here on out as they don't want to make a boo boo again.

Hope you are feeling better. Always, always, always, insist on a baby or butterfly needle. I won't even present my arm unless I see that they have have one in hand. =) I'd be calling Patient Advocacy on her butt, if for no other reason than just so nobody has to endure what you did.

(((Hugs)))
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Praying for better success
    Praying for better success in the chemo department ~ ugh... you poor dear. Keep up that great attitude though... it will get you through this.

Hugs,
    Lorrie

I am so sorry Jamie. You
    I am so sorry Jamie. You did have a nightmare day. Praying for much better days with your treatment.

Hugs, Debby
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    jendrey said:

Hope you are feeling better. Always, always, always, insist on a baby or butterfly needle. I won't even present my arm unless I see that they have have one in hand. =) I'd be calling Patient Advocacy on her butt, if for no other reason than just so nobody has to endure what you did.

(((Hugs)))

Hoping also that you are
    Hoping also that you are doing better by now. I feel so bad for you and I am so sorry.

Gentle hugs,

Diane
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    MsGebby said:

xoxo
    Mary

Unbelievable and I am very
    Unbelievable and I am very sorry. I am praying your chemo will be the answer for you!

Hugs!