What can be done after ixempra and zeloda?

Options
Mel0760
Mel0760 Member Posts: 3
Hi!
My sister in law is in the last part of her journey with stage IV breast cancer. She was just on a treatment that consisted of Zeloda and Ixempra. It halted the progression in the lungs and bones but it still grew in her liver. She was on this treatment cuz the Gemzar stopped working.

Her onc is trying to figure out what to do next. He wants to help not harm her at this point. She just came home from the hospital from a bout of pneumonia. She is so weak. She cant even stand up on her own.

Has anyone else been at this point...if so, what are you taking now?

Thanx so much.

Mel

Comments

• Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    Hello Mel,
    I'm so sorry

Hello Mel,

I'm so sorry you've had a need to find us, but this is a very special group...

I'm also stage IV and there are others here as well. There are many options with chemo. At stage III I did Taxotere/Cytoxan/Adriamycin. Since it's been back, I've done Xeloda and Abraxane. I'll be starting Navelbine in a little while, and there are others. If you haven't been there yet Chemocare.com is a great website for various chemos.

As you may know, different chemos effect the cancer in different ways. Since stage IV, my doc has always said that his goal is to balance my quality of life with the effectiveness of the chemo. So he tries to find the drug that will be effective, but will still allow me to enjoy my family and live fully. It sounds like that is what your SIL's doc is trying to do too.

However, I haven't had the complication of pneumonia...although she is so weak it sounds like good news that she is home. Is she taking a break from the chemo to regain some strength?

I wish you both the very best. Please come back and let us know how you and your SIL are doing.

Hugs,

Linda