Breast expanders feel like bricks

Options
AvaHumphrey
AvaHumphrey Member Posts: 2
I had double mastectomy and reconstruction expanders two weeks ago. I hate the tightness and it feels like they are sticking into my ribs. Can't breath deep when my muscles tighten. They feel like bricks inside my chest. I just want them ripped out. Off the pain meds from surgery. Why are they so uncomfortable and how do I deal with this over the next few months while they get expanded? Will I be living with chest tightness and brick feeling for years?

Comments

• salls41
    salls41 Member Posts: 340
    Options
    My expanders
    feel like rocks or turtle shells. I have finished with the "fills" and am waiting now for my exchange surgery. The tightness was relieved with Ibuprofen, I took it before and after each fill session and as needed for pain. My PS had me massage mine and it helped me tremendously! Ask about massage before you do this, I have read where others were told not to. I still have some pain on the sides of my expanders as I try to roll over at night but for the most part I am pain free during the day other than some minor phantom nipple pain. If you feel like your pain is from something wrong, talk to your PS. No one should live with pain.
    Good luck!
    Sandy
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    salls41 said:

My expanders
    feel like rocks or turtle shells. I have finished with the "fills" and am waiting now for my exchange surgery. The tightness was relieved with Ibuprofen, I took it before and after each fill session and as needed for pain. My PS had me massage mine and it helped me tremendously! Ask about massage before you do this, I have read where others were told not to. I still have some pain on the sides of my expanders as I try to roll over at night but for the most part I am pain free during the day other than some minor phantom nipple pain. If you feel like your pain is from something wrong, talk to your PS. No one should live with pain.
    Good luck!
    Sandy

... I agree with what has been stated by
    Sandy ...

A little late .. but I am going to add my 2 cents ...
    TE insert at the time of my bilateral mastectomy. 3 weeks later, I had my first fill of 120cc per breast. There is a pinch when the needle enters each breast -- and later there is a tightness due to the increase of fluids. Try try try 60 cc first go around to to gage what you will be dealing with. Just a suggestion.

Ibuprofen taken 1 hours before fill helps, as well as frozen peas (lighter than an ice pack) placed on each breast to help with the inflammation due to fill.

TE are temporary -- but at times, extremely uncomfortable and annoying. Try to
    imagine what the end result will be.

Ask Plastic Surgeon staff what they recommend for the tightness.

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam
  • VickiSam
    Options
    salls41 said:

My expanders
    Good luck!
    Sandy

Sandy ...

A little late .. but I am going to add my 2 cents ...
    TE insert at the time of my bilateral mastectomy. 3 weeks later, I had my first fill of 120cc per breast. There is a pinch when the needle enters each breast -- and later there is a tightness due to the increase of fluids. Try try try 60 cc first go around to to gage what you will be dealing with. Just a suggestion.

Ibuprofen taken 1 hours before fill helps, as well as frozen peas (lighter than an ice pack) placed on each breast to help with the inflammation due to fill.

TE are temporary -- but at times, extremely uncomfortable and annoying. Try to
    imagine what the end result will be.

Ask Plastic Surgeon staff what they recommend for the tightness.

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam
  • VickiSam
    Options
    salls41 said:

My expanders
    Good luck!
    Sandy

... grrr double post ...
  • Faith1122
    Faith1122 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Not years!
    I had my exchange surgery a 2 1/2 weeks ago & the implants are sooooooooo much better then the expanders! They look & feel better. I agree with everyone about taking advil. I had pain from the expanders mostly when I woke up in the morning. I never felt the needle or anything but tightness when they filled them. Good luck & try to remember it is temporary :0)
  • Faith1122
    Faith1122 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Not years!
    I had my exchange surgery a 2 1/2 weeks ago & the implants are sooooooooo much better then the expanders! They look & feel better. I agree with everyone about taking advil. I had pain from the expanders mostly when I woke up in the morning. I never felt the needle or anything but tightness when they filled them. Good luck & try to remember it is temporary :0)