Bras after reconstruction

Options
salls41
salls41 Member Posts: 340
Just wondering if anyone found a preference in bras after reconstruction or is this something my PS will tell me that I should have?
Thanks!
Sandy

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Bras after reconstruction
    Hi Sandy,

I had a right mastectomy and had a tissue expander put in 2/2010. I had the expander replaced by a saline implant in 6/2011. At the same time I had a breast lift/reduction on the opposite side. In 12/2011 I had the saline implant replaced by a silicone implant. During the 3 months after the surgery my plastic surgeon suggested that I wear a stretchy compression-type bra called a "sassy back." It held the girls firmly in place and was quite comfortable. After that she said whether or not to even wear a bra was entirely up to me. The implant side is firm and really doesn't move much. The reduced side is softer and moves a bit but I can easily get away with no bra at all if I so choose. I bought 2 Bali bras without any underwires. I don't need the support an underwire gives anymore and find the soft bras more comfortable. Sometimes I still wear the "sassy back" bras. No bones and poking involved there. I hope this was of some help for you. Good luck.

IRENE
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different
    I know nothing about recon and the suggestions for dealing with it but there are many who do. Talk with your surgeon as he/she knows your personal situtation/surgery

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan
  • Faith1122
    Faith1122 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Bras
    Hi Sandy! My surgeon told me to get these cotton sports bras that have hook & eye closure in the middle & they sell them at Walmart. They told me to get 2 sizes. They are quite comfortable & inexpensive. You def want something that closes in the middle. A few more weeks into the expander portion, I wore the genie bra which has a removable cup & was perfect when I wore something more form fitting to give me a nice shape. Good luck!
  • debsweb18
    debsweb18 Member Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    HiSandy,
    I had immediate

HiSandy,
    I had immediate implant during mastectomy.I was told no underwire bras for 3 months. I bought some stethchy maternity bras at first that were great for after surgery and I still use them for exercise. I found 2 bras without underwire. This 3 months kept strethchig because I kept having more surgery. Lumptectomy, mastectormy, lift other side and exchanged implant on first side. I'm now 3 months from last surgery just went shopping for new underwire bras. All my old bras were the wrong side. Yeah! Ask your PS what you should wear and for how long.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    debsweb18 said:

HiSandy,
    I had immediate

HiSandy,
    I had immediate implant during mastectomy.I was told no underwire bras for 3 months. I bought some stethchy maternity bras at first that were great for after surgery and I still use them for exercise. I found 2 bras without underwire. This 3 months kept strethchig because I kept having more surgery. Lumptectomy, mastectormy, lift other side and exchanged implant on first side. I'm now 3 months from last surgery just went shopping for new underwire bras. All my old bras were the wrong side. Yeah! Ask your PS what you should wear and for how long.

... soft, sports bra's --
    My Plastic Surgeon recommended the the hook & eye (front closing), 2 sizes as well.
    Cotton - for comfort. I was also instructed to wear these bra's - 24 hours a day
    for the first few months. Please confirm with your Surgeon what his/her preference
    would be for you.

Good luck, and happy bra shopping.

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam
  • salls41
    salls41 Member Posts: 340
    Options
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate your advice and information! I am so looking forward to my exchange in September~ although being braless with the expanders has been kind of nice for me.. I was pretty well endowed and braless has not been an option for me since I was about 9! I am 52 now. Again~ thank you!!
  • AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    Options
    Bra
    I had a bilateral mastecomy March 2010 with expanders. I had replacement surgery in Oct. 2010. I was told to wear a sports bra for about 3 months. When I was released from PS, I really haven't worn a bra since. I went to a speciality store and payed big bucks for one that I've maybe worn 5 times. With the implants I really don't need to wear one and I certainly don't wearing one. The choice it yours once you are healed.

Janie