Options
2»

Comments

• VanessaSLO
    VanessaSLO Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Sam999 said:

welcome to the group George.

welcome to the group George. As others said, we are sorry you have to join, but if you had to join, this is one of the best bunch of people. I am 3 plus weeks out of treatment and slowly healing.

We will help you with any questions you have. It is a scary journey but you will get thru it before you know.

We will help you with anything we have learned. There are many wise long term survivors on this forum that help so much.

Sam

Welcom George!
    This is the best place you could come to!

As some people here, including you, also my father starts his journey! On Wednesday - the first chemoradiotherapy. He has cancer of oropharynx (base of tongue) with multiple lymph nodes involved, stage IV.

We will all be here to support each other, so you must join us, keep us posted and believe me, you're gonna have the victory of your life!!!

God bless!
  • buzz99
    buzz99 Member Posts: 404
    Options
    Welcome to the dubious "club"
    We were in your shoes 2 years ago. I didn't know how we would get through treatment. The wonderful people on this site helped us so much with suggestions and words of encouragement. Take care and soon this will be behind you. Karen
  • bjw1955
    bjw1955 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    hope

George, I wish the best for you and never give up hope.bjw1955
  • Just George
    Just George Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Kent Cass said:

CT only?
    Most of us also have Pet Scans with diagnosis, and I wondered if you've gotten one of those, yet? PS/CT are the best tool C Drs have in finding where the C is located, which includes the possibility of a more distant site that should also be treated. That has long been the standard with diagnosis, George, so you might wanna ask your Drs about it, if you haven't gotten a PS/CT.

Survival rates are high for most H&N Cs, and hope your's is in the highs, George. Let us know what the Drs tell you. Keep it in the Positive- you will survive this thing.

Believe

kcass

What is a Pet Scan? I'll
    What is a Pet Scan? I'll add that to my list of questions for the Tumor Board meeting this Monday. That's when they are going to tell me my treatment plan. They say it's about a 4-hour meeting with several doctors and includes several tests. Maybe the Pet Scan will be included.

Thanks again for your kind thoughts.

Geo
  • blackswampboy
    blackswampboy Member Posts: 341
    Options

What is a Pet Scan? I'll
    What is a Pet Scan? I'll add that to my list of questions for the Tumor Board meeting this Monday. That's when they are going to tell me my treatment plan. They say it's about a 4-hour meeting with several doctors and includes several tests. Maybe the Pet Scan will be included.

Thanks again for your kind thoughts.

Geo

stands for Positron Emission Tomography
    they give you an infusion of radioactive glucose and scan your entire body to determine level of organ function. useful to determine if a cancer is present and/or has metastasized. typically a cancerous organ/tissue uses more glucose and shows up 'brighter' in the scan.

make sure you have your insurance in order before booking. the single most expensive item in the entire length of treatment, by far.
  • shoeloy
    shoeloy Member Posts: 70
    Options
    Welcome
    Hey George,

I was diagnosed with hypopharyngeal cancer in Dec 2010, stage 3. Was treated at MD Anderson in Katy, Tx. Best team on earth, Had 4 rounds of inductive chemo, 35 rads, with concurrent chemo. The road is not fun, but doctors assured me from the beginning that the cancer is curable and gave me an 80% chance of cure. I am now 1 1/2 years out of treatment and doing good. Of course there are side effects that I am dealing with, but it certainly beats the alternative. God is good and will see you through what he has brought you to.

If you need more information let me know.

Loyd