I am new here

Options
2»

Comments

• Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    Options
    I am 4 years clear of colon
    I am 4 years clear of colon cancer- hang in there, the first visits, treatment, PET exam are always the toughest, it will get easier as you get into a routine. I also had a case manager and she was a life saver. She probbed me a bit with each phone call and really helped me sort through my numbness and anger. (I wasn't on this board then!)

Hope your meeting with your kids was good. Mine were all older- my youngest was 17. It was tough on them, really had to face that life does has obstacles. But we made it and think we are closer because of the experience.
  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    many others will help you get through the journey
    Welcome to the Board, and sorry that you are here. We are sending our good vibes, prayers, thoughts etc... your way!

I was 43 and had a similar first surgery to yours. This is a new normal. Get soft toilet paper, Alcohol free Baby wipes, ginger, gator aid, Nupercanal, and bananas. You will also be cold no matter how warm it is outside. I could not control my body temp. I would be cold, then get in the pool because I could not cool off. Ove Gloves for getting things out of the Refrigerator or freezer.

Exercise and keeping hydrated will be your difficulties. You lost a piece of your colon which helps us gain hydration from our food. It is better to pee a lot then get dehydrated.

You will do well! Keep mentally strong! It was easier for me to accept this as a new normal for a short period of time. As soon as I did that, I stopped the crying and started to try harder to get out and exercise, etc... No matter how bad I felt, getting out and taking a walk always made me feel better after. There were times that I stayed real close to the house for bathroom necessities, else it was good for me to get out. My dogs loved all of the extra walks also!

Keep in touch and many others will help you get through the journey.
    Best Always, mike
  • joemetz
    joemetz Member Posts: 493
    Options
    Maxiecat said:

I am going to be getting the
    I am going to be getting the Folfox...6 months worth - every 2 weeks with the pump for 46 hours after the infusion. I am starting to get a little anxious this afternoon... my 1st treatment is tomorrow morning.

I am still on the fence about the Case Manager - it does seem like a conflict of interest - but I read through the paperwork and I can refuse her help at any time.

As for the kids - my DH and I talked this morning - and we are going to talk to them this afternoon. They know that I have been sick...they just don't know what it is and that I will be going to get treatment for the next 6 months.

Alex

1st treatment
    good luck with your treatments today.

go there with a positive attitude and be strong for your kids and your husband.

If you're stronger than them today, their strength will carry you through any tough times ahead.

tell those chemo nurses that you want every drop of the chemo drugs.

you're in my prayers & thoughts as well as your husband and kids.

my best

Joe
  • steved
    steved Member Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    The kids
    Can relate to your situation- was stage 3 back in 2004 at the age of 31 and had the same 'how could this be happening to me feelings'. This early phase of treatments is very overwhelming nd you feel like you are on an out of control treadmill of investigations, results, treatments and symptoms. It does slow and you will get you head around the whole thing.

In the meantime it may be worth thinking more about the kids.As you say they know something is happening and will have worries as to what that 'something' is. Just like adults they may aslo picture the worst case scenario and be struggling to cope with knowing something but not enough to be able to begin to deal with it.Perhaps talk together as a couple about how to talk to them further. In truth being open and honest about the stuff you know is often the best option. We recently had to tell our kids (5 and 8)about me going in to have an amputation and it was the hardest conversation I have ever had. They valued the chance to ask questions and to 'know' stuff- we still keep from them the stuff we don't know for sure eg the cancer may be incurable and may kill me at some point (it is almost intolerable for us to think about these things and I think until they are things we 'know' it is best to protect the kids from the uncertainties).

We all have a different way of dealing with this with the kids- I do think it adds a whole new dimension to managing this illness- and there is no 'right' way. But a some pointthose conversations need to be had and it may actually be a relief for the kids to be let into stuff they are clearly aware is going on.

steve
  • Connie43
    Connie43 Member Posts: 44
    Options
    nurse
    My insurance company didn't offer anything like that. But was I fortunate as our church had just hired a Parish Nurse. She came to my house, and helped me with questions for the surgeon and went to appointment where he told me his plan for sending me to an oncologist. Is there a local support group in your area? I had 2 neighbors with cancer so I also got advice from their children. Good luck.