Still feeling body pain

Options
Jobi
Jobi Member Posts: 211
Hi, Ladies,

I have been finished with chemo since June 28th, but I am still feeling body pain...mostly in the morning and evening. I try to walk as much as possible to exercise, and I just started yoga, but the pain is still there. I am on Tamoxifan for 5 years; just started that.

Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Thanks!

Dorene

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Tamoxifen...
    I am not on tamoxifen but from what I have read from our pinks that take it, I have a close friend on it, also, is that they experience these side effects, pain, discomfort, joint pain, weight gain, etc.. Hopefully, other sisters will chime in....

Hugs, Nancy
  • ksf56
    ksf56 Member Posts: 202
    Options
    Hi Dorene
    It's wonderful that you finished chemo - it's great to have that out of the way! I can say that since I finished chemo in Jan. 2012, I have continued having pains in my joints - it actually, seems to be getting a little bit worse. It's probably from the combo of chemo, radiation and aging but I've heard from several people that it continues. This is all individual and some say it decreases pretty much during the first year. I sure hope that you don't have to wait that long. Best to you!

Karen
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    Dorene
    Initially I had a right mastectomy followed by chemo then Tamoxifen. I only made it 6-8 months on the Tamoxifen as it worked as a toxin in my body. My first surgery was Feb 2002, finished chemo in July, last reconstruction surgery November 2002. Was active through out the treatments trying not to gain weight from steroids and Tamoxifen (didn't work, still put on 20 lbs).

Pain continued for a good year. Attributed part to Tamoxifen, and my doctor said from the chemo I developed some osteoarthritis in hips and joints. He prescribed something for this.

He informed me that my body had gone through so much, and it takes at least that much time to heal. Like so many of us and those who haven't been through it before, I really believed that once the treatments were over, everything would go right back to where it was! Not so. Wish I had been on this site then!

But I did get there, it just took longer than "Miss No Patients" wanted. You will get there, and wake up one day and just go wow, I don't hurt anymore!!

Best to you!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    sorry for your pain..I did
    sorry for your pain..I did not do chemo...but am I tamoxifen (4 yrs next month) I have no side effects from it...(other then thickend uterus which is common and had hysterctomy a year ago)

I am sure you will get much info here from others...

My last day of radiation was JUNE 28,08...so you will have this under your belt in no time with years gone by...like me...

Feel better

Denise
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    camul said:

Dorene
    Initially I had a right mastectomy followed by chemo then Tamoxifen. I only made it 6-8 months on the Tamoxifen as it worked as a toxin in my body. My first surgery was Feb 2002, finished chemo in July, last reconstruction surgery November 2002. Was active through out the treatments trying not to gain weight from steroids and Tamoxifen (didn't work, still put on 20 lbs).

Pain continued for a good year. Attributed part to Tamoxifen, and my doctor said from the chemo I developed some osteoarthritis in hips and joints. He prescribed something for this.

He informed me that my body had gone through so much, and it takes at least that much time to heal. Like so many of us and those who haven't been through it before, I really believed that once the treatments were over, everything would go right back to where it was! Not so. Wish I had been on this site then!

But I did get there, it just took longer than "Miss No Patients" wanted. You will get there, and wake up one day and just go wow, I don't hurt anymore!!

Best to you!

Congrats to you Dorene for
    Congrats to you Dorene for finishing chemo! I am not on tamox, but, I do know many sisters say that they have pain with it. What does your onco say?

Hoping you feel better.

Hugs, Angie
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Hi Dorene,
    Remember, you are less than one month from finishing chemo. It does take awhile to get it completely out of your system. I finished chemo almost 2 years ago and Herceptin only less than one year ago. Even though I didn't have major side effects from either, the further I get away from Herceptin the better my joints feel, especially my knees.

Hope you are still planning on joining us for dinner at Hershey.

xxxx,
    Jean
  • Pinky68
    Pinky68 Member Posts: 206 Member
    Options

sorry for your pain..I did not do chemo...but am I tamoxifen (4 yrs next month) I have no side effects from it...(other then thickend uterus which is common and had hysterctomy a year ago)

My last day of radiation was JUNE 28,08...so you will have this under your belt in no time with years gone by...like me...

Feel better

Denise

Congrats on finishing chemo!!!
    Also sorry for your pain......I finished chemo Aug. 2011 and finished rads Oct. 2011.. I had pain in my hips,pelvis,knees,ankles and inner calf. I was low on vitamin D (25) and low on vitamin B (200). I started taking supplements and joined the gym, and that has helped considerably. I still have a constant pain in my inside left calf that is tender to the touch...(I don't know why but my doc doesn't seem concerned)

So for me the pain is getting better and I'm sure yours will too!!! Especially since you just finished chemo...... I'm taking Megace(Megestral) instead of Tamoxifen, for ER+@99% and PR+@70%(still don't know why my onco chose megace)....

I'm so glad your walking and exercising, I have found wearing very good supportive shoes really helps as opposed to super cute flat sandals..Also, the pain was always worse in the morning and evening as well as yours...
    I'm sure your pain will improve just like mine did!! I'm sure you'll get lots more experiences and insights as everyone here is very knowledgeable...
    Courage to you and have a super day!
    Joyce
  • Jobi
    Jobi Member Posts: 211
    Options
    camul said:

Dorene

Best to you!

Thanks so much for the info
    Thanks so much for the info ladies! It is so nice to have someone understand what I am feeling. It is hard for me and others to understand that the journey is not yet complete and that I still hurt. However, after reading your posts, I do feel better and more informed!

Dorene
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

Feel better

Denise

I wonder if your pain could
    I wonder if your pain could be partly due to your just finishing chemo Dorene. I am hoping that it completely goes away for you very soon.

Hugs, Kylez