Some can donate blood/organs after BC

Options
Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
Roseann posted the great news that she has been approved to donate a kidney to her Son after BC. That is fantastic but quite complicated to be able to do BUT for many of us who have been blood donors and thought that we could not ever donate again - we can (as long as everything else makes us elligiable). We can also be listed as 'Organ Donors' - at the time the Drs will make the decision of what is useable.

The current USA national standards are with breast cancer (and some other forms) is that you are 1 yr post TX (HT/Hormone Therapy is not considered. TX.) with no recurrances/mets. The National Standards are followed by the Red Cross and United Blood Services but there are some private ones that do have more strict rules. There are some forms of CA that can never donate but BC is not one of them as long as all the other peramiters are met.

Just thought I'd pass it along again as we have many new ones. I go in the 25th for my next donation. Was ready last month but they had a "Guns N Hoses" (Police vs Firemen) challenge blood drive about that time so they got a lot donating anyway so I decided to wait til the last week of July because during Rally (Sturgis Motorcycle Rally) there is always a lot of blood needed in late July/early Aug. So any who have been donors in the past (or would like to be) check with your local facility.

Also you can still be an Organ Donor. As with anyone, the Drs at the time of death will determine what can be used. IF I remember correctly - corneas can be used from all.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    IN event of my death---I
    IN event of my death---I carry donor card..I sure hope so...! I wish is was more well known years ago when My dad died (when I was a dean) To think how many lives one person can save..

I"ll check back to see updates