Frequency of changing PEG tube

Options
buzz99
buzz99 Member Posts: 404
I did a search and could not find any information on how often the PEG needs to be changed. In May, Buzz had a new PEG inserted. We were told to have it replaced in August. My concern is that now that he is on Hospice and becoming weaker by the day, do I put him through another tube change? I don't know if I will even be able to get him to Interventional Radiology for the procedure. Anyone know how often to change the tube? Karen

Comments

• Ingrid K
    Ingrid K Member Posts: 813
    Options
    no need to change out PEG
    Karen,
    i had my PEG in for 18 months without any problems. I agree with you about not wanting to put him thru that trauma...I really don't think it is necessary.

Others may have more advice, but I would NOT do it.
  • blackswampboy
    blackswampboy Member Posts: 341
    Options
    why replace?
    my PEG was also installed in May, and nobody has said anything about need for replacement. I'm not planning on it.
  • Laralyn
    Laralyn Member Posts: 532
    Options
    Mine was placed in April...
    ...and not a word about replacing it. I think some folks here have had theirs for more than a year?
  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    I'm like everyone above.....
    they put my tube in in April....the only thing I've heard about my tube since that time is "no, you better not get it taken out".......

I wouldn't put him thru that either...maybe ask the Dr. to run that one by you again, and ask why he thinks it needs to be done.

p
  • Vikeman10
    Vikeman10 Member Posts: 62
    Options

I'm like everyone above.....
    they put my tube in in April....the only thing I've heard about my tube since that time is "no, you better not get it taken out".......

I wouldn't put him thru that either...maybe ask the Dr. to run that one by you again, and ask why he thinks it needs to be done.

p

I agree with the others, I
    I agree with the others, I got mine December 2010 and replaced it in April 2012 because it was leaking and the balloon had deflated. Everything I have read says to keep them in until they become worn or block.

Randy
  • hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    Vikeman10 said:

I agree with the others, I
    I agree with the others, I got mine December 2010 and replaced it in April 2012 because it was leaking and the balloon had deflated. Everything I have read says to keep them in until they become worn or block.

Randy

I had a G-tube about 5 months. Unless there is something wrong with the tube, I don't understand why they would change it? God bless you & your husband during this difficult time.
  • George_Baltimore
    George_Baltimore Member Posts: 303
    Options
    hwt said:

I had a G-tube about 5 months. Unless there is something wrong with the tube, I don't understand why they would change it? God bless you & your husband during this difficult time.

Agree
    I concur with everyone. There is no set time to replace it. You can pretty much tell when it needs replacing. Even if it has to be replaced, it can be done so without anesthesia or pain. As long as the tube remains in place so that the stoma doesn't start closing up, the balloon should be able to be deflated, the tube pulled out and another tube put in and then the new balloon inflated. This is what happened the second time my balloon deflated on its own. I do stress though that the tube must remain in place until you get to the doctor's office or hospital to have it replaced. I taped the tube in place and got to the hospital. They took the tape off, took the tube out and replaced it, inflated the new balloon with saline and I went on my way without the slightest pain.
  • patricke
    patricke Member Posts: 570
    Options
    TUBE CHANGE
    Hey Karen, as everyone else has said, unless the tube is not functioning, or is exceedingly heavily colonized by fungi, there is no need to change it. I get mine changed every 18-24 months, when it is absolutely necessary. The gastrointerologist will probably give you the same advice; you can always check with him/her for reassurance. I'm sorry to hear that buzz is in Hospice care.

PATRICK
  • Greend
    Greend Member Posts: 678
    Options
    My peg
    I only replace it when I have a problem...three out of four were because they started to leak. One time it just came out. I wouldn't change it unless you have to....inserting a new one is not that much stress.

Hang in there.

Denny